Had to scrape the ice off the inside of the windscreen this morning.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I went outside to clear the car ready for the morning drive today, and after de-iceing the front and rear screens found that there was a fair amount of ice on the inside of the windscreen.

I've always tried to forget about the windows being wetter on the inside (due to me fitting after market speakers apparently) but this was a joke.
After removing some of the ice I then had to wait more than 5 minutes for the air-con to remove the condensation.

Is there any genuine fix to this or should I throw the de-icer away and just leave it running for 10 minutes every morning to clear the screens?

Poverty

de-icer is crap mate, get a ice scraper and put in some manual work.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
de-icer is crap mate, get a ice scraper and put in some manual work.

The Auto Glyn/m de-icer is good!
I've been working 9am this morning, I finish in 1 hour! I'm not scraping my interior! :p

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
I went outside to clear the car ready for the morning drive today, and after de-iceing the front and rear screens found that there was a fair amount of ice on the inside of the windscreen.

I've always tried to forget about the windows being wetter on the inside (due to me fitting after market speakers apparently) but this was a joke.
After removing some of the ice I then had to wait more than 5 minutes for the air-con to remove the condensation.

Is there any genuine fix to this or should I throw the de-icer away and just leave it running for 10 minutes every morning to clear the screens?

If it is the after market speakers that are the problem, then I'd guess that this will be down to the speakers not being sealed properly and letting moisture into the car - the fix will be to get them sealed properly and get the car dried out.

Incidentally - your A/C won't work below around 5 degrees Celsius - it gets locked out to prevent potential damage to the compressor from freezing

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm glad then I'm not the only one fuming every morning when car is all misted up inside and have to wait ages for windscreen to be usable...

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
A slightly off topic but related question.

Should the RECIRC switch button illuminate when pressed?

i.e as the Heated Rear Screen and Demist switch buttons do when pressed

Mine does not

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
can't remember from top of my head, will check in the evening. But is it not disabled when you have windscreen button illuminated and air blowing to windscreen?

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK

Yes it is, but do you have the demist button "0n" and the recirc "off" this should be the way ahead, the sensors seem to take 1> minutes to sense air temp before going full blast - appears to be on ALL cars?!?. Least its better than the Grand punto we have. ............. If you have the "recirc" button ON it will NOT help clear the rear screen - it relies on internal air flow which you will not get with recirc.!!

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Yesterday morning the window was clear and as soon as I set off it was all misted up. This is very dangerous and I wasn't too impressed.

Even my old Ford Fungus had a quick-clear screen which was great. Apparently they had the patent on this and other manufacturers cannot put them in. They would sell a hell of a lot more as this is a safety issue.

Wallie

Pump Diesel
we have to bite the bullet and wait till the screen is clear :(

someone said the other day on a similar thread if you set the blower to your feet before you get out of the car, then the sudden rush of cold damp air will not hit the screen when you first get in your car and it will reduce the amount of condensation on the screen, then once been running for a minute then turn the blower to the screen.
obviously this wont work if there is already ice on the inside of the windscreen.
Give it a try.....

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
This morning i tried what someone on here said. Keep the fans pointing to the footwell for a good few minutes before turning them onto the windscreen. It actually worked!:D
Did not do the usuall big mist when the fans come on.

Give it a go!

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
This morning i tried what someone on here said. Keep the fans pointing to the footwell for a good few minutes before turning them onto the windscreen. It actually worked!:D
Did not do the usuall big mist when the fans come on.

Give it a go!

It worked for me too, but i footwelled for 10 minutes the night before on my way home

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
or alternatively run the car with no blower on for a few mins whilst you are scraping the car

I don't even turn my blower off one until it's warm to the hand that way the water used in the heater gets a chance to warm up rather than blasting cold air at the screen plus the water wont release until the thermostat opens anyway and when it does having already been blowing cold air over it will mean it takes longer to warm up

plus scraping it off is good exercise and saves on cfc gases :p

Cupra Jim

Nov 18, 2009
Coventry
Is there any genuine fix to this or should I throw the de-icer away and just leave it running for 10 minutes every morning to clear the screens?[/QUOTE]

More importantly I'd buy the scrapper and not leave my car running otherwise your have some chav waving at you with his two finger and driving off in your car!!

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003

More importantly I'd buy the scrapper and not leave my car running otherwise your have some chav waving at you with his two finger and driving off in your car!![/QUOTE]

I'm always sat in it while it's running, with the doors locked!
Thats probably why I get so pissed off, sat there waiting for 10 minutes freezing cold!

Does anyone else have a Leon that where the door seals don't clear the water off the outside of the window when it's raining? Ie. when you wind the windows down and up again to clear the rain off, nothing happens on mine, they come back up exactly the same.
Every other car I've owned has cleared them!

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
All the above are all too true!
Buy a spanish car and drive in the iberian peninsular and it all makes perfect sense........
I turn on and either scrape ice or silicone blade water off then get in.
Buy a Saab and you can bake potatoes in the heater outflow within minutes (based on pre GM cars-don't know if still true)
Buy an Audi and your own toasty smugness will do the trick.
Buy a Bm and other peoples glares of disapproval will do it too.
Simples!!!

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
I'm having the same problems with the fffing windows. Not happy about this at all and am going to take the thing into SEAT later and do some serious finger pointing.

"fix that or have it back" type stuff.

Its got to the point where I have more water on the inside than on the outside.

How did they manage to design a car that gets wetter on the inside of the windows than it is on the outside????????

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.