driving... BANG!!! black smoke - PICS Added

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
hmm

so after passing a diagnostic check and hitting requested to actual i drive to lake side today...

on way home driving slow i decide to push it a little... sssshhhhhHHHHHHH........BANG!!!!!! black smoke....

i can hear the turbo spoil up now and then stutter. so i am guessing a pipe has come clean off somewhere

Air intake temp dropped from 33 to 21.

cant see it under the bonnet so i guess its the pancake pipe area that hidden.

i had to drive 20 miles no boost as i didnt want to suck stuff in to engine

why didnt it go in to limp mode.... no faults showing on scanguage either.

:(

gremlins are setting in. but first problem in 3 years and 71k miles

Lee

Last edited:

zoheb

I had the same problem and had it fixed at a local garage. I dont know anything about cars but if am correct i was told that the pipe that connects the turbo and the intercooler came off. not usre if that is what he told me or if that is how the pipes are connected but thats all i can remember

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
here is where i found the pipe

IMG_0067.jpg

heres the damage

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

first question... has ane one ever seen a blown pipe like this before. i was expecting a pipe just laying there not a hole in one.

what is the part number of this pipe? and rough price?

do i need to remove all pipes and flush them out. looks like oil is in there too

Lee

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
ETKA.jpg

looks like pipe 4 to me... old etka so part number might of changed

pipes 5 and 6 seem very loose. so maybe there a loose bit between there and what ever that connects to to :(

back to castle gate tomorrow

Lee

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
My pipe popped off a few months ago. The clip holding it on became worn. I've never seen damage like that on the pipe. Was it rubbing the alternator/belt after it popped off?

Can't remember the part number, but it should be printed on the hose itself.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Have you thought about replacing all the boost pipes with upgraded parts? Seeing as you have a re-mapped Cupra it may make sense in the long run to eliminate all the crappy VAG connections. Have a word with Tom. as he's just had his boost pipes upgraded

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
The pipe didn't come off all connections were tight. So it liteally popped on the car. I might be selling it soon as I want a golf r32 mk5

time will tell

still worried as to what can make it go bang

Lee

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Boost pipes splitting isn't unheard of.

My mates blew the 90deg bend coming off the turbo. Hole was big enough to fit a couple of fingers in.

Over time the material will deteriorate, you will hit peak boost, and bang. The pipe splits.

Simple answer to this issue is uprate with hard pipes (metal) and use as little silicone as possible throughout the setup.

Just had a set of spitfire performance pipes fitted to mine, which use very little silicone, so not much to go wrong.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
CRAP!!! Seat dont have replacement part for 10 days.

any one on here know of where else to get parts. i tried Seat Castlegate Norwich.

ill order it from anywhere

Thanks

lee

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
Tried Everywhere

if i have to wait 10 days what can i do to get my car back on road tempo? will ducktape work

other than that i am thinking 45degree silicon pipe would that work?

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
or try sfs pipework they are worth a try. forge should do one as they do the kit for most IC's

failing that some temp resistant tape? 100MPH tape? something strong. or tape it up and unplug the MAF it will stop the car from boosting.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise