metallic clunk whenever im turning at very slow speeds

jonnyabraxus

Its the best £3600 ive ever spent!!!

Hey guys, new to this forum. Just purchased an 02 cupra with the face lift!! I have a few little issues such as i get a very metallic clunk whenever im turning at very slow speeds i.e when parking, from the front right wheel.doesnt do it at normal speeds and the car is faultless otherwise. anyone got ideas. I think its just a cv joint or maybe a wheel bearing but second (and more knowledgable opinions) would be very much appreciated!!!

mcuh love

jonny

Jonezyfr

Sep 27, 2008
could be just about any bush or joint in the steering or suspension.

not too familiar with leons yet, but try a search if you havnt done already

skunnie26

Oct 4, 2006
Fife
my guess would be anti roll bar bushes. sounds like the same problem i have and mine was diagnosed as this. pain in the a55 to diy i believe.

jonnyabraxus

cool, thanks for the replies.the car is bang on otherwise.im wondering why i didnt get one long ago!!!!

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
coul be an arb bush and the arb fouling the driveshaft.

make sure you wheels bolts are very tight also.

and the nut on the top suspension mount.

jonnyabraxus

no it doesnt,just when turning at really slow speeds,turning left or right.doesnt seem to matter how much lock i put on

Cobweb

Feb 8, 2009
West Sussex
Jonny, mines doing exactly the same thing on a leon Cupra 01.
It's currently in the garage so may have an answer for you this afternoon/tonight....

jonnyabraxus

Cheers dudes.Are these expensive to replace??
Did they manage to find out what the problem was Cobweb??

Cobweb

Feb 8, 2009
West Sussex
The garage thought it might be the passenger front spring - quoted approx £120 to supply and fit.
Did a search online via the dvla website for the mot history on my car, found the advisory notes for its last mot which the garage didnt give me!

Offside front macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment.
Nearside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.
Offside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.

I guess the front arbs need replacing but what is the macpherson strut?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
the macpherson, is the name for the oe struts mate, so new shocks needed then...

£120 is steep for 1, easy peasy to replace yourself also.

Cobweb

Feb 8, 2009
West Sussex
Cheers James.
Just done a search through the forum for macpherson strut and it was mentioned before with this type of advisory it would only require new top mounts.
Is this correct?

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
The garage thought it might be the passenger front spring - quoted approx £120 to supply and fit.
Did a search online via the dvla website for the mot history on my car, found the advisory notes for its last mot which the garage didnt give me!

Offside front macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment.
Nearside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.
Offside front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.

I guess the front arbs need replacing but what is the macpherson strut?

The strut is the assembly which holds the shocker and spring at one end and the brake disc and wheel bearing at the other end. The steering rod attaches to it as well as the drive shaft passing through the wheel bearing.
If there is movement at the top end then you should be able to test this by getting someone to press on the wing with the wheel turned out-over. Examine the top of the spring where it contacts with the plate on the strut. Look for abnormal movement and cracks in the spring. Then examine the top of the shocker piston where its retained under the bonnet - There should be no movement.
I changed a front spring on my other car for £35. A doddle if you have a pair of spring compressors.

Is it a continuous clunking as you are turning? If yes then its the CV joint

Mcphearson is named after the bloke who first designed them for GM just after the second world war.

Last edited:

Cobweb

Feb 8, 2009
West Sussex
Yes a continuos clunking when turning at low speeds (like a 3 point turn or out of a junction) but stops once going in a straight line. So this could be cv joints?

But, if this was an advisory on its mot this month, then more than likely it will need sorting by its next mot?

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
Yes a continuos clunking when turning at low speeds (like a 3 point turn or out of a junction) but stops once going in a straight line. So this could be cv joints?

But, if this was an advisory on its mot this month, then more than likely it will need sorting by its next mot?

From my expierence yes. When the CV joint bearing wears it can show 2 symptoms, depending if its inner or outer wear. I can't remember which is which but yours is shown by a rythmic 'clunking' at low speed when making tight turning circles. The other wear has the symptom of clunking once every time when appling power or even when breaking.

What can often lead to rapid failure is if the CV boot is damaged, allowing dirt into the bearings.

I would have this diagnosed and seen to ASAP. You don't want to be drivng a HP car with worn CVs. I have heard of these suddenly shattering - lets not go there...

Cobweb

Feb 8, 2009
West Sussex
Took the car into the garage this morning as whe n Istarted her up she was struggling to keep the revs and actually died at one point. This has been doing it all week but had never conked out!
So as I needed a full service, I took her in and asked them to take a look. Also asked them to check the CVs and ARBs.
Went back tonight, but car is still in there. CVs and ARBs need replacing :( And once again, the car ticked over fine for them! As they have it over night, I'm sure it will play up on first startup.

So all this plus a full service will now cost me somewhere in the region of £200-300 :(
Not bad concidering I've only had the car a week tomorrow, oh and a new tyre!

I'm hoping that once these issues are resolved, I can relax and get down to really enjoying the car :)

jonnyabraxus

Cheers dude.
I've only had mine for just over a week and i get the feeling its gonna cost me a fair few more ££'s!!! its due a service end of next month but im gonna try get it in this weekend. Fingers crossed its nothing too serious.Thanks for the help guys

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise