How to - Change Brake Light Switch

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
FYI, mk4 ibiza is much easier, only 3 screws to remove bottom panel and switch is dead easy to access.
Mine is on it's way out for sure, original part number is 3BO 945 511A I think. Just need to source a replacement part quickly.

randomage

Feb 23, 2012
South Devon
Being out in north wales sucks, I've got the same problem, but there isn't a GSF, TPS or Euro car parts store within an hours drive of me. Typical. Anyone anywhere near me have any idea where I can get hold of a decent quality switch quickly? I use my car daily, every time I brake at the moment I'm glancing at my rear view in terror if I see a set of headlights...

Greenjag

Jan 19, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
Being out in north wales sucks, I've got the same problem, but there isn't a GSF, TPS or Euro car parts store within an hours drive of me. Typical. Anyone anywhere near me have any idea where I can get hold of a decent quality switch quickly? I use my car daily, every time I brake at the moment I'm glancing at my rear view in terror if I see a set of headlights...

Have you got a vw dealer near you? Part is identical to mk4 golf. I went in to my vw dealer to get mine told parts bloke I was after the part for a Leon and gave him the part number asked him if it matched the golf. He said yes and sold me one for just under a tenner.

Russler

Nov 27, 2011
Reading
Brake light switch...problem?
Hi all...i had a fault code pop up on my LCR for the "brake light switch" and sure enough only had the centre brake light working...so i got the 2 different replacement switches availble as gsf were not sure which one was actually needed...have tried both and replaced the bulbs but the brake lights still dont work? Can anyone advise? Thanks

Ellis jack

Very good guide thanks, just finished changing mine. Switch cost £7 from ebay, took half an hour to change!

Miss Chief

Jun 4, 2011
Brake light switch...problem?
Hi all...i had a fault code pop up on my LCR for the "brake light switch" and sure enough only had the centre brake light working...so i got the 2 different replacement switches availble as gsf were not sure which one was actually needed...have tried both and replaced the bulbs but the brake lights still dont work? Can anyone advise? Thanks

Surely as the switch provides the signal for all the lights, including the spoiler light then it can't be the switch? just a thought, have you actually checked the bulbs? After that the fuse?

Going to try and replace mine at some point over the weekend. Without reading the whole thread (again) can it be done without removing the whole bottom of the dash as in post 1 at all?

Last edited:

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
discovered another small problem with my Leon. My brake lights only work when i apply a heavy amount of pressure on the brake pedal and not atall when im braking gently. This cant be classed as a intermittent problem because it always does this. Do I need a new Switch???

Miss Chief

Jun 4, 2011
I would suggest either the switch is faulty or hasn't been set correctly. You'll certainly need to have a look. They're cheap enough so you may as well just replace it while you've got the bottom of the dash off.

Miss Chief

Jun 4, 2011
Ended up asking my spanner to do it while he was servicing it and I don't think I could have done it myself. Apparently the piston was seized and they couldn't wind it back. After that and pads and the service it was £303! :(

She hopefully won't need more than tyres in the next few months!

Grant77r

great guide and ive just done it myself however the two lower brakes still dont work??? and the bulbs seem fine! :/ any ideas people!?

thanks
Grant

hondated

Dec 13, 2007
Thanks thanks

STAN24V it was now 6 years ago when you posted the details about replacing the brake light switch and I just want to say thank you for doing so as it made the job for me so much easier.
I would for instance never have thought to remove the bonnet lever screws.

As you know its a job that can be done really cheaply by yourself but a garage would charge a fortune.
Thanks again and I will say once again that owning a Seat and running it is so so much easier because of all the help us know nothings can get on here.

With this sort of help I cannot see me ever flogging the old girl.

fipsy

I followed the steps completely but still cannot get my lights to work. They did for all of about 60seconds, then I heard the ratchet and now they've stopped again. I do a lot of motorway miles so brake lights are a must but I can't understand why they've stopped. I've tried resetting the switch as per the steps given in this thread but to no joy. Anybody able to she'd some light please?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.