Leon sale options – Please help me decide

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
First off m0rk ive read your post and this isn’t me trying to sell my car its me trying to gauge an objective opinion of what I can actually expect to get for my car.

Now heres the story! I need to move out of my place in the next year (hoping to be under 6 months but trying to be realistic) and the only way I can afford a place is if I stump up a large deposit (to get a mortgage etc). Now I vowed to take my LCR to the grave with me as the only car I really wanted (that I can afford!) So basicly im wondering what to do! The choices I have are:

• Keep the LCR and try and get a cheaper place – Tis will only happen if I get sod all for my car!
• Sell the LCR and get an old audi etc so I can to and from work reliably
• Sell the LCR as is – Hoping for £14995
• Strip the LCR and sell her on basic and then sell the parts - £12995 for the car + parts

So what am after from you guys is a realistic options on what im likely to get for the car. I know it really does depend on if someone wants the car etc but which is my best route? I will be putting the car up for sale soon as she stands and then see how much interest I get. If theirs none then I will be stripping her for parts as really I don’t want anyone else having her as she is!

The car is a 2004 LCR in ovni, remaining warrantee, Tax, one careful owner, no track days (but 4 quarter mile runs), 26k.

On auto trader there going for around the 12k mark so assuming that and then the below:

K04 Hybrid Turbo - £800
Polished inlet manifold - £100
Polished charge pipe £100
Silicon hoses - £150
Nuespeed caps - £150
Cda Induction Kit - £100
Forge FMIC - £400
Coilovers - £250
ARBS - £250
Chrome alloy wheels - £150 exchange
Ap racing disks - £350
Custom install - £800
Pioneer Sat nav - £700
Private plate - £300

Total - £4600 Now give or take a few £ on the parts or something does this sound about right for the parts? God im going to cry as I just worked out what the units actually cost me! And it doesn’t include tyres, service, alarms, other exhausts, other induction kits and Revo!!

Staying on will be the BF exhaust, Down grade to Stage 1 Revo (as loss of parts), Auto windows, s3 vents etc etc

Anyway that’s minus the cost of removing parts etc. So I would either end up with £14995 as she is or (ive seen stock 05 plates with more miles go for this in the dealer!) £16000 in parts etc. What do you think my chances are and are they realistic prices etc? All help is appreciated. I know I will regret selling her and I really really don’t want to but its come to the point where I have no choice!

Deebo

Jan 25, 2004
Wednesbury
Visit site
I'll be honest mate, I doubt that you will get that much with parts. I struggled to get £13500 for my standard 04 Platinum LCR with 11K miles in September 05!

I'd aim a bit lower, around £11-11.5K for the car standard. Then sell the bits for what you can. You might even have to take less, as Ovni can be a pain to shift on. You should get 40-50% back on the parts you sell separate. Good luck with the sale if you decide to move house.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I'll be honest mate, I doubt that you will get that much with parts. I struggled to get £13500 for my standard 04 Platinum LCR with 11K miles in September 05!

I'd aim a bit lower, around £11-11.5K for the car standard. Then sell the bits for what you can. You might even have to take less, as Ovni can be a pain to shift on. You should get 40-50% back on the parts you sell separate. Good luck with the sale if you decide to move house.

As above tbh - unless you can find someone who wants your car exactly as is and knows the true value and is prepared to pay for it.

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
Im sorry to say it but I think you're not being realistic.

I've just pulled this from the for sale section which is silver (unfortunately more desirable than yellow) and newer.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105618

Similar cars to your might get £12,995 at dealers but people will always pay more from a dealer as there is supposedly more peace of mind that way.

I would guess at around 11k standard.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
If you try to sell the car as it stands - i.e. modified - you will lose a massive number of potential customers. You limit yourself to only people who want a modified car and can afford to insure a car like that, and let's be honest, that's not a lot of people. And of those who can afford it, there are even less that want to buy a pre-modified car.

With body mods, wheels and suspension you don't often have any trouble selling modified. It will still be much harder to sell than a standard car, but at least the insurance side of things wont scare people off.
But with engine mods, things get very tricky as you really need to have a lot of faith in the work carried out, or you risk taking on a headache.

Don't get me wrong, it's possible that the right buyer is sat at home now looking desperately for a car just like yours. But it's less likely than if it were a standard car.

Also, bear in mind that you never get the value of the mod's or work done back when you sell the car. You'll get, at best, a bit more than book price compared to a standard car if you find the right buyer, but that can take time.

Your best bet (speaking from experience of trying to sell modified cars in the past) is to de-mod as much as you possibly can. You'll get much more money in the long run and you'll also have a much easier time trying to sell a standard LCR than a modified LCR.

