MK1 Leon GT2x Build - thats it folks

jamiebennett81

I don't see how a stiffer DV spring would help. If it's fitted in the normal configuration boost pressure acts on the side of the piston rather than underneath. I've had mine up to 30psi on the forge green spring.

If you have dirt and crud in this area on the front of the block you may have a split pipe. Your configuration may be different to mine, but worth checking.

Breather_Pipe_Boost_Leak01_640x480.jpg

Breather_Pipe_Boost_Leak02_640x480.jpg

Breather_Pipe_Boost_Leak03_640x480.jpg

I lost some boost through the leak.

finally got a free weekend, so will have a look on sunday, cheers

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
indeed, lesson learnt, its a $hit turbo, but could not swap the whole kit, so had to flog a dead horse so to speak:(

agreed, money spent could have got a similar priced kit but ALOT more power, but we live and learn I guess, it will do for now, disappointing results :(

when it goes I will be going gt28/30 etc

it may have been a difficult journey but you know heaps more than when you started.
modding is a little like life. its the journey not the destination that really matters.
onwards and upwards mate;)

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Personally I haven't found the GT2X too bad, it's NOT a big turbo but I was able to race and beat an Impreza STi so it held it's own in that respect. It's better now it's been rebuilt but yes, I wish I had gone for the larger ball-bearing GTRS in the first place. I wouldn't say above 280bhp were disappointing results either, BUT ... ATP's quality sucks, a blown turbo and cracked manifold after only maybe 5k miles is very poor.

Looking forward to INA's GT28RS kit which I will most likely go for (or GT2871R + rods!).

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
0.63 a/r, GT2871R on my Octy now as of last night.... wheelspin in 2nd in the wet (its 4wd remember) so its aint to shabby. Quicker than the POS shite that had been put on there before hand. fecking abysmal spec that unit was. 0.82 a/r, cracked exhaust housing across wastegate (small but signs of blow by there), no wonder it was so laggy! far far nicer car now.. foot down, and it goes.. not waiting for Xmas to come before it spools. 6th gear now pulls nice @ motorway speeds and is usable.

Bigger is NOT better folks. forget the big bhp "claims" some 'tuners' make. Its a crok of ****. How it drives is the only really important thing.

meaningfull start to pull from 2500rpm, and full on mid 3krpm now (was 5500rpm!)

Do it once, do it right, and dont get suckered into big bhp claims

jamiebennett81

Personally I haven't found the GT2X too bad, it's NOT a big turbo but I was able to race and beat an Impreza STi so it held it's own in that respect. It's better now it's been rebuilt but yes, I wish I had gone for the larger ball-bearing GTRS in the first place. I wouldn't say above 280bhp were disappointing results either, BUT ... ATP's quality sucks, a blown turbo and cracked manifold after only maybe 5k miles is very poor.

Looking forward to INA's GT28RS kit which I will most likely go for (or GT2871R + rods!).

I was driving it to work this morning, and starting to hate it now. before I put it down to the car not being sorted/working properly, but now it is, all I can say is I am very disappointed

I wished I had saved myself a shed load of cash, and just remapped my k03s now, and probably the "on the road" difference will be very little. Would like to see it up against my mates k03s'd Ibiza, and I would imagine there will be no difference at all

turbo is laggy, lazy and when it does spool it does not seem to be that punchy or quick, a complete waste of money for all the time and effort that has gone into putting it right and getting to this stage

I can't even recall the original reason why I went for this kit now, it's abismal. It has been highlighted by the issues suffered with the manifold coming loose, but it's poor fitting, offers poor power compared to the cost of the kit, you could get a lot more power and quicker spool from a GT28 variation

I am half tempted to get it all ripped out and start again and get the job done properly, and once off. Most of the kit is already in place i.e. injectors, FMIC, induction etc and go for rods etc with 350bhp+

I was driving to work this morning and was getting quite annoyed, the power just isn't there

my advice - if anyone is considering going down this route, dont! the kit after alot of testing is a load $hite:cry:[:@]

and I think that concludes this build thread, not much more left to really improve on or build regarding the gt2x setup, if you can call it a setup

if anyone has any further questions, then please pm me, as this thread is now closed..............

