Metallic rattle when reversing after a long drive

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Got home for work last night (30min drive), and when I went to reverse on to/up my drive, I noticed a loud metallic rattle/jingling.....

Rolled forward again, no noise....
Reverse, rattling....

Had a look underneath but can't see anything hanging down etc.

When I got in the car this morning (i.e. cold car) I tried reversing, with no noise.

Will have a listen when I get in the car this evening after work when the car is cold, and see if there is a noise, and then again when I get home when the car is hot.....

My suspicion is that it is a heatsheild on the exhaust that is getting hot, and then vibrating.... but I can't understand when it's only when I reverse :confused:

NorthernMonkey2

Andy,

Its only a thought but on a transverse engine when you put it in reverse does it "tilt" the opposite way to forwards or move significantly? Would only take a nudge to push it against a shield.

I suggest it as my wifes Picasso engine moves quite considerably, not sure about the Alty.

Otherwise poss loose exhaust baffle or duff engine mount :confused:

Good excuse to spend a Saturday morning having a tinker.
If you find it let us know, always useful.

NorthernMonkey2

Good stuff

I've got a dashboard rattle - wonder if it'll also go now I've said it on here........

SeatCupraNet heals all!

:funk:

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Chippings......

Have they been re-coating the roads near you - seems as if loose chippings can get in somewhere (brakes, exhaust - don't know) and make it sound like the death rattle of an old car. Stop, reverse a bit (presumably they fall out?) and all's well. Happened three times to me (and once to a very worried wife!!) so far and each time there were recent chippings on the roads used.

Could be something else but sounds quite horrendous when it's there - but goes away just as easily.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.