Whatever you chose, good luck :)

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
i just sold a partly modded car. i had the car at similar price or maybe a little more, to a standard car with mods. didn't get much interest, as those who's looking for a new car could find a standard one at lower cost (and didn't really appreciate the mods value and effort to pay over the odds).

ended up taking as much off as i could/want (with little hassle, left body kit on etc.) and little extras just to make it stand out from a standard one and had it advertised at around a standard car price. and sold for that.

modding a car reduces number of potential buyers private and reduces £ in trade.

as above you got to be realisitc.

with performance mods like that, take it off and sell the car standard.
not many people willing to pay over the odds for a modded car, they'll prefer to do it themselves if it was a higher price.
but if you were hard pushed to sell and couldn't be bothered to take off parts, price it at similar prices to a standard one and try to "sale" the car like that as added bonus.

with mods you'll need to find an enthusiast.

i was torn between buying a new car, i don't mind a modded one if i know the history and background, but the guy was factoring the mod prices ontop of the standard car and was too expensive IMO. so i ended up with a mint standard one and do little by little to what i would like.

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
example from for sale section:
Leon Cupra R 225 T (2005) for sale.

28,000 miles. Lunar Grey (Silver).

Tax until March.

2 new front Pirelli Tyres.

Manufacturers Warranty until April 2008.

Full Seat Service History, last serviced June 06.

Totally Standard Car.
think the guy mentioned a trade in £11.8k (but you don't know what he's trading against).

as above, similar kinda of price if sold private give or take £500 i guess.
as for trade in, all pot luck, but aim for £11k.

mods will sale easily if people want, and usually about 50% of rrp for quicker sales. you quoted near £4.6k, so half is ".3k, round it down to be realistic. so £2k.

so say you sold car and mods at pestimisitc lower price: £11k + £2k = £13k.
would you be happy with that figure as a ball park? anything on top is a bonus. if not, don't sale.

charvel

The reason why I would and never have bought a modded car is because it makes ask the question, how has it been driven?
As a potential buyer I would be thinking why add all the extra performance if you're not going to use it, and if you told me that it hadnt been tracked, i'd have a hard time beleiving it.

I'm not saying you're making things up, it's just how my cynical mind (and i'm sure others) works when i'm spending a load of cash.

I'd lose the mods and sell standard.

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Its something ive been thinking about as well, Mine is just sitting in the garage, and i drive it probably twice a month now.

Oh the joys of modding, great when your doing it, bad news when you want rid.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I love my cars to bits and i know i wont find another like her but i ahve to sell really. I need to rase £15k for a deposit on a house im looking at. If i can realisticly get this then i can go ahead but looks like im way off the mark. Most of those prices on the parts are 50% of RRP. I went to an audi dealer at lunch to look at old a4's and some a8's. THey have offered £12.5k trade in against a £2.5k A8 so i will have 10 to play with. If i can get another £2-£3k for parts this will do me. But ive yet to find out what it will cost me to strip the car.

I think for the time being i will put the car up for sale as a whole and hope there is someone thats looking for one and then strip her for parts etc

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
£2.5k A8?

The only ones I can see are really really leggy ones for that - not something a dealer would be interested in.

shoot me down, but was the A8 25k?

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Its an old M reg (think thats they said as it had a private plate) one thats been traded in. The dealer doesnt deal in anything over 3 years or so. They wanted most of the mods left tho

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
hell, I'd take that if the A8's got less than 100k on it - even 150k's are up for enough to cover your deficit

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Its what i was after but the main thing i need was the money for my deposit etc. Bassicly the plan was sell the leon, get the flat, run my mondeo till i found an audi and then when i have a bit more cash get he audi. Only went in to get an idea.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I was thinking - chop in the LCR against the A8, flog the A8, buy a beater (or since you have one, use the beater)

that way you'd have your 15k - and no car or bits to shift

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Sorry, but you'll really struggle. Nowhere near that on mine, and its a 2005 (05)Platinum grey with 19k miles, Revo 2, full Milltek, Forge FMIC, 007P, S3 upper brace, dynatwist, 4 bar FPR, EIP dogbone and shortshift, SEATSport air intake / gearknob / mats, Autometer boost gauge and nomad pillar, Audit TT archliners, NGK Platinum plugs, FSSH (Just serviced), personalised plate, 2 new tyres and didn't get anything like what youre after. Was offered £12k as a trade in, and £13k private. TBH more than I expected, but then when people want them they'll pay for them. With the new Cupra not being out yet, and te recent price hike to £20k I think around the £13k mark is fair, any more is excessive. You never get your money back on mods unless the specific buyer intended to do them anyway and makes compromises for this in the sale price. The world of modding is a cruel and unprofitable place.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Yeah this really has come at the worse time really. The new turbo only went on a few months back.

Coxw that makes audis offer of 12.5k not too bad then as they wanted all you have listed left on the car bar the turbo and the chrome engine bay stuff

Im getting really desperate to keep her but everything is looking down. Ive got one or two options left but after todays kick in the balls im not holding out much hope!

m0rk i will get some more details of that a8 on friday as that maybe a good find

warren_cox

Back from the dead
take it from a man who has watched his 53 plate LCR disappear up the road and into the hands of another, its not to be done lightly. I regretted it so badly that I ended up with another one. I was lucky enough to buy another new one as they were still about in April 05, but I've never regretted anything as much as letting it go.

Trying to find a replacement for LCR number 2 has been impossibly hard. You have to spend significantly more money to better it by a margin, and I guess with the S3 we have spent more for what I see as a marginal improvement. Anything thats significantly better will cost you accordingly.

Think very hard about it - don't do it on a spur of the moment decision.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise