Got my car back (Big Turbo)

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
so how come yours produces so much black smoke mate surely something cant be right somewhere or is it just cos its hi powered, as you can tell im new to the vag scene

Hi mate as i understand it the problem would be that when the air intake temps get past a certain temp there isn't enough oxygen in the air to burn all the diesel in the engine and then the unburnt diesel come out the back in the form of black smoke so the name of the game is to keep the air intake down as low as possible so that there is enough oxygen in the air to burn all the diesel. Well thats how i understand it maybe devonmikeyboy could confirm that?? i might have got it totally wrong!!

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
hmmm well actually i can pull away quite a bit from him, the thing is mate bhp isn't directly linked to acceleration torque is

Well it's both to be fair.. Plus it's how the torque is delivered through the revs too.. I can imagine 350lb/ft will shift like a barsteward mate, but if it all comes in at once and tails off, like most diesels do, it's doesn't always mean it'll be quicker than a petrol car with less torque but same bhp...
We shall see how the old soot chucker performs on the day mate, looking forward to seeing it to be fair.. At the end of the day, the figures will tell all (time and terminal speed)... But if it is as quick as you say it is. It should be running mid 13's..

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
what so you think the more cold air going in the less smoke?

yea from what i understand mate, obviously the car is being overfueled but its trying to get as much cold air into that engine one of the things me and jabba were discussing yestedray is how small the forge fmic is, i have a scangauge and it shows air intake temps and after driving mine for about 20 mins the temp is nearly 50 and i was caning it around yesterday on the way back from picking this gauge up after about 20mins looked at it was at seventy something now i'm sure on forges website it says the temp will say below about 30 or 40 can't remember, but at that point i have lost most of my power as there isn't enough oxygen in the air coming in so its not burning the diesel properly whichj means things 1 the performance is not what it should be and 2 there is diesel coming out he back like mad because it isn't being burnt! thing is the air intakes on seat ibiza's are really goof anyway so there is not need to change them, but now i am looking into other ways to cool down this beast so its running at its best all or atleast most of the time!!

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
It was explained to me by the chap at allards the best way to look at it is bhp is the work the engine can do and torque is how quickly the engine can do this work, so the way i look at it yes he has 30bhp more than me but i can deliver that 230bhp alot quicker due to the torque, well thats what i think anyway may be completly wrong hahaha!! going to be a laugh trying to get the power down plus steve has damper ajustable suspension which can help off the lights!! i'm thinking about raising my coilovers at the back on the day to shuv all the weight to the front of the car!! dunno if that would work?

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
so how can you solve it or is it just one of them things

there is a few ways to solve the problem basicly you have to try and think of ways to make sure your intake temps stay as low as pos, somepeople go for water injection into the engine which obviously is an effective way of cooling the air down just before it goes into the engine rather than cooling it at intercooler stage, other idea's are bigger fmic or ummm strapping icepacks to all the boost pipes hahaha!!!

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
so how come yours produces so much black smoke mate surely something cant be right somewhere or is it just cos its hi powered, as you can tell im new to the vag scene
Jabba love high torque figures as high figures on diesels as they sale maps etc. High torque figures can easily be gained by over fueling low down in the rev range so you get a big torque spike but this is at the cost of a very smokey car. 99% of people only look at figures not at graphs or how the car is mapped. Sooty took his car to Allards which has the same bhp but less torque but Sooty`s car smokes a lot less and is a lot happier with his car. A very smokey diesel or petrol car is a badly mapped car period.

Hi mate as i understand it the problem would be that when the air intake temps get past a certain temp there isn't enough oxygen in the air to burn all the diesel in the engine and then the unburnt diesel come out the back in the form of black smoke so the name of the game is to keep the air intake down as low as possible so that there is enough oxygen in the air to burn all the diesel. Well thats how i understand it maybe devonmikeyboy could confirm that?? i might have got it totally wrong!!
Basically right...

so how can you solve it or is it just one of them things
Get the bloody car mapped properly so the air fuel ratio is right ! If the car is mapped live on a dyno they should be able to map the car properly for the upgrades on the car even if you have a restrictive FMIC. If the the only problem is the FMIC then tell Jabba that you will buy the larger Allard FMIC or a Seat PD160 FMIC and get your car remapped. If the new map isn`t smokey but still 228 bhp and 351 lb you will pay for everything if the map is still smoking badly you pay nothing. I bet you still have a smokey car.

