DC's 8v mk2 Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport *Back on the road!*

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Wow, is all I have to say! :) Fairplay to you! Really wish the guy who did my rear arches didn't spray them all in black stonechip now! :(. It was there already! So it was pointless, and they were nearly as clean as yours!

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Hi all,

I hope all the photo's aren't to boring!? - I know I like to see other peoples.

Well heres an update regarding the front suspension struts.

Started of by ensuring the arches and hard to get at areas around the strut towers were clean and free of tar using same formula as the rear.

P1060816.jpg

P1060826.jpg

P1060834.jpg

The struts were built up and ready to fit using NEW genuine VW top mounts, bearings, top plates and brackets. The top plates had the usual extra 2 coats of Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Paint. Hidden areas were given a spray coat of clear Waxoyl or Werth Cavity Wax.

P1060843.jpg

P1060839.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Fitted with new bolts/nuts:

P1060892.jpg

Really need to paint the end plate on the gearbox!
P1060884.jpg

P1060891.jpg

P1060870.jpg

It was clear by how level the wishbone now was that it would be a lot lower!

Unfortunately I'll have to live with the corroded hubs for a while longer and theres still plenty of parts that would benefit from a bit of restoration.

I am planning on buying some HEL braided brake lines, so corroded brake clips will be replaced when that happens.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Wheels back on and the car supporting its own weight once again so I could torque up the beam pivot and lower shock bolts - made more difficult due to reduced leverage from lowering.
Also checked the exhaust and it clears the top of the beam easily. I was quite pleased I can still use my ramps without scraping anything! - not tried them on the front yet though!

P1070069.jpg

P1070074.jpg

P1070078.jpg

P1070065.jpg

Front of beam coated in clear Waxoyl (see finger prints) which Isn't best for appearance but I need to preserve it.
P1070083.jpg

Nest year I may begin an overhaul/detail of the underneath - things like the fuel tank strap and other brackets and hangers and address an bubbles of rust I can find. Most of the brown/orange looking colouring on the bodywork in these photo's is actually Wax.
I've ordered new screws and attachments for the sideskirts so I can re-mount them for a start. A stainless steel exhaust would be nice:D

Last edited:

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
If you're at inters next year, may I com along side you?! :p We need to compare! :). Obviously, I won't have all my major components underneath restored, but everything up top should be in pristine condition! Can't wait to see this! :)

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Finally after almost two months on axle stands the cars back on the road. The rear rear height required re-adjustment (raising) but looks wise I'am quite happy with it over standard/original. The first drive was to TTS Roadsport in Bedford for another Hunter laser alignment and camber adjustment and it certainly felt firmer.

There are a few noises that I'll investigate shortly after giving it a few miles first.

Here's some picks unfortunately taken in fading light on the way back from TTS. Only had time for two bucket wash and dry so not its shiniest - the last proper machine polish and application of Auto Glym Hi Def Wax seems to be lasting well though! I did do a thorough job on the alloys with a couple of layers of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant.

P1070096-1.jpg

P1070091.jpg

P1070087-1.jpg

P1070098.jpg

P1070107.jpg

Somehow I've managed to kerb on of the front alloys!!! - I have a NOS alloy to replace this.
P1070101.jpg

P1070110.jpg

Last edited:

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
looks like you got that drive centre console to fit well! i couldnt get it to sit right in my car. mighty fine job as always and a cupra gearknob will finish it off nicely!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.