Dave's Little 1.4 TSI LEON MK2 (Warning Pic Heavy)

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
More photos :)
Turbo Downpipe / Custom SportsCat will be added by the end of the month

28468960.jpg

30694680.jpg

33753078.jpg

Looks great Dave. You really have put some effort into your lovely motor! :)

rev1

Any progress on the engine mods ? Been watching your project and i am thinking about the same mods for my mk5 1.4 tfsi. Keep us posted :D.

Good job so far !

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
Bit short on cash at the moment, I did alot before as its been saved up for that purpose so im saving up again and doing another batch upgrade...engine wise there's afew more bits I can do but not whole lot - most of my parts were custom made as there weren't any when I had the car from new that is...I will update as soon as I have something new added

I did experience some engine issues with the car, it was misfiring and I ended up getting the engine light on the dash but it was cleared with an VAG COM it was diagnose'd with 3 random misfiring and I was advise to change the spark plugs (im at 10k on the clock) so im going to get this done next week and it should help but yea other than that nothing else > What I personally suggest is to upgrade the handling, mine does turn but when i throw it around corners it will roll alittle so I want to make it stiffer but yea im happy with the power it gets me around and it suprises afew too.

rev1

What software are you running on the engine ? Some chiptuners require the change of the spark plugs from what i've red.

Anyway, good luck on the downpipe/de cat, and make sure you re-adapt the software after those mods.You shouldn't reach quite higher numbers, but the engine will breathe more easily and you'll have much quicker pedal response throughout the rev range..

Im planning on a software and a stiffer suspension by the end of the summer.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
Im currently running a fully custom remap courtsey of FORGE, and its working fine..im not sure what has happened with the spark plugs I not even checked them yet been working way too much but it drives okay its not bad enough for me to dismantle it.

Like I said there is still more mods coming but im just playin the waiting game as TSI engines are becoming a hit at the moment should have loads more stuff for them :) keep in touch if like or any future meets ! dave-

rev1

Ok so its Forge, dont know if they use they're on engineers or borrow from someone else.Anyway, i've heard great so far about Revo; regarding the spark plugs, they've suggested new ones in the case of a software which was making around 290nm, or so they claim.

And yea we should have lots of mods available as the tsi are reaching they're age, so its great.

PS: Im from Romania, tuff job to meet :D.

Cheers

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Dave car looks MINT :D you have done a superb job!

How goes the boost gauge install? If you finished lets see it, or put that to the top of your list plese ;) those guys at Forge should be able to help you with the install if they willing?

Well done!

rev1

Hello Dave, i've recently chipped my 1.4 tfsi, i must say the difference is pretty noticeable, and i also agree on the darth vader sound, with the airbox lid off, and stock filter, its pretty much so. You should really speak with Revotehnik about a new software, with your cat-back on, and filter, you should make around 164-165 and 280-300nm depending on spark plugs. Also a friend of mine added an extra intercooler along the way, from an 1.8T VAG engine, without software, he said he gained around 15-20 hp.

PS: Check out this stage 3 mod, bb-automobiltechnik .de/bb2004/de/produkte/motoren/vw/golf/V/mvw_golf_v_14tsi.php , you can use babelfish to translate, you can use babelfish to translate, 1.4 tfsi page is only in german.

make sure you type the www in front of the link and remove the space before .de, cannot post links untill after 15 posts :ban:.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ-V5

Jun 27, 2009
That looks very tidy! I wouldnt be too disappointed with the remap results. Especially if it was running over standard when it was new. Its still 40 brake over what VW quote it should be which is about right when you think of it!

matt-tsi

Matt-TSI
Dec 20, 2009
recently bought a tsi leon myself and love it! havnt plans for it yet not too sure what way to go! the information posted here from dave is very useful and is a great read! very interesting! cheers!...also im new to this site! will get pics up sometime!

