LED Headlight Leveling

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
I had one of my headlights on my Cupra fail to level this morning (it was stuck pointing to the ground in front of the car). I pulled over and turned the ignition off then on again which solved it. I'll mention it to the dealer. I hope it's a one off.

Just wondered if anyone else had had problems with their headlights self leveling ?

Last edited:

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
There have been a few posts about electrical glitches that seem to correct themselves when reset. This may have to be added to them.

Could be an external factor (dampness?) or a weakness in the electrics. If it was a computer the "if all else fails.." route is often taken. Since cars nowadays have more and more computing power maybe its something we will have to get used to.

Deleted member 95757

Hi,
I too have a headlight levelling problem. My LED lights NEVER 'auto-level' when I switch them on. When I switch them on they are always at some level but I don't know if it's the correct level or not. I took the car back to the dealer and he did something - not sure what. He then switched on the headlights and they did indeed auto-level, but that's the only time they've ever done it. Does this sound like a fault to you?
Thanks
Tony

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
On the odd occasion if my car is not on a level surface lights have faild to auto level, probably happened 3 times in 6 months.

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Hi,
I too have a headlight levelling problem. My LED lights NEVER 'auto-level' when I switch them on. When I switch them on they are always at some level but I don't know if it's the correct level or not. I took the car back to the dealer and he did something - not sure what. He then switched on the headlights and they did indeed auto-level, but that's the only time they've ever done it. Does this sound like a fault to you?
Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony,
I thought I had the same issue on mine, the lights auto level when the ignition is switched on, you can only see this if they are selected on at the time. They Dont re-level when you switch them on after this. Listen out for the motors when you start it up.. Its a kind of whine.

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
What datum do the lights "auto level" too ?????
Ive always thought mine were too low... but as I park on a slightly inclined drive, maybe thats causing it ?

If so - how do I reset them ?

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
My drivers side is still failing so it's going back to the garage again :(

To get the to relevel you have to turn the ignition fully off then on again. They're designed to drop if they stop receiving a signal from the level sensor in the chassis AFAIK (Ann high intensity lamps should do this by law).

Deleted member 95757

Hi Fraczish
Thanks. I didn't know the auto-levelling happened at engine startup. Now I know that I've discovered that my lights are working fine. Not impressed with lo beam coverage though but I guess I just have to live with that :-(
Tony

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
Bringing this subject back to the thread I started a while back.. Having had the leveling motor swapped out by the dealer and it not curing the problem. The dealer has now asked to have the car for a week to carry out a load of tests every morning when it's cold.

I'll have more news by the end of January.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
There is a separate thread on this with quite a few owners (myself included) that experience the drivers side light not levelling when cold. Appears to be temperature related as once the engine is warm if the ignition is turned off then on again it works fine.

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
There is a separate thread on this with quite a few owners (myself included) that experience the drivers side light not levelling when cold. Appears to be temperature related as once the engine is warm if the ignition is turned off then on again it works fine.

I think you're referring to the thread "LED headlights in snow" http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=412443 - I resurrected mine as it's specifically about the levelling (rather than the LED's not heating snow enough and a load of other issues) and has the right title for the subject. I'm on that thread too.. but thanks for the comment :whistle: :)

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Mine have also been fine since I last posted about them, despite the appalling weather we've been having. I had the issue back for two days following my visit to the dealership, then it went away. I'm keeping a very close eye on them though... Can't say I trust that it won't return at some point, especially since nobody has so far been able to pinpoint the cause. Still, time will tell. For now, they're fine!

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Well... Didn't last long. I now have non functional lights again. In fact, they're worse now than they were, I now have a warning on the main display saying 'LED headlight failure; attend workshop' or something similar.

It'll be going back to the dealers again. If they don't/can't fix it this time round I may refuse to take the car back until it is fixed properly. I do the bulk of my driving at night, so I kinda need working beams!

How is everyone else who had this issue fairing?

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
Car has been in the Milton Keynes Seat dealer for a week.. I'm hoping no news is good news. It was pretty cold this morning so I hope they saw the issue. Hope to get the car back tomorrow..

eerm.. that's a lot of hoping...

Last edited:

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Car has been in the Milton Keynes Seat dealer for a week.. I'm hoping no news is good news. It was pretty cold this morning so I hope they saw the issue. Hope to get the car back tomorrow..

eerm.. that's a lot of hoping...

The dealer could be the problem. Didn't spot the issue with the cooling system on mine in 3 attempts, Northampton dealer found the problem and fixed it first time round.

Whilst the customer service in MK was good, I won't be going there again for service or warranty issues.

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
Im another who has nothing positive to say about Milton Keynes Seat, they make to many error's, like simonali, I will wait for a proper fix.

Blunteh

Apr 3, 2014
Christ.... feels like there isn't a decent Seat dealer around then.. No fault found after a week and I'll get the car back tomorrow. I think I'll be taking it to an Indi for servicing. I'm going to reopen my case with Seat customer services on the headlight issue.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
What this needs is someone to get a ticket for defective lights and to take Seat to court for lights that are not fit for purpose.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members