Engine lumpy and cutting out at tickover.

Steve221

Workshy Fop.
May 30, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
My cupra has been running quite sweetly lately, been for a few long drives down south and it has been superb as ever. That was until Tuesday, I drove towards work and stopped to fill up at the usual Shell garage (Car was fine on the 10 miles from home), put 42 quids worth of optimax in and set off. Got to the first roundabout/junction and at tickover the revs are constantly dropping and rising just before it stalls.

It continued to do this at every stop, the revs drop and shake the car around with the odd clunking noise, it will sometimes cut out if the air-con is running. If I touch the throttle, the engine seems to rev sweetly enough and the performance while on the move has not suffered at all.

I'm beginning to think I may have got a dodgy batch of optimax, I topped it up with normal unleaded last night from a different garage, I got 13 quid in but hasn't made a difference.

Any ideas?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
could be the optimax, my car used to run like that on supermarket petrol.
empty the tank and refill and see if problem still occurs.
Have a search in these forums cos there is loads of threads on similar/identical problems. Might give u some things to try, check all pipework and dv connections, along with the n75 valve, possibly do a tb realignment or get tb cleaned.

flashbsd

ive had it in the past, dodgy batch of fuel! bet you got the bottom of their tanks!

one thing you should try, is just simply unplugging the MAF sensor attached to the air box, and see if it solves it, mine ran very lumpy and i pin pointed it to be the MAF.

p.s you didn't put optimax diesil in did ya? :redface:

-DT-

I want my SuperLeggeras!!
Aug 3, 2004
Bristol
Steve221 said:
My cupra has been running quite sweetly lately, been for a few long drives down south and it has been superb as ever. That was until Tuesday, I drove towards work and stopped to fill up at the usual Shell garage (Car was fine on the 10 miles from home), put 42 quids worth of optimax in and set off. Got to the first roundabout/junction and at tickover the revs are constantly dropping and rising just before it stalls.

It continued to do this at every stop, the revs drop and shake the car around with the odd clunking noise, it will sometimes cut out if the air-con is running. If I touch the throttle, the engine seems to rev sweetly enough and the performance while on the move has not suffered at all.

I'm beginning to think I may have got a dodgy batch of optimax, I topped it up with normal unleaded last night from a different garage, I got 13 quid in but hasn't made a difference.

Any ideas?
Could be the throttle body needs cleaning? At least that's what it was with mine.... £50 to get it done at Seat...

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
surely less than 1 hrs work? - well when they did mine it was done in 1/2hr, local garage @ £30/hr so closer to £15?
Anyway, i know dealers are a rip off - hence my comment.

soper1981

Feb 26, 2005
Sorry to dig this back up again but I've had this exact same problem with my LC, especialy when I leave work and the car is on idle. But how did you get on and is the problem sorted now?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i've read that the cleaning of the TB does the trick. I have changed/checked everything else, including changing spark plugs. Its better, but not perfect. Apparantly spraying the tb with some cleaner can do the trick, but don't hold me to this...

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
take the throttle body off yaself an clean it with FORTÉ AIR INTAKE CLEANER

Air_intake.jpg

takes all of 10/15 mins and costs no more than a £10 have heard of people spraying em with it still fitted

according to this months top tips :) its useful on idle and EGR valves too

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Flapper, how do you spray it with it still on the car? I assume you just remove the intercooler hose and have a spray that way, then connect all back up and switch the engine on?

If you take it off, are there specific torque settings and do you have to change the gasket?

cupra-c_ya

I love da boost!
Oct 4, 2004
devon
img124.imageshack.us
I am thinking of doing this on my car, does anyone have a detailed guide on the cleaning of the TB on the car or off the car, looked through loads of threads and cant find a proper guide, anyone got a guide with pics of the TB location on the leon etc? thanks

added on to this thread rather then start another thread.