Crunching noise from drivers side wheel

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Hi

Was starting to worry a bit today! Car got it's last service on Tuesday prior to the warranty running out and guess what? Out for a run with the family today and suddenly loud "crunching" / "grinding" noise which appeared to be coming from drivers side front. The garage had warned me that the power steering pump needed replacing (so they ordered one up) and did wonder if it was that. But on investigation it turned out to be a small piece of gravel stuck between the metal back plate and the brake caliper. You would not believe the noise this made!!! So panic over.

As an aside. I'm rather assuming that the power steering pump will still be sorted under warranty, as it was identified before it ran out, even if they can't sort the part and fix it before the 26th Feb (when the Seat 3 year warranty runs out)... Anyone any experience of this happening????

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If I were you, I'd document the steering pump situation in a letter to Seat so it's there for the record, just in case.
My dealers were adamant they wouldn't replace anything after warranty expiry, even if it was diagnosed before.

BTW, I also had a similar problem with brake noise, it only happened every so often but sounded horrendous, I had all sorts of horrible expensive theories in my head about what could be wrong. Turned out one of the backplates had bent slightly and touched the disk, so an easy and free fix !!

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Thanks muddyboots.

Think Ill give Harper and Hebson a phone on Monday and see what they say. Must admit you've got me a little worried now!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
You might be fine and have better dealers that are more reasonable about things like this, but just in case...

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Thanks again.

Decided to Phone Harper & Hebson just now. Rather nice little girl said "no problems Mr Owen, as long as it's booked on one of our warranty cards it's still a warranty job however long it takes to turn up". Phew....

Mind you, made a provisional booking, as they are currently booked up solid for the next FIVE weeks. Certainly a popular garage. My experiences there are that they do seem to offer above average service.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members