Leon cupra xenon oem bulb upgrade

karnage

Hi All

Has anyone tried upgrading the standard OEM xenon bulbs on their Leon Cupra MK2.
If you have please could you post some instructions with photos and how you did it.

Thanks
:happy:

karnage

Hi John

Thanks for the link, but do you have anything specific for the LEON CUPRA MK2 as the article only gives you info on GOLF 5 GTI.

THanks

karnage

Thanks once again John but I do have an idea but I just need more information about opening up the headlights and replacing the bulb

Does anyone else know anything about this

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Thanks once again John but I do have an idea but I just need more information about opening up the headlights and replacing the bulb

Does anyone else know anything about this

On the rear of the headlight there will be a black plastic cover with an orange triangle sticker on it directly behind your dipped beam. You will need a T25 torx key to remove this (thats what it was on mine) once you have this off remove the wiring from the bulb and undo the metal spring clip that goes over it.

Now all this seems easy in writing, but it is a rediculously tight space so nimble fingers help. Hope this gives you some idea how to go about doing it, sorry for the lack of pics.:)

EDIT: Infact i have a spare headlight in my garage ill get some pics for you

Last edited:

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Ok here goes...

First you will see the rear of the headlight like this, note the four torx screws
DSCF2866.jpg

Remove the screws
DSCF2867.jpg

You will then see the headlight like this
DSCF2868.jpg

The thick silver braided wire connects to the bulb this will just pull off. Then the bulb is actually just a press fit and those silver teeth looking things hold it in place.

karnage

Thanks so much LEON_MHX for the pics and your help, would it be okay if I dont remove the complete headlight unit and is there enough space to work with if I dont remove it.

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
Thanks so much LEON_MHX for the pics and your help, would it be okay if I dont remove the complete headlight unit and is there enough space to work with if I dont remove it.

I struggled with space when changing just the sidelights, it is tight there mate. Just make sure you have the best tools handy to make it easier, you may end up with cuts like i did or am i just a moron?? lol Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
It will be do-able, like said above. Best thing to use probably will be a 1/4" drive socket set(small one) and get a T25 socket to fit it. Good luck!

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Sorry, one further question for you guys, do you have to change Xenon bulbs in pairs like halogens or can you just change the blown one and keep the older one that was still working or will the older one blow shortly after?

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
It is meant to be best to change them in pairs as over time the colour of the bulb changes so they will look odd in theory anyway. Cant see the harm in just doing one and see how it looks.

MadsenTDi

Dec 8, 2009
Denmark
It is meant to be best to change them in pairs as over time the colour of the bulb changes so they will look odd in theory anyway. Cant see the harm in just doing one and see how it looks.

Leon_MHX -> did you complete your xenon install with all OEM parts, or did you find some aftermarket parts?

I just got my xenon lights from the stealer, and ofcourse there a no bulbs or igniters or anything, and i will cost me yet another fortune to get there parts :D
So i was wondering if it was possible to go NON-OEM and save a few $$ ?

noddyFR

Leon FR tdi 205+
Mar 20, 2008
Prestwick
I replaced the lights with non standard bulbs, (nightbreakers) from Auto bulbs direct i think it was.. internet is by far the cheapest, the rear of my headlight is only held on with two metal clips and not the 4 screws....
The clips just pull off which exposes the bulb inside which is then so easy to replace...2 minute job.

:)

MadsenTDi

Dec 8, 2009
Denmark
I replaced the lights with non standard bulbs, (nightbreakers) from Auto bulbs direct i think it was.. internet is by far the cheapest, the rear of my headlight is only held on with two metal clips and not the 4 screws....
The clips just pull off which exposes the bulb inside which is then so easy to replace...2 minute job.

:)

And this is on the OEM bi-xenon lights? Do you have any photos of this here mate :)

MadsenTDi

Dec 8, 2009
Denmark
Sorry my mistake......:cry:

Obviously thats why the back of the headlight is different!!

Na, mine was normal headlights

I also has HIDs in my non-xenon lights now, and also with the back cover off. But here i Denmark the coppers are getting pretty strict about HIDs mounted in NON-xenon lights, so to avoid getting pulled over all the time, i have to go with oem xenons :(

MadsenTDi

Dec 8, 2009
Denmark
Not so good then mate, hope you get sorted and all legal....HA

Well, not completely legal, because i dont think i want to spend the last 300£ on auto levelling of the lights :D The cops wont lay down on the ground to check for the sensors, at least i dont hope so :rolleyes:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members