GUIDE: Mk2 Leon Brakes - Info, Upgrades, and Maintanance.

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Cupra jobs fitted, nice!

Got my Cupra setup fitted now, well pleased. A couple of snaps to show the goodness.

Thanks to all who helped with info on this setup and Dave Sere for the excellent service, well done sir. Fitted at VWAUDI repair centre Glasgow, great work, great garage. Thanks for the heads up Alex.

PS: ill hopefully be sorting out the FR brakes that came off for re-sale shortly, any interested parties keep an eye on the sales section. They are in the ideal position to paint to your fav coulour before fitting, nice!

DSC01606.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01602.jpg

DSC01604.jpg

D

Last edited by a moderator:

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Does ABS/ESP have to be reprogrammed after brakes upgrade? In case of FR->Cupra change or in any other case.
You may have to if you have hill start fitted I beleive, later versions are having to reset the pad wear counter [ vag com]as on the Passat and Golf 6 - so much for ALL this new techno - its a curse. ..................................

Last edited:

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
You may have to if you have hill start fitted I beleive, similar the later versions are having to reset the pad ware counter [ vag com]as on the Passat and Golf 6 - so much for ALL this new techno - its a curse. ..................................

interesting point. Dan, you reckon nothing needs done VAG Com wise? Had a look in th erelevant module and TBH not sure what code means what? Ive not had any ABS kicking in early issues as yet but not really put on the anchors in anger yet with the bigger brakes either???

D

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I'm after some help, hopefully somebody will understand what i'm on about and know the answer

I have an 05 plate PD140 Altea and i want to upgrade the brakes to 312mm as i've had enough of the 288's struggling to stop it when full.

From what i can tell using this thread and ETKA, i have the FN3 Callipers fitted on my car so it should be as simple as getting the carriers from a PD170 Leon/Altea and the bigger discs

Can somebody post a pic of the FN3 Calliper so i can compare it to mine?

The other thing is, i've found what i believe to be the Seat PN for the 312mm brake carriers 1K0 615 125 C. Can anyone confirm that this is right and will fit before i get onto Dave at Sere

Cheers

jwarnette

Hi everyone

Just want to say what an awesome posting and the follow up posts have been really educational. I rang up my local SEAT dealer, Spur Garage in Hampton Court to see if I could get them to fit a Brembo Cupra brake upgrade and they said it was no longer an option. I have a 55 plate Leon 2.0 tdi and I find this hard to believe. Can anyone suggest somewhere in London / Surrey that might be able to do this?

Very grateful!

jwarnette

Oh okay. Do you know of any good SEAT garages in the south? I'd be a bit concerned about doing the brake change myself, so just want to take it somewhere familiar with Leons and get them to do it.

Jun 1, 2009
west lothian
Just going to take this tutorial a step further today and replace brake discs,pads and backplates and rear wheel bearings, will update with photos later.

Jun 1, 2009
west lothian
Job completed on Leon Mk2 140 TDI,a few words of advice on the rears the caliper carrier does not have to be removed as the discs can slide out quite easily,the back plate is then modified so the rear hub does not need to be removed to replace backplates either,i replaced 1 wheel bearing only tool required is a 18mm multi spline socket,what is with Seat :confused: all other procedures as Dan GB states.
Fronts are simplicity its self,discs removed by loosening 1 x T30 torx screw,watch your hands on the ragged corroded edges of the old backplates,i painted and lacquered my new back plates to try and give an extra bit protection from rust.Also replace both front suspension links while i was at it,end result a very quite running car with sh*t hot brakes.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Hi all! i am looking at fitting a set of rear calipers/discks and hubs off a 2009 Audi S3,can anyone tell me if they will fit my 2005 altea tdi 140 please? (I know this is the Leon section,but no-one seems to mod Alteas :blink:) will the handbrake cable fit these?
I have 18" wheels and also have the Golf R32 345mm set up on the front!
Thanks for any help.Paul :)

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Hi Paul hope the front brakes are still going well . . . ..

A guy on the Mk5 forum has tried to fit the s3 rear hubs and failed, it appears they dont fit.

The S3 rear brakes should be a direct fit tho. I put some s3's on the back of a leon mk2 and they fit no problem. The rear dust shield just needs a hole elongating by 10mm and the rear hoses are the same also.

Basically just bin/sell the rear hubs and the s3 discs and callipers should be a direct fit ;)

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Hi Paul hope the front brakes are still going well . . . ..

A guy on the Mk5 forum has tried to fit the s3 rear hubs and failed, it appears they dont fit.

The S3 rear brakes should be a direct fit tho. I put some s3's on the back of a leon mk2 and they fit no problem. The rear dust shield just needs a hole elongating by 10mm and the rear hoses are the same also.

Basically just bin/sell the rear hubs and the s3 discs and callipers should be a direct fit ;)

Hi Jon,sorry for the late reply,i missed this :blink:
Yes the front brakes are awesome thanks,loving the stopping power!
Well i've chickened out of S3 rears,worried the car would swap ends lol
I've now gone for the 286mm fr rears! hope these fit,anyone have a guide per chance?
Cheers.Paul :)

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Any fitting guides or tips on swapping from the 255mm to 286mm rear set up? or is it pretty straightforward?
Thanks for any help.Paul :)

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Can someone confirm the length of spline bit required for the rears? Will a short one do or do I need to obtain longer ones (i.e. do you have to fit the driver between anything really tight?

Update: Can confirm a short spline bit will do but you do not need to remove the rear caliper carrier on the MK2 Leon Sport to remove the disks - despite what some online guide say!

I'd also say that you are unlikely to get said rear caliper carriers off without a long breaker bar and a car lift/pit, if I'm honest, there is simply not the clearance on axle stands alone.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.