beattie17

Apr 12, 2005
Perth
Ave had nothing but great success from my gt2x, was a piece o p*ss to fit both turbo and manifold. Done 20k miles on mine including 100's of 1/4mile runs and trip over to nurburgring, also power is loads better than ko3s as ive proven a few times against other ibizas with ko3s's. Maybe i was just lucky, i dunno

sorry thats not what you want to hear.

p.s mine only made 262bhp and 265lb/ft

G12MO X

Jul 21, 2007
0.63 a/r, GT2871R on my Octy now as of last night.... wheelspin in 2nd in the wet (its 4wd remember) so its aint to shabby. Quicker than the POS shite that had been put on there before hand. fecking abysmal spec that unit was. 0.82 a/r, cracked exhaust housing across wastegate (small but signs of blow by there), no wonder it was so laggy! far far nicer car now.. foot down, and it goes.. not waiting for Xmas to come before it spools. 6th gear now pulls nice @ motorway speeds and is usable.

Bigger is NOT better folks. forget the big bhp "claims" some 'tuners' make. Its a crok of ****. How it drives is the only really important thing.

meaningfull start to pull from 2500rpm, and full on mid 3krpm now (was 5500rpm!)

Do it once, do it right, and dont get suckered into big bhp claims

Funny that , I had a backdraft 400 kit (gone now) that came with gt2871R .82 A/R and it was the same nothing till 5K+ then all happened, After swaping hot side for .64 A/R it came on boost loads earlier and was a lot better drive.

caveo

It takes alot of balls to admit that something you've spent sooo much time , effort AND cash on is "SH!T" so respect for that mate , but dont loose all hope mate , remember the k03s ran out of puff at 5000rpm and im sure yours pulls harder.
I went from stage 2 k03s ( 230bhp ish ) to IHI ( 320 ish ) and although i initaly miss the "lazy" power of the k03s i cant argue with the was it pulls all the way to red line BUT at a cost of 5000 was it worth the few seconds quicker i am now??? The jury is still out , but thats tuning.
Some say if you want a fast car , buy one . But we'd only do the same with that lol!!!
What mani do you have ? and what other turbo options do you have that will bolt stright on?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Hmmm ... can't say I feel the same as you Jamie, I've been quite happy with mine - moreso now it's been rebuilt by CRT. Blasting down country lanes is alot of fun, it pulls hard and feels good and is pretty darn quick, when it was first fitted it made 281bhp and 309lbft at 1.3 BAR of boost, since the rebuild and now running 1.5 BAR it's definately more than that!

Shame you feel that way Jamie. Perhaps your mapping is way off?

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

It takes alot of balls to admit that something you've spent sooo much time , effort AND cash on is "SH!T" so respect for that mate , but dont loose all hope mate , remember the k03s ran out of puff at 5000rpm and im sure yours pulls harder.
I went from stage 2 k03s ( 230bhp ish ) to IHI ( 320 ish ) and although i initaly miss the "lazy" power of the k03s i cant argue with the was it pulls all the way to red line BUT at a cost of 5000 was it worth the few seconds quicker i am now??? The jury is still out , but thats tuning.
Some say if you want a fast car , buy one . But we'd only do the same with that lol!!!
What mani do you have ? and what other turbo options do you have that will bolt stright on?

thanks mate - hindsight is a wonderful thing, but then if I had not of gone down this path, I would not have learnt half as much as what I know about turbo's now and how important it is to match the correct components, and in essence this knowledge and making this mistake has helped me realise what is a better put together kit i.e. GT2871

currently running the JBS tubular manifold.

Hmmm ... can't say I feel the same as you Jamie, I've been quite happy with mine - moreso now it's been rebuilt by CRT. Blasting down country lanes is alot of fun, it pulls hard and feels good and is pretty darn quick, when it was first fitted it made 281bhp and 309lbft at 1.3 BAR of boost, since the rebuild and now running 1.5 BAR it's definately more than that!

Shame you feel that way Jamie. Perhaps your mapping is way off?

