EPC and Engine light :( Hope its not bad news

jimmybonsaville

Hi guys hoping you can help me out here. I bought a 2002 Ibiza chill with 18,000 mioles on the other day. Lovely car being my first car and all. However after all the excitement of the putchase and then getting the car home ive noticed a few things i didnt spot on the sale DOH

The first thing i noticed is the service notice on the milometer and then when i first turn the ignition on the EPC light and a engine light come one. As soon as i start the engine they both dissapear. Ive done a search but im under the impression that if its a fault they will stay on? Can anyone help please because ive yet to find a Seat dealer in Newcastle. Cheers

bgasmatt

Feb 3, 2008
dont worry bout it m8 they all do it. and as for the service light if its had a service recently do a search on here there is a way to re set it yourself or if its in need of a service get it done then re set it m8:D

jimmybonsaville

dont worry bout it m8 they all do it. and as for the service light if its had a service recently do a search on here there is a way to re set it yourself or if its in need of a service get it done then re set it m8:D

Well ya see mate thats the problem. I bought the car as finance reclaimed write off so it came with no service history and just 1 key and thats it. However it was a bargain at 2300 for a car with 18k i thought. The guy i got it from is a ebuyer with amazing feedback so is trustworthy. The service history could turn up in 4 weeks he told me. Then he said Seat should be able to provide service history with the reg no if its been serviced by them?

Generally if it's been done by a Dealership then the service light would have been reset by them -- But it's not always the case, as my Girlfriends VW Beetle came out of a £300 service without the indicator being reset!! But anyway, if you're happy it's been serviced or you're going to service it yourself:

• Key in ignition, ignition OFF
  • Press and hold trip reset button
  • Turn ON ignition
  • Release trip reset button
  • Turn button clockwise until it goes out
  • Igniton OFF
  • Igniton ON

As for your other concern, the EML comes on when you turn the engine on but goes off after a couple of seconds

merlin051

Oil Burner!
Aug 22, 2006
North East, Darlington
You might not even need to reset it. the service light comes on with all the other lights when you start the ignition.

It stays on if its due, and will not go until you remove it.

jimmybonsaville

You might not even need to reset it. the service light comes on with all the other lights when you start the ignition.

It stays on if its due, and will not go until you remove it.

I see you have the same motor as me mate. So when you turn on the electrics they sequence i get is all dash lights on then the word service on the speedo then the EPC and Engine icon stay lit. But as soon as i start the engine all lights dissapear including the service word.

Im on 18,000 miles so im wondering if its just letting me know im approaching the service interval? I REALLY wish i could get hold of a handbook or even a scan because it just gives you ease of mind in these situations lol. Anyone know where there is a download??

btw cheers for helping out guys

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Peace of mind is just getting it serviced anyway, that way you know it's been done. First thing I did when I got the Cupra was an oil change the very next day.

jimmybonsaville

Peace of mind is just getting it serviced anyway, that way you know it's been done. First thing I did when I got the Cupra was an oil change the very next day.

Yup mate totally agree! Im from a motorbike background and i know there are some real cowboys about so im on the look out for a good garage to service the car. What i dont want tho is to damage the engine using it in between. The oil looks very clean and the car runs well as far as im aware. Maybe im just being over cautiuos but on a bike a bad engine can mean spitting you off at silly speeds n death injury lol