MK1 Leon GT2x Build - thats it folks

jamiebennett81

well I have just about ****ing had it with the car

swapping over the MAF would be a 2 min job, 2 minute job my ass!!

I got the security torx screwdriver, took off the original screws, great, picked up the new MAF, would the screwdriver fit, would it ****

the screws are completely different on the new MAF

the old ones are 6 point, and the new ones are 5 point, both with the security nipple in the middle

having lost my temper, one bolt is ****ed now and I cant see anyway of getting it out

so now I am going to have to cancel Bills, waste another £80 on a MAF, drive off boost for god knows how much longer. I am sick to death of this whole car, that the simplest of jobs just turns into a nightmare and big expense, all because of two bolts[:@][:@][:@]

Last edited by a moderator:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
gently drill the heads off the old screws if they're butchered.

slowly slowly so not to shake it to death

jamiebennett81

Why didn't you just re-use the bolts out of the older one mate? Or would they not fit?

no, I took the bolts out of the one on the car, came off fine - 6 point bolts with nipple in the middle - no problem

I then went to take the new MAF out if it's housing, as remember they are both the same MAF, but the one Seat supplied me is out of the smaller housing, so I just need to take out the element in the new one and put in my current housing (3" housing)

however the bolts on the New element are completely different to my current one - 5 point bolts with nipple in, so I couldnt even get them out!!!

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Can you not just pop down to halfords in the morning and pick up the right type/size tool just so you dont have to cancel will Bill?

If not just do what m0rk said. All you need to do is drill the head off the bolt,i t will work fine, just take your time.

dsrr

Oct 23, 2004
Jamie,

I have taken the element out of 3 mafs over two cars without the security bits, as they are screwed into the plastic housing it is quite easy to get a grip with a pair of pliars on the outside of the screws and undo them that way...try it you might find it saves you buying a new maf!

jamiebennett81

Jamie,

I have taken the element out of 3 mafs over two cars without the security bits, as they are screwed into the plastic housing it is quite easy to get a grip with a pair of pliars on the outside of the screws and undo them that way...try it you might find it saves you buying a new maf!

tried that, did not work at all, they are on very tight!:cry:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Patients Jamie my friend, the end is in sight.
Is it possible to refit the original and drive to Bill's, i'm sure Bill will have the tools to change them over.

jamiebennett81

Patients Jamie my friend, the end is in sight.
Is it possible to refit the original and drive to Bill's, i'm sure Bill will have the tools to change them over.

yep, original is fitted, and driving like **** as before

will have to limp it to bills

jamiebennett81

well im just going to leave it till Bills, or it will get thrown across the garage which then completely **** it up

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I used mole grips on mine, a small pair just grip the ridge of the screw head. That way, you just need to worry about turning and not gripping at the same time.

Definitely not woth cancelling Bills for this mate. there are plenty of ways to do it.