I dont know to be honest Rob, maybe it is a less aggressive map, who knows, but I think what the turbo is at now is pretty much near its limit and does not have any more puff in Bills words, so adding more boost would just leave it to run out of puff sooner

I think the most annoying factor here, and again hindsight is a wonderful aspect, is for the same money could have been spent on a GT2871 with similar spool times but much more power (all be it the extra cost of internals)

to be honest I dont think I did anything wrong, i researched the product and from what I read and from peoples opinions it seemed the right decision at the time....but then thats always the case untill the error or mistake happens

maybe I was expecting a lot more or had my expectations too high from the kit and should have been more realistic - i dont know, and it's annoying me as I can't put my finger on it at the moment

I have already started saving for the next stage and have asked Bill how much it would cost for a GT2871 package to be put together, and hopefully this time next year, I will be in a place to take the next step, or possibly bigger

so I will have to live with the kit for now and drive it as it is.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Jamie,

It's a shame you feel like this but you can't change that.
If I were you and wanted more power I would go for more than your aiming for.
As you said the GT2871r will give you more but the extra cash your spending will not be reflected in the extra power.
Could you not take the car back to PT and get them to feck with the map again to see if they can extract more out of the set up now that the 'problems' are sorted.
OR
Could Bill not do you another map to re write the PT one?

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
OMG...the remap is perfect, the turbo is at its complete limit on that set up

More boost than its running now = heavy tail off at top end and short life on that turbo!

i am pretty sure Bill would have highlighted this when checking the car over.

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

How much has this cost you in total, Jamie?

I fear to think Dave, in terms of fixing the parts that went wrong....... enough money if I had gone the GT28 and internals route thats for sure;)

Jamie,

As you said the GT2871r will give you more but the extra cash your spending will not be reflected in the extra power.
Could you not take the car back to PT and get them to feck with the map again to see if they can extract more out of the set up now that the 'problems' are sorted.
OR

No Bill stated the turbo is at its maximum now......so adding more boost will simply kill it or power wont be held till the red line

as said in a previous post, its flogging a dead horse now

More boost than its running now = heavy tail off at top end and short life on that turbo!

nothing wrong at all with the map Will, smooth and progressive and allowing for power to be held to the redline @ 1.1bar, as said, no point adding more boost or it will kill the turbo and power will tail off way too quickly

Bill stated the same as well Will:)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Jamie,

OR

trust me, the gt2871r I have just fitted to the octy if in tonys leon would rip the **** out of the gt2x on there. no comparison.

maybe its this particular unit, likely its being hampered by its intake pipework.. pressure ratio losses on intake multiply back out on delivered boost. before throwing the towel in i would contemplate this, BUT, its extra ££ and time, and it will be minimal gains.

save ya money, get a proper BT

If wanting more punch and delivery, on the same setup, the hybrid K03s/K04 type units with RS6 internals would deliver far more punch and power with better spool. Retaining the downpipe and manifold he has. :think:

just a thought. not BT, just bigger little T :)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

The map is ok. logged fine (and safe), request not being met is turbo seems incapable of getting there. I dialed in some more timing (6 degrees) as it ran no CF's at all on the higher boost. logs show it can just about get to 1.5bar briefly, then sit at 1.4, tapering to 1.2 on the top end of the revs. n75, mbc, 1bar actuator and it will have none of it.

horse flogging dead a <<-- rearrange as required.

request and actual boost were met after forge actuator added, and some preload applied. very high duty cycles tho. mbc levelled this off and gave slightly more 'punch' and boost with slightly less taper.

GT2x is not a unit to bother with.
they are not spritely turbo's... go for an RS6 K04 hybrid in a K03s package, it will delivery more bang for buck thats for sure.

:thumbup:

jamiebennett81

does anyone know the name or part numbers for these pipes please as I want to order them today, and describing them to the Seat parts department is not working

Breather_Pipe_Boost_Leak01_640x480.jpg

Breather_Pipe_Boost_Leak02_640x480.jpg

Breather_Pipe_Boost_Leak03_640x480.jpg

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Just buy some heater pipe and make your own PCV section.

Blank off the connection under the mani and run the oil housing conenction up to the cam cover then out to a catch tank. Simple.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.