GLYN SOLEY

Jun 22, 2009
Letchworth herts
added FR Bumper thanks to SerenMotors (dave), Aero Spoiler Fitter, Painted the Brakes Red and the usual shine polish :) err still missing dressing
painted the cali's with a tiny art brush took 1 one day for the front and 1 day for the rear (it got boring...) savage brake paint in red from ebay good stuff no dripping just a pot already mixed.
autoglym metal polish then poor boys wheel sealant for the wheels...

All good more to come soon I'll get some good pictures soon off to brecon this weekend :)

47389430.jpg

dsc00001hcv.jpg

dsc00007out.jpg

dsc00014bve.jpg
i think the spoiler looks great Dave , what was total cost with purchase/paint and fitting . I'm looking add the same to my leon .

audilover

Hi dave any updates on the car ?

I have the same engine we have just remaped with revo but i am not happy with the performance at all.I have checked with vag knock correction is about 7 degres with boost load and intercooler temprature is around 45 celcus.I want to add intercooler but i couldnt find any info about installing it .
What is the status of your car and results for now?

thank's alot for helpfull topic and good luck with the car.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
I don't drive this Leon anymore I part ex it for another Leon but the 2.0L TFSI wanted more power heh.

Hm I got to about 160 in the end with the car with the standard modding:- cat back exhaust / air filter / remap ?

However I would get a decat on the exhaust / ask if revo can map out the error from the decat of course. The 1.4 TSI single charged turbo is cooled by water injection so fitting a inter-cooler won't do it much help well Forge did not bother with this option however I would consider a water meth for it perhaps see if that would help it cooling and also increase the octane for better performance. Other than that there's no other mods that I know you can add on the car Its pretty sweet once its all done but in the end I hit a wall and needed another car for more power.

Hope this helps :)

one thing to add when I was modding this car the more power it gained the more torque I was losing so it keep this in mind. Im sure you know what I mean :whistle:

audilover

First of all good luck with new car Dave it's my next step for now i have to make my car bit faster:)

I will ask them if they can ignore the cell light after decat but wouldn't that be kill my low revs?

I know what you mean by that this car has very limited engine and actually not worth spending money on it but wanna see what we can do on this car i know we can have both torque and hp cause has a small mouse size turbo loll

I was wondering if that ait intake help the car breath better or just make engine looked better:)

Still very helpfull topic for 1.4 tsi owners and again enjoy your new car

Have a blessed day :)

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
De-cat will defin give you more power and it will not effect your low revs :) you should gain a bit more on the top end !

I think its best to keep the normal Intake system and swap the panel for a K/N Panel instead (that should be a better choice). its cheaper/effective and a change with the sound too.

np!

rev1

Hello guys, first of all sorry for posting in this thread since dave.c has changed his car this might b awkward but none the less interesting for 1.4 TFSI CAX owners as i have some nice info to share about this little firebreather of an engine.

First of all, this engine may be equipped with a mouse size turbocharger, but its a Mitsubishi unit, so its performance oriented, spins at 220k+ rpm and can therefor be upgraded.

What i did was give the turbo to a tuning company which turned it into a hybrid unit, upgrading the cold side with larger compressor wheel, and they also threw in a ceramic coating on the hot side(exhaust turbine and exhaust manifold, yes they cannot be separated, the turbo/manifold).

All i can say the result blew off any of the expectations i had, the engine pulls literally like a madman.The car had a remap done by a german tuner before it had the turbo upgraded so it was kinda already chipped when i took it, but didn't had what it needed in term of correct mappings, and still performed like this without any limp mode or any problems whatsoever.Just to give you a idea, when i went to make logs with the chiptuner again, the car in the state i described as pullin like a madman was peaking 0.8 bar boost whereas with the stock turbo it peaked 1.1 and wasn't even close to the performance after the turbo upgrade.In essence the turbo is circulating much more airmass at lower boost pressures, and keep in mind it can now witstand 1.4 bar overboost and 0.65bar at redline; whereas the stock turbo was giving around 0.09 after 6000rpm, at the redline it was most like 0 boost pressure. Now for those wondering i haven't had a chance to dyno it yet, Monday next week i need to go and test a couple of custom maps and see what fits best so ill prolly let you know bout the end of next week about any numbers.

