Cupra Engine Cover and SEAT Sport Strut Brace - how much cutting is required?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hey folks,

It seems that a SEAT Sport strut brace is known to knock/foul on the Cupra engine cover and/or standard airbox.

Can anyone who has had this problem tell me how much cutting was required to stop this, and if anything was done to the airbox as well?

I don't want to masacre the engine cover if I buy one, and the same goes for the airbox.

I want to keep the engine bay looking 100% standard, apart from the strut brace, although I'd probably get it powdercoated black.

If you've got pics that'd be great too.

Thanks very much.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Got the strut brace for mine and it's more the airbox than the engine cover that causes the problem for me it really does knock a fair bit, it's a shame I'm skint or it would be a cracking excuse to buy a new air filter lol. I don't fancy cutting anything myself but if there are any other methods to stop this happening I would be interested in knowing too.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
See, I don't want to replace the standard airbox. I'm wondering if there is another airbox lid from perhaps another vehicle that may fit.. but I'd have to look into this.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I wouldn't mind replacing mine at some point but for the moment at least I would like to know if there is a simple alternative method to stop it happening. I don't know if it can be relocated slightly perhaps, I haven't looked properly yet.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
maybe a washer or two will raise the strut brace a bit. i dont have a brace so i dont know if this is advised.
with longer bolts to fill the space taken by the washer im sure it wouldnt be a problem.

Thought about this, just concerned the brace will then foul on the bonnet. Not sure how close it is when fitted.

Suppose only way to find out is to fit one.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Suppose only way to find out is to fit one.

use bluetack to hold it in place and stick 3 more small towers of blu-tack on it and lower each time until you work out how close it's getting

used to use the same trick to help fit alarm bonnet switches many moons ago

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ah ha - good plan that man.

I'd need to see a strut brace fitted though, as it may not be height that is the issue. Tis the trouble with figuring this out when I don't have one (yet).

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Here is a shot of mine after cutting it... I trimmed it across the top righthand corner and took off that raised lip bit! It could do with a bit more off the lump where the DV sits removing TBH but I don't run with it on at the moment so I have not got round to doing this.
CIMG2054.jpg

This one is of it trimmed and back in place. You can see how much it needed to go down to get under the brace!
CIMG2051.jpg

CIMG2052.jpg

Before, just to compare...
CIMG1888.jpg

Last edited:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
No problems. Nothing needed doing to the airbox as it fits under (just).

I wish mine did mine is actually quite tight under the brace, just goes to show how different each car is lol, but if some have clearance and some don't I'm hoping there is room to adjust it slightly a maybe get some space between the two.

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
Where did you get yours from guys?

If it wasn't already on that it?

Never even knew you could get engine covers for the 1.8T's!

andypandypoos

Rodeo Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Cowley, Oxford
got a SEAT Sport strut brace on my Cupra TDI, engine cover wasn't an issue but it did knock/rattle on the airbox. whilst the car was at Unit18 for something else Ross stuck what I think was a little bit of sticky back felt on the offending edge...problem solved :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.