Ibiza ecomotive mk4 and mk5 what are they like?

loonymoon

One day in the distant future I would like to change my ibiza to an ecomotive version.

So what are they like? I gather the mk4 version would be similar to my own ibiza, just with the ecomotive engine.

What are they like to drive? How's the performance? What's the mk5 like?

What is a REAL world mpg from an ecomotive?

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Our MK5 ECO should be arriveing at the end of October. I don't think many people come on here with their ECO's.. as the people that buy them generally I think aren't enthusiasts.... could be wrong tho.

Mike

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
My wife has got a VW Polo 1.4 3cylinder TDI (70bhp) which I believe is pretty similar to the Ibiza Mk4 Ecomotive.

Really noisy at tickover but sounds quite pleasant when nipping around town. There's enough torque to keep it on the boil too. Road tax is £35 per year, it regularly does 400-500 miles on a tank (£40 fill up), and spares are dirt cheap (tiny tyres etc.).

loonymoon

Thanks guys.

It sounds from what I've been reading that the Ecomotive 1.4TDi would probably give equal or maybe better perfomance than my 75ps 1.4 petrol with all the advantages of low fuel bills etc.

Damned shame I'm supposed to be saving for a deposit on house or I'd probably go for one right now..

:-(

I like my ibiza but it could be even better!!

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
The Ecomotives and Bluemotion cousins are just like normal TDIs with a few tweaks such as some aerodynamic aids, higher gearing and expensive special low rolling resistance tyres. They are designed for long distance use at medium speeds. If you do normal driving I doubt if you'd save much on fuel compared to another TDI with a similar engine IMO.

loonymoon

You might be right, but coming from a petrol 1.4 the difference will be huge!! I did consider the 1.4 TDi when i bought the ibiza, but at the time I didn't have the extra grand to fund it and the tax advantage wasn't so big as I'm thinking it will be in the future.

My Ibiza is in new tax band G which is £150 this year, but will probably go up next year. The ecomotive I believe may even be free to tax as it's emissions are the lowest out there in a non hybrid car.

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
I have a MK4 Ecomotive. Very nice to drive, just had its first service today and im thinking about swapping it for a MK5 shape but i am not too sure yet.
Dont know what MPG i actually get but i can tell you that it is very good indeed. London and back can be done on about £10 thoughly i think and i live in Birmingham so its a bit of a distance.

Very nice car though.

loonymoon

Sounds great.

Wish I could do it now, but I can't, my partner would kill me as we're supposed to be looking to buy a house. There's nothing wrong with my current Ibiza at all, apart from the poor economy for it's performance (or lack of). I think I've just got itchy feet!

Daniel1431

Jun 21, 2008
Walsall, West Midlands
Yeah but if you want an Ecomotive i dont think you can get a better eco car at the moment for that type of money. If you are fine holding then i would do that and wait for some 0% offers to come on if they do....

Hank

Sep 20, 2009
longer you wait the more the car will cost you as the prices go up tomorrow

Thanks for that, I went into my local Seat dealer yesterday and he had said it had already gone up £500, he was getting the price from the new October price list.

ukreddevil

Jul 20, 2009
Hove
I have got a 1.4tdi sport, £35 tax, and I am running on a stage one remap, I used to have a 320ci convertible that did 21mpg and I am now doing 50-60mpg without looking at my speed etc. I have certainly noticed the difference in my wallet and I am starting a family and still able to save up for my fr tdi when I can afford the more eco friendly and tax friendly common rail version :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members