Aye, most interesting part, the turbo upgrade took way less then the price of a new oem replacement turbo on that can b found on ebay.

Engine wise, the car only has uprated diverter valve, the D model, and a K&N original box filter, no work done to the exhaust whatsoever nor to the intake, i predicting around 200hp ~ and a fair bit over 300 nm, as the clutch signals now ;P.

audilover

Hello guys, first of all sorry for posting in this thread since dave.c has changed his car this might b awkward but none the less interesting for 1.4 TFSI CAX owners as i have some nice info to share about this little firebreather of an engine.

First of all, this engine may be equipped with a mouse size turbocharger, but its a Mitsubishi unit, so its performance oriented, spins at 220k+ rpm and can therefor be upgraded.

What i did was give the turbo to a tuning company which turned it into a hybrid unit, upgrading the cold side with larger compressor wheel, and they also threw in a ceramic coating on the hot side(exhaust turbine and exhaust manifold, yes they cannot be separated, the turbo/manifold).

All i can say the result blew off any of the expectations i had, the engine pulls literally like a madman.The car had a remap done by a german tuner before it had the turbo upgraded so it was kinda already chipped when i took it, but didn't had what it needed in term of correct mappings, and still performed like this without any limp mode or any problems whatsoever.Just to give you a idea, when i went to make logs with the chiptuner again, the car in the state i described as pullin like a madman was peaking 0.8 bar boost whereas with the stock turbo it peaked 1.1 and wasn't even close to the performance after the turbo upgrade.In essence the turbo is circulating much more airmass at lower boost pressures, and keep in mind it can now witstand 1.4 bar overboost and 0.65bar at redline; whereas the stock turbo was giving around 0.09 after 6000rpm, at the redline it was most like 0 boost pressure. Now for those wondering i haven't had a chance to dyno it yet, Monday next week i need to go and test a couple of custom maps and see what fits best so ill prolly let you know bout the end of next week about any numbers.

Aye, most interesting part, the turbo upgrade took way less then the price of a new oem replacement turbo on that can b found on ebay.

Engine wise, the car only has uprated diverter valve, the D model, and a K&N original box filter, no work done to the exhaust whatsoever nor to the intake, i predicting around 200hp ~ and a fair bit over 300 nm, as the clutch signals now ;P.

Hey thanks for good info mate what about intercooler and iat?Let me send you my chipped mode with logs so if you can figured out how much more you are boosting compare to this log :)
Please type http
img52.imageshack.us/img52/2669/modlu.jpg

rev1

Hello, from what that log tells me, i am surely boosting less at the moment, but in exchange i am moving more air mass. I will get the logs after Monday's remap session and will post here for comparison.At the moment peak boost is set to .8 bar, have no clue what the ignition timings, afr and other stuff are set at.

I am running the absolute stock setup besides turbo and filter which are modded/aftermarket. Engine also has uprated OEM divert valve, the 710 "D" model. I bought 2 S3 smic's and i am planning on installing one before the water-cooler of course. This may take time tho as work to the exhaust/down pipe is much more needed at the moment in order to preserve the engine's exhaust valve train and turbo from excessive temperatures when running in full load at summer.

Please explain what do you mean by IAT.

audilover

Thanks for quick response mate Iat mean intake air temprature this is very important out stock inter cooler is not very efficent so you may want to upgrade that also as well.I am waiting for turbo and other mods picture will be gladly to see more please.

Also i am guessinf you are still driving with stock map but past post you were mentioning that boosting more ?Can you explain that little more please ?
Also this people in turbo company replaced your pall with which one ?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise