Headlight Problem - 99 MK2 Ibiza GTi Cupra

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
G'day,

Just noticed this today!

Inside the Headlight unit of my MK2 Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport theres a metal cup on the end of a bracket that fits over the mainbeam buld to deflect the light back onto the reflector?

The problem is that this is has become detached and is now loose inside, at the base of the glass!

Can I get in there to re-attach it as it dos'nt seem to have broken off?

Cheers!

Svenster

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
This is the anti-dazzle device and the same thing happened to me @ 6 months ago. It is possible to refit this but its very fiddly!

At the opposite end to the cup, the device ends in a "T" shape a bit like:
T
I
O

The two lugs of the "T" slot into corresponding grooves at the base of the light inside the headlamp.

I repaired mine by removing the headlamp and taking out the bulb holder - IIRC its just a couple of small screws. By tilting the headlamp around and shaking it a bit I was able to use a pair of long-nosed pliers to grab the device at the base of the "T" section and guide it back into the grooves. Make sure the inside of the cup faces the inside of the headlamp or the bulb wont fit back in!

This did take quite some time, numerous failed attempts and lot of patience. I found the fit to be quite secure but just in case, I used a bent rod to apply a blob or two of superglue.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Cheers for that!

So long as theres a possibility of not shelling out for a new lamp I've got all the patience in the world.

Will taking every thing off/out etc mess up all the adjustments?

Svenster

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Hmmm... hazy memory about this but I seem to remember it was necessary to undo/move the adjustors, so I made a few rough measurements before dismantling and reset everything back afterwards. Haven't had any probs or complaints about dazzle since & the car passed the MOT no problemo. :)

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
Same thing has happened to my mates 16v Cupra he's just bought, well, actually came like that.

Have bought spare headlights before, so was just going to take the problem one off and rip it apart, shouldn't be too hard but cheers for the hinters.

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
Done this today, what a mare.

Removed headlight, then spent the next hour infront of the tele trying to sort it out. Managed to use prongs to slip in back on, not sure how tight, so looped a bit of wire around it and tied it back tight so it can't move forward and come off again. The wire is just tied on the outer side, the headlight fitted back on fine with that.

Cheers for the pointer, tricky YES! Now my mate will want me to do it all over again with his :cry: lol

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
Guess what!

Yep - the anti-glare widget has come adrift in the other headlight!

Still as the car was parked near Buncefield in Hemel, I guess I'm lucky?

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
Stu_HR said:
Guess what!

Yep - the anti-glare widget has come adrift in the other headlight!

Still as the car was parked near Buncefield in Hemel, I guess I'm lucky?

LOL ...I'm waiting for my other one. Did my mates one last Friday in half the time, aswell as swapping all the bulbs for philips blue visions, easier when the headlight is off.

Why d'you consider yourself lucky where you parked? :confused:

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
I normally drive past the Buncefield depot every day as I work nearby in the Hemel industrial estate and my girlfriend's flat is also not far away either. :blink:
Sunsets were pretty interesting - looked like some of the eerie pictures of the oil fields during the first Gulf War. :wtf:
The office was inside the exclusion zone so the Police wouldn't let me go to work for 4 days!
:funk:

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
Ah yes, I see the link, I've been blonde this week, espeically with petrol caps :doh:

The drivers side light is the biggest pain the ars, the headlight lense is different to the passenger side one, meaning you can see into it a lot less, making it trickier to pinch back the anti-dazzle crap, good luck!

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Sorry for dragging this old thread up but just to prove if you do a search then you will likely find the answer no matter how obscure your problem.....

I got loads of flashing of headlights from oncoming drivers when I came back from Oxford on Saturday - just been outside to have an investigate and the shield has fallen off on the nearside.

I guess I'll be testing my patience to refit it!

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
The Morettes came off back in May - there was no way in hell they were going to pass an MOT! Plus I got hacked off with the fact they gave out about as much light as a flickering match. So I'm back with the OE 2 piece reflectors. Although my search for a replacement grille goes on - first one off eBay got snapped in the post as the seller didn't wrap it properly; second one seller didn't even bother sending it (probably when they realised the £5 they'd put for postage was woefully inadequate). One will come up local to me eventually, hopefully in white so I can go for the taxi look.

Anyway all done and fixed in about 15 mins. Trickiest bit wasn't refitting the shield in the light (I've got two pairs of long nosed pliers so was easy to manoeuvre), it was removing the light holder to gain access to the inside of the reflector. Why do car manufacturers insist on using Torx bits??? One side there was no access whatsoever thanks to the plastic back of the light so I couldn't use my Torx keys. Fortunately got an angle with a small screwdriver which did the trick.

Oh, and I need to get a new sig photo! I'm off out at Snetterton on the 13th Nov with Tris, Dan, Roly etc. so fingers crossed I'll get a replacement.

Last edited:

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Oh, and sorry to all the Northbound drivers on the A4074 on Saturday evening:hide:

PS. I'm nearly back up to 1000 posts. Does this mean that the Mods will do a tidy-up and I'll be back down to 500 :think:

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
Although my search for a replacement grille goes on - first one off eBay got snapped in the post as the seller didn't wrap it properly; second one seller didn't even bother sending it (probably when they realised the £5 they'd put for postage was woefully inadequate). One will come up local to me eventually, hopefully in white so I can go for the taxi look.

This must be my lucky week. Not only did I fix the light issue with minimum fuss, I've also at last got a grille surround. It's brand new, still in primer and from the local dealer 5 miles up the road. Total cost £4.99! They were having an eBay clearout and I got lucky I guess. So a quick spray up with some black paint and she'll be looking beautiful again :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.