fao anyone who has cut the flap of the air intake

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Which gap did you seal? Guess if I do a search will probably find it

Prefer the Forge strut brace in silver (costs more, but it's alloy and adjustable). Don't think the Seat sport one would look right in red. Could always get in sprayed yellow though. I'll see how I get on with the intake first.

Is your clutch managing to cope following the remap? Must be pretty much on the limit for slip

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
alo mate ^ i sealed my intake gap off by plastic welding an old wheelsheild over the slot then windscreen sealer to seal it completly off no loss of air and 3 times as much air going in :)

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Thanks for that. Is this behind the grille to deflect all the air into the intake?

I did notice that the position of the mouth is not ideal the way it is.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
its so hard to exsplan where it is on the computer :doh:

the slot you need to seal off is where the intake pipe clips into the front pannel what it clicks into is a larger square than the pipe so when air enters the inlet some escapes through this slot!!!!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The idea of the slot is to provide an alternative air path should the intake get submersed/splashed with a fair amount of water.

Think of its like a vacuum cleaner with a hole in the pipe, it wont suck up a lot as it doesnt have a seal.

Cutting it out is fine (as I did years ago on the Fabia) just dont go driving through any floods, which is a good idea anyhow.

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Has anyone actually had their car on a rolling road to check the standard 130 TDi, then add Green panel filter and Cupra intake with the flap removed from end where it meets the front panel?

I went out to try in this evening for the first time since fitting the Cupra intake after removing the flap (already had the Green filter). Not sure, but it would seem to me the increase in performance was more noticable when I first fitted the panel filter, than when I added the Cupra intake. Perhaps I need to get it remapped first to get the full benefits.

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
richie how the bugger does a pd160 tube feed into a k&n?

the k&n im thinking of looks a bit like a lamp shade the wrong way round...is the k&n just the brand, and the filter itself is like the air box?

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
take a look at item number 290128487130 on ebay.. thats the one im getting very shortly.. hopefully! the k&n will sit in the original box and the air intakes join upto that box and let more air through... when i do it ill do step by step if u want? sorry my sig pic is a bit early but was gettin fed up of my old one lol

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
I can help here as I fitted the Cupra intake at the weekend.

Basically there are two screws on the RHS of the top of the airbox. Unscrew these and lift the top off the airbox (it locates in a couple of holes on the other side). Take out the paper filter and replace it with the K&N one. The ebay item is the same as the Green cotton one (really the only difference between the two is the K&N has red oil as opposed to Green, and slightly more expensive usually).

The Cupra air intake fits near the bottom of the airbox and is held in place by one screw. It usually has a dab of white paint on it. Remove with a Phillips screwdriver. Then you need to remove the other end. The Cupra intake fits onto the side of the airbox, and the filter actually in the box. The intake doesn't fit in the filter inself.

If you do a search there are step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

Phil_beeza are you talking about an induction kit here??

Last edited:

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Green is really only the European name for the K&N, which is American. Both are the same really - oiled cotton between two layers of mesh in a zigzag design. If I remember correctly, Jetex also do one in blue - same principle.

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
Think some people are confusing other people....

Ok.. on a standard air box there is a "panel" filter, this can be made be green or k&N example http://www.green-filter.co.uk/index.php?cPath=812_1081_1560.

Then there are two types of induction kits "open" and "closed".

The upside down lamp shade or cone filters by K&N or Green is an open induction and will suck air in from the engine bay, which will be warm. You wont need a "Cupra" intake for these.

Then there is a closed system which is basically the same as the open but the filter has a heat sheild around it. Then there is a piece of ducting that attaches to the end of the heat shield and then connects to the "Cupra" intake. This suck cold air in from the outside.

Engine.jpg

Last edited:

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
it seems pretty easy to know where to cut it, basically on the sloped bit that's slanting down? (yeah my pic was up side down!) just wondered about getting problems if i open the gap up.

vw have just told me this part is £5 inc vat and p&p, so i might just chop away!

£5??? is that the standard one or the cupra one? seems cheaper than going to seat??

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Both - or the Cupra and FR one are the same anyway (assume also the 100TDi) . The intake fits into the mouth, which attaches to the front panel. This can be removed and the flap cut away to make it bigger and draw in more air.

As far as I'm aware there's only one bit which attaches to the front panel with two Torx screws. This is what costs £5.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.