DC's 8v mk2 Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport *Back on the road!*

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Its been all about the MOT the last couple of weeks!

I am definitely moving my MOT to warmer months as this year the need for legal tyres forced me to fit my freshly rubbered (T1-R) summer wheels in ridiculously cold/snowy conditions:

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Despite best efforts - predictably it failed the MOT in the first instance!!

Not for tyres though! but OSF flexible brake hose bulging TBH quite dangerously by the look of it!!

All six hoses had perhaps seen better days so a week later the replacements where delivered along with some ATE Super Blue fluid to fit/replace in time for a re-test.

P1080232.jpg

P1080236.jpg

P1080233.jpg

P1080254.jpg

P1080253.jpg

P1080262.jpg

P1080267.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
First time I looked through this, very clean.... Got to take my hat off to you, amazing detail :)

Makes me want to drop my sub frame now lol.

Keep it up fella!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Lol I was bidding on this to! Had a mate that would want the engine so could have made some cash in it.

What's your plans with it?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Lol I was bidding on this to! Had a mate that would want the engine so could have made some cash in it.

What's your plans with it?

The idea was to break it for ALL useable parts for mine! TBH now I have it I am fighting the urge to restore it!! lol

The engine is the main motivation and a conversion to 16v may be on the cards - I'll be giving it a service and plan to get the timing belt done - possibly a professional check over. With just 55 miles on it in 14 years I am being cautious - not sure if any damage will have occurred?

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
What's the dash like on the rally car side? Wondering if there's a bank of fuses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
What's the dash like on the rally car side? Wondering if there's a bank of fuses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a panel (I believe carbon) that had a number of dummy switches but this was removed before I bought it along with the race seat and the carbon door mirror.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
I originally bought the above as a source for as new trim and mechanicals including the ABF engine which have all only covered only 55miles!!! since new - but due to its history, rarity and uniqueness I have been a bit distracted from that path.
Whilst I decide what to do I have begun cleaning/renovating some of the interior trim ready to transfer onto my 8v.

Despite the being unused the interior was filthy with a layer of damp mould from from a broken/open window letting the weather in.

Started with the steering wheel which is the rarer 16v model specific version with black leather/red stitching - even rarer is that this one really is as new!. The general opinion seems to be that this wheel isn't the best but I actually like it plus its OE and not flashy!
Once removed I carefully cleaned it - lightly wiping plastics/vinyl with APC and treating the leather to Raceglaze leather cleaner.

Before:
P1080269.jpg

After:
P1080341.jpg

P1080332.jpg

P1080306.jpg

P1080331.jpg

P1080328.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Hi all,

I've been busy with various aspects of the car so have some updates/progress to share.

Thought I'd start by showing some recent pics of the steering wheel from my last post fitted - excuse the not so great phone images!

I have the full set of Cupra mats but use old ones for the drivers side when in use.

I think it looks quite smart and I am happy to have an airbag again!

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Next project was to restore/clean the drivers seat from the half rally car.

When buying the rally car I was hopeful that the drivers seat - with only 55miles promo/display use! - might represent a significant find/rarity/opportunity as this style of interior goes!. The plan was that I could replace my current drivers seat which, whilst by far not the worst I've seen - was showing the usual and now very common (after 14 years) wear to the leather bolsters/stitching which would ultimately require repair. I did get a quote from SEAT for the now obsolete base cover ONLY and IIRC was about £200!

From the description and images the seller provided it was a bit of a gamble that it would offer any significant improvement on my current seat. The window mech had broken and the glass had dropped on the drivers door exposing the seat to the worst of the weather. After delivery I peeled back the plastic bin liners to find it was soaked and covered in mildew, mold, stains and dirt (see pics below).

Once I'd had a closer look and a test clean I felt much happier though and it was certainly clear there was absolutely no wear or damage - result!!!

Cleaning was next!

Here's some pics:

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/svenster_1975/media/Ibiza/IMG_2462.jpg.html]
IMG_2480.jpg
[/URL]

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/svenster_1975/media/Ibiza/IMG_2461.jpg.html]
IMG_2466.jpg
[/URL]

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Sorry there won't be much in the way of during photo's for this just afters.

I started of with a thorough vacuuming if the fabrics and a wipe down of the leather with a regularly rinsed MF - I do wish I had a pic of the water after!. I then separated the back from the base and cleaned all the leather with Raceglaze Leather Cleaner. Then using my new Numatic George I wet vacuumed the materials after soaking and pre treating with AG Upholstery cleaner.

Having sat in a pool of water for quite a while the metal tubular seat base/pan was quite corroded in places so I decided to use my original base frame and a new genuine foam base.

Sorry there won't be much in the way of during photo's for this just afters.

A problem presented itself when re-fitting the cover to the base - there is wire that passes around the bottom seem that is pulled tight to take up material slack and then secured by bending back on itself through holes either side of the metal frame underneath at the back.

Mine had rusted beyond use so I went on the search to find a substitute. I tried garden wire first but it was impossible to feed through the narrow seem! As a cyclist I then hit upon the idea to use stainless steel gear cable which was an exact match in diameter, had the length and threaded/fed easily through the seem (one end comes pre-soldered).

Below!
Rusty original wire
Non rusty original wire
Stainless bike gear cable

The wire was then fixed both sides with an allen bolt and pinching the cable utilising the original securing hole.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Once dry the centre material was treated with Gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric. The way this repels water is amazing and will hopefully provide extra durability.

Then the leather was cleaned again with Raceglaze Leather Cleaner and then lightly treated with Raceglaze Leather balm

Both back and base were then rejoined ready to fit in the car.

Here's the afters! sorry for how many there are but I'am so please with the result!

Copper Cupra

Dec 16, 2002
Exeter
Good to hear you've still got the MK2 - both the minted yellow one and the ex-show Rally car?
Not many old MK2 fans left on here!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise