Induction kit leon 1.8T

D1andonlyantman

Dec 5, 2013
I would say cone is better over all on a turbo car. Regardless whether the air is cold is irrelevant. If the air is freezing cold once it goes through the red hot turbo it will turn that into hot air. Turning hot air into cold air is the job of the intercooler.
If running higher than standard power I would say a panel filter inside the standard air box is more restrictive than a free flowing cone filter.

Simple way to test this would be to do a vagcom log on your mass airflow with both cone and panel filters

all the googling I done before I bought a new filter basically goes with that. Cooling the air after the turbo is way more important than cooling it before. That's not to say a good cold air feed isn't a good idea though. And I saw a YouTube vid where they tried a few different filter setups on a standard skyline, and the panel and cone filters performed the same as makes no diffence, which was better than the standard filter. And I'm not having a dig at Ryan but saying map before anything else is ridiculous. In an ideal world you would do any and all engine mods you're going to ever do and then get it mapped, because any mods you do after the map mess with the AFR throwing off your map again. That's only in an ideal world tho. I'm stage 1 at the moment because my insurer won't let me get an FMIC but once my years up and I change I'll get the FMIC and go stage 2

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
I didn't take that as a dig at all Dan, I'd personally map mine first purely because that way you can then run with what you've got until you're ready for doing the bigger stuff

My plans for mine were map first stage 1 then when funds allow go bigger, Not because it's the correct order to do it but bang for buck the best way to increase bhp is to map it.

As it happens I'll be doing mine in no particular order but that's because I'm too busy fixing the things that are wrong with it and because my exhaust is on the way out I'll be changing that first etc.

D1andonlyantman

Dec 5, 2013
You're not the first person to call me dan because of my screen name even though it doesn't say dan at all lol I understand what you're saying and there are definitely gains to be had by mapping even the standard car, but adding a decent filter will free up some more hp after remap, a decent turbo intake pipe will free up more hp once you get it remapped, a decat exhaust will help free up more hp after remap. You see where I'm going with this. Any mods you do before remap will give you better gains, so although mods are not essential for stage one, they're beneficial. I had to put my cat back in for my MOT not long ago and definitely noticed the car was slower both on acceleration and top end. You don't need to do any mods but they definitely help, that's all im saying

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
I would say cone is better over all on a turbo car. Regardless whether the air is cold is irrelevant. If the air is freezing cold once it goes through the red hot turbo it will turn that into hot air. Turning hot air into cold air is the job of the intercooler.
If running higher than standard power I would say a panel filter inside the standard air box is more restrictive than a free flowing cone filter.

Simple way to test this would be to do a vagcom log on your mass airflow with both cone and panel filters

It does matter it's all about the density and mass of the air, colder air is more dense than hot air, google it, just because it goes through a hot turbo yes intercoolers the lower the charge temp on Intake is important too, and a panel filter is way better than a cone filter, if cone filters were so good why are they not fitted as standard, because they cause heat soak, there is no proof that they increase bhp over a panel filter I have been modding cars for over 25 years and not just on my drive I made it my business most factory airboxs will be capable of upto 400bhp, a cone filter does nothing but sound good and suck hot air from heat soak around the engine bay, if you want the intake to work it has to be either in a sealed box with an intake pipe behind the grill or the filter inside the wheel arch again sealed from water ingress and a cold air ram pipe to feed it cold air,

But this is just my opinion of years and years seeing cars on dynos suffering from cone filters,

If you want an intake that works, uses hard pipe from the turbo to a sealed cone filer in the inner wheel arch then a cold air ram pipe to feed that, no water ingress and deffo no heat soak,

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Well I don't know what dyno you take your cars onto but I've always found on turbo cars a cone filter is better.

"It does matter it's all about the density and mass of the air, colder air is more dense than hot air"

yes air is more dense when cold but like I said it goes through a hot turbo before it reaches the engine so the intercooler is the part that cools the charge temps. So I don't understand what your saying because your
Essentially agreeing with me :S

They wearnt fitted as standard purely because they are noisy. Hence why exhaust systems are so restrictive and quiet. Not all people appreciate noise.

Like I said do a mass airflow log on vagcom and show us the difference

Last edited:

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
I'm not saying your wrong at all and a log on vagcom will show more air I guess this is one of those age old things where everyday is different and everyone has an opinion about whether or not they actually do anything buy just bolting them on apart from having a noise that only the macdoanlds crew get excited over

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
That Clio is a non turbo. Your right if it was a N/A car which doesn't have a turbo or an intercooler. Getting as much cold air into the intake would be ideal. But we are talking about turbod cars

cupra_mike

Jan 30, 2011
Jetex Open cone, i logged going from pipercross velocity (which was old and dirty) to a brand new jetex and results were HUGE (granted the old dirty filter may have been holiding it back a little) but i wish id bought Jetex alot sooner, theres been plenty of members running this with logs to prove!!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
panel filters are not higher flowing than large open cones such as Jetex etc.
well proven on logged airflow and measured dyno

why dont manufacturers fit them? They want quiet cars and are making them to achieve a power output and gas emission... thats all. They are not optimising them for anything more..

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Yup MPG will increase with a remap because the engine won't be working as hard to get to the same speeds so engine RPM will be lower

However the saying is power corrupts so you'll be gunning it everywhere with a smile on your face so MPG won't exactly be important ;)

I'm guessing you're AUQ lump?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-Leon...rParts_SM&fits=Model:Leon&hash=item3f2a7f670b

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Cot...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c9f197b3

I know where my money'd be going :)

Engine rpm doesn't decrease with a remap. Its just that the engine will produce more torque which will make it easier to get up to speed quickly.

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Engine rpm doesn't decrease with a remap. Its just that the engine will produce more torque which will make it easier to get up to speed quickly.

Ah ok, I thought because of the added torque surely it wouldn't need to rev as hard to get up to speed so you wouldn't need to rev the engine as hard so the rpm needed at a certain speed would be decreased

My mistake :)

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Naa mate. Your right you technically shouldn't have to "thrash" it to get it up to speed as the improved torque should pull you up to your desired speed quicker, your not spending more time accelerating to reach your desired speed therefore saving fuel. But like you say it doesn't work out like that as remap on a turbo car means more boost = :D :D

Oct 15, 2013
Midhurst, West Sussex
Naa mate. Your right you technically shouldn't have to "thrash" it to get it up to speed as the improved torque should pull you up to your desired speed quicker, your not spending more time accelerating to reach your desired speed therefore saving fuel. But like you say it doesn't work out like that as remap on a turbo car means more boost = :D :D

:D exactly and let's be honest who remaps their car for MPG :rofl:

Dan K

Mar 14, 2014
So let's get this right some people prefer panel filters and some cones.

I want to keep the original look so a panel filter is sealed in the air box with cold air feel so I think that's the best option plus a remap

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members