fao anyone who has cut the flap of the air intake

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
i see what rash cupra has done, there is a flap which blocks half the entrance of the intake.

just waiting for seat to get back to me on how much this part is.

i feel the need to open it up, but in case something goes wrong i need to be able to replace it :p

has anyone with a 100bhp tdi chopped this bit off? or anyone offer info about the MAF error?

intake.jpg

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
it seems pretty easy to know where to cut it, basically on the sloped bit that's slanting down? (yeah my pic was up side down!) just wondered about getting problems if i open the gap up.

vw have just told me this part is £5 inc vat and p&p, so i might just chop away!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
just karv it off :thumbup: modifying the intake wont mess your engine up modifying the maf housing ect is when you will hit problems

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
dis maf housing....whats maf stand for? something air filter?

maf is the box the pd160 goes into, rite?....

lol can i get a guarantee from u about that ;)

kris_tdi

Mar 26, 2007
i took the flap off mine, it wont make any difference what so ever to the MAF as for:

1. its nowhere near it anyway.

2. its a bit of plastic, its only like chopping a hole in the grill.

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
more air generally=good ?

also if i do all this stuff is it going to make my fuel consumption go up or down

so I'm expecting a slight increase in performance as well

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
fair nuff...im still slightly gutted that going from 195 to 215 tyres, my av fuel cons. has gone frmo 45 to 41 (so far on a continuing average).

didn't figure that into the purchase.... :p

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
I've gone completely different to everyone else got an adaptor that covers the intake at the front of the car, that that as a 76mm diameter connector that conects to my air feed pipe the to a 45 degree silicone tube that conects to my dynatwist.

If this helps?

Image005.jpg

Obviously this is if you go for a dynatwist.

Last edited:

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
i've chopped half an inch off the flap, to see what happens :p

rash did you seal up the horizontal 1/2 inch strip of open air at the bottom of the intake pipe adaptor?

is this supposed to feed a small jet of cold air to the rest of the engine or something?

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Well I fitted my Cupra air intake yesterday. Straightforward enough once it's manoeuvred (horrible word to spell! :yes:) in place, and had the same problem as some others in that there is a small water hose resting on the intake pipe. Manage to tie this out of the way (without actually rerouting it), but it still rubs so it out with the grease. Don't do a big mileage anyway so will keep an eye on things.

While I was fitting it also decided to remove the flap completely. Out with the junior hacksaw, Stanley knife and file. As long as you're careful and patient it's easily done. Doubt I will bother with a strut brace because this will probably mean more cleaning of the air filter (no flap might let the odd sparrow through now!:lol:).

Already have Green panel filter so it's all ready for a remap. Watch this space!:p

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
Hi All,

I cut the flap right out and sealed the gap and havent had any probs in 3 months,

Yella Bezza, strut brace is worth it mate does help especially if your on standard suspension and it only take 1 min or less to take it off lol also makes the engine bay look nicer :p

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.