yea from what i understand mate, obviously the car is being overfueled but its trying to get as much cold air into that engine one of the things me and jabba were discussing yestedray is how small the forge fmic is, i have a scangauge and it shows air intake temps and after driving mine for about 20 mins the temp is nearly 50 and i was caning it around yesterday on the way back from picking this gauge up after about 20mins looked at it was at seventy something now i'm sure on forges website it says the temp will say below about 30 or 40 can't remember, but at that point i have lost most of my power as there isn't enough oxygen in the air coming in so its not burning the diesel properly whichj means things 1 the performance is not what it should be and 2 there is diesel coming out he back like mad because it isn't being burnt! thing is the air intakes on seat ibiza's are really goof anyway so there is not need to change them, but now i am looking into other ways to cool down this beast so its running at its best all or atleast most of the time!!
There is something seriously wrong if your intake temps are at 50C and 70 C is dangerous !
there is a few ways to solve the problem basicly you have to try and think of ways to make sure your intake temps stay as low as pos, somepeople go for water injection into the engine which obviously is an effective way of cooling the air down just before it goes into the engine rather than cooling it at intercooler stage, other idea's are bigger fmic or ummm strapping icepacks to all the boost pipes hahaha!!!

Water injection stops pre detonation and lowers your EGT temps nothing to do with lowering your air inlet temps.

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
Thanks devonmikey cleared up a few things for me there and i'm glad all this reasearch is paying off as i got a few things right ;) only thing i would say is we don't know for sure sooty is running the same as me, and allards actually quote a lower figure than jabba, i am going to try water spray onto the intercooler for a while along with the propane and see how that works as i think this should help bring the intake temps donw a bit and even if i do decide to getrid of the forge fmic i can always fit the water spray onto the new one!!

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Have you put any thought into water spray as in fitting,running,controlling it,what happens to all the water after it has sprayed onto you FMIC worked it`s way around the pipes etc onto your engine and electrics and the general cost? Cheaper and a lot more efficent to get a decent FMIC fitted.

scooby slayer

Aug 24, 2005
wakefield
so it seems around 230-260 is about the most you can take these are allards a good tuning company or if anyone can tell me best ways and most effective ways to tune these fr 130pd engines

so far im thinking pd160 intake
green panel filter
decat
miltek cat back
also where do you guys get the longer wheel bolts if you order fk spacers or is there any thats cheaper?????
also keep your eyes out for cupra wheels

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
Hi mate,

The cost fo the full kit is 150quid all i have to do is fill it up with water every so ofter and i would think when it hits the fmic it will prob evaporate, with regards to electronics the bar you buy connects onto the fmic and would spray it directly onto the fmic so wound't go onto any electronics, it comes with a contoller that links to the fmic and when it gets over a certain temp is sprays water!! i thought it sounded like a good plan!!

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
yea i'm sure it is, i'm ordering the kit tonight hopefully will be here to fit on my day off next wednesday!! i'm desperatly ttrying to get 2 days in a row off so i can book in for propane but have a feeling with other staff off its going to be a pain in the backside lol

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
its just an additional fuel which burns better than diesel, the way it was explained to me and i'm not expert is that propane increases combustion in the engine making it a cleaner smoother and better [performing engine but to be honest one of the others that hasd propane is prob best to answer that question haha!!

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
well i bought the allards egr replacement as i said i would payed for it last monday, called them tuesday just gone and said hey its been a week i know we had bank holiday but come on.... they said oh yes we have a job sheet we will try and send it out tomorrow at wich point i was like wtf??!!?! anyway arrived today opened the pakage and all there is is the pipe no blanking plate so i'm like for god sake but as my pipe is broken i had no option other than to fit it sooooo got to my bro's workshop took off the old pipe cut the metal connecter off plugged that onto the new egr pipe then went to put it back on and guess what it doesn't bloody fit!!!!!to me it looks like they have put the flange bit on the end on the wrong way round so the holes just don't line up we have tried and tried to find away but they are so far out its not even close!!! if the flange at the end was the otherway round it would fit so now i'm thinking has this one been made incorrectly or is my car different, does anyone know if one of these has been fitted to an 07' ibiza?? so now i'm driving around with only the 2 top bolts screwed in as i can't put the old one back on because its buggered!!! nedless to say i'm a little peed off!!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members