Daily Mirror - Richard Hammond

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Oh Dear Mr Hamster doesnt like the Cupra at all, up against the Civic Type R

"The Seat is not up to the job of providing as much fun as other hot hatches and yet it costs more than many and offers no more practicality, style or comfort to compensate.

Fair enough !

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
it seems like SEAT have missed the boat with the new Cupra having said that reading my new top gear magazine in clarksons article he actually says he enjoyed driving s SEAT leon diesel

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
Well I love my cupra, and I don't care what anyone else thinks. (okay mum i'll get off the chair and stop stamping my feet :lol: ) I wouldn't even consider the Civic because of the way it looks :sick:

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
I think SEAT will pick up on this actually change that i hope SEAT pick up on this and release an 'R' version with meaner looks, 260bhp LSD etc etc then we will all flock to the dealers

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
i saw my first civic type r on the road the other day 07 plate and it was driven by 2 lads younger than me with baseball caps and fred perry coats i was like they must have stolen it. However looking at all the pics of the type R i dont like it but in the flesh it chnaged my opinion completly and it sounds really nice on idle

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
it seems like SEAT have missed the boat with the new Cupra having said that reading my new top gear magazine in clarksons article he actually says he enjoyed driving s SEAT leon diesel

I think if you re-read the article he is saying how much how dislikes it, and that although VW & Seat are the ''same'' the Golf still is th better car, i think

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
i have just re read it and he says the leon doesnt feel like a golf at all and this has cheered him up enormously

Moley RUFC

Up in the Lickeys........
Nov 20, 2006
Lickey,Worcs
I might be wrong but thats because it proves that not all cars are the same , even if they are 99% the same under the bonnet. Its cheered him up to know that although Seat Leon & VW Golf are the same family one is still miles different from the other. Judging by the line ''I accidently drove the Leon the other, which annoyed me greatly'' i clearly feels the Leon is far from Golf territory even if it is the same.

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
As good a car as it no doubt is (i've resisted the temptation to test drive one, so far).. it will never be the cult type car that the CupraR was, and thats for a number of reasons.

1. It looks too ordinary, and looks too similar to the FR.

2. It's power output is nothing to shout about anymore.... when the first CupraR came out, even in 210bhp form it was something of a milestone for a FWD hot hatch.

3. The last R made a very good job out of what is a very poor chassis - off all the VAG group cars on that platform, only the CupraR and the R32 made a real fun drive out of it. This made both cars quite unique, in an odd sort of way.

4. Price. Last time round, the R had so few in terms of competition, it was an absolute steal for around £17k. Now priced higher, and with a Golf GTI that actually goes and handles, the incentive for paying slightly less for a marginallly improved car that will depreciate quicker and has a poorer interior isnt a very sensible one.

A year old CupraR is more appealing to be honest... both in price and in driving terms. In essence its probably no slower and has more presence.

I'm not debating the new chassis is a corker.... i've driven my mates GTI enough to know that, and it can handle so much more than 200bhp easily. It's just that the VW is such a great all round package, plus the fact there are some serious alternatives now outside of the VAG brand, that the Cupra is somewhat missing the target.

Paul_W

Jul 23, 2006
Rutland
I'd take the Cupra over the Type R. Mainly because I don't like how you have to keep the Honda engine at stupid rpm to get decent power from it. I know what he means about the interior of the Leon though. Doesn't seem like much time/money was spent on designing the dashboard/centre console. Very bland. When it comes to replacing my Leon SE 20v I'm still hoping to get an LCR.

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
Its absolutely no use listening to motoring journalists they only say what they are paid to say it has always been like that and always will the bigger the name the more they get paid
When i worked for citroen so did clarkson and he never had a bad word to say about them not so true now is it.
At the moment Seat is still a small fish in a big pond so will never get a realy good review against the likes of honda / vw / ford etc

HarryKatinnen

My personal opinion of the civic type r is that it is made for the chav!

Hadn't noticed the Stig wearing Burberry racing overalls recently:drive1: (See last months Top Gear mag...he seemed to like the Type R)

I've already driven the Type R and have to say I was impressed...I'm 43 and in no way could I ever be described as a chav. Looking forward to taking the Cupra out. I am sure they are both fab cars, just different in the way they do things.

Xe

I like the Leon interior, nice and simple and uncluttered. Would even go as far to say sleek :p

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise