K and N induction kit for toledo v5 170bph 2.3l 2003 model.

big_ee68

1) Has anybody fitted one, that added notable performace, - and which one did they fit (k & n part number) please.
As there are no toldedo specfic ones. and K&N do various for the golf and bora, it might be that peeps are not using the best model if they are not getting the performance...?

2) K&N and their dealers say they are not aware these can be fitted. (see below) So perhaps fitting the wrong one does more harm than good?

3) Has anybody fitted the k and n appollo unit or the element and again was it worth it?

Thanks

Ian

From K & N:
Hello
Unfortunately, since the kit has not been fit checked by our R&D Dept., we
cannot advise suitability.
Regards

>From: "Kinnor Services" <[email protected]>
>To: <[email protected]>
>Subject: K&N
>Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:07:51 +0100
>
>
>Hello
>
>Thanks for your mail.
>
>The replacement element for this vehicle is a 33-2128, this would be
>£50.29 with postage and discount.
>
>Unfortunately we are not aware of the Golf kit being suitable for this
>car, as yet K&N UK have not developed an induction kit.
>
>Another option is the new K&N Apollo unit which is an enclosed
>universal clamp on filter suitable for most injected vehicles. Total
>cost with postage would be £204.77.
>
>They are available in several colours (silver, blue and red), adaptors
>are also available depending on the flange size required. Stepped
>adaptors are available in 70-60mm, 70-80mm and are £10.33 with postage
>and discount. The outer diameter of the neck on the Apollo is 70mm. The
>adaptors allow fitment to air inlets which are either 60, 70 or 80mm
>outer diameter. The metal sleeve allows fitment to inlets that are 60,
>70 or 80mm internal diameter.
>
>If interested a secure order form can be found on our web site:
>https://secure3.easyspace.com/www.filterpower.co.uk/fporder.htm
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Lesley Smith
>Sales Director
>Kinnor Services
>Warrington, UK
>* +44 1925 763405
>* [email protected]
>

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
I have a K&N panel filter, the best!

I think cone filters are all noise, and mostly degrade performance.

Orpster

Cotton Green

Cotton Green is the way to go .. I've heard of a few probs with the K&N filters on the V5's , so the safe bet would be the Cotton Green for sure thinking of investing my self ,, http://www.green-filter.co.uk/ or get ya self some professional advise from the likes of http://www.psituning.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I also read about problems with K&N's on Golf V5's so I've steered well clear (don't ask me to track down the threads though - think it must have been on the uk-mkiv's forum)

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
the discussion of K&N filters and Seat Tolly/Leon has been on going for a very long time!
i believe a few people on the forum have successfully installed them on their cars no problems (and defended them) but there are issues if you get the wrong filter.
Some of them have an oil covering that basically gets sucked through and covers your MAF sensor...if you have done any searching on the forum you will see the number of postings about this little sensor....if it is not working properly (ie had an impromptu shower in oil) it will screw the performance of your beloved!
MAF replacements are easy and in some cases i know of people who have successfully cleaned them but DEFINATELY make sure you search the forums to see which filters have been fitted.....i am of course talking about discussions over the last few years, so i would imagine some development and improvements must have taken place!!
I steered clear as i did have a faulty MAF once and didnt want to risk it again!

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
I had a K&N panel filter on my 2.3v5 170bhp and did several thousand miles in it with no problems.

Kewe now has the car - I'm sure he will confirm.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I had a K&N panel filter on my 2.3v5 170bhp and did several thousand miles in it with no problems.

Kewe now has the car - I'm sure he will confirm.

Yep no problems to report with the said K&N Panel filter or MAF since I've had the car. Time will tell I suppose or would it show up pretty quick is the question?

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Well I had the car for around 6 months and did a few thousand (5?) and I think if there was going to be a problem it would have come up by then!

big_ee68

Thanks for the advice guy's . I fitted the k and n in the end and an ecotek, a powerflow exhust, (left it noisy, and left the exhaust tail hidden ) and had the amd re-map.
The sensor lights where on before all that, so whilst at amd they changed the sensors. Didn't do a rolling road, but have a noticeble increase in performace especialy at 4000 - 5000 rpm. And it sounds very throaty and good.
Sensor lights have come back periodically but haven't noticed any difference when they do.
I think it's now a really great car. Police ignore it, and very little can keep up with it on the motorways, and fast roads. Still in love with it. More so now.

2003v5

Ive got a pipercross panel filter In my car and to be honest i cant tell a difference over the standard filter. Thinking of getting a k&n panel filter instead.

AP_V5

Jan 19, 2010
Sussex
I've fitted an enclosed CDA induction kit to my 170, made my own brackets to fit as its a universal filter but seem to give good results although not rolling road tested.

When I bought the car some cowboy had cut the bottom of the airbox off and used to get terrible heat soak in hot weather and throttle response would become really flat, I'd imagine you would get the same affect with a K&N 57i kit.

2003v5

I got rid of my pipercross panel filter and bought a K&n panel filter for my tolly, fitted it last week and my car seems to run a little better,Now i dont know if its my imagination but it sounds like it has a deeper rumble when you put your foot down to.