MK1 Leon GT2x Build - thats it folks

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Bill will know what's happening after his diagnostics.

Must admit that my APR'd car doesn't pop or throw out flames (to my knowledge)

Take it easy until it's sorted.

jamiebennett81

well we arrived at Bills this morning at 10:30am

nice new garage Bill has got, and I know for sure with his reputation he is going to do very well. I will sure travel the distance for other jobs to be done :D

so, anyway.....

first thing Bill did was pressure test the pipework around the N75 and actuator....and it was not holding it and was leaking some where

it ended up being a pipe onto the actuator I believe which was not tight enough, so Bill tightened this and it then seemed to hold

Bill then pressure tested the actuator and it was only holding 0.9bar which it should have been holding at least 1.0bar....

next job was to do some logging and out on the road

1st road test:

It was only boosting at 0.9bar and pulling about 125mgs (if thats right) for air flow which was very very low

came back, looked at the MAF and then changed it over for a different one (2nd hand MAF)

2nd road test:

boosting slightly better about 1.1 and was reading about 165mgs

so we are improving slightly here with each stage

back into the garage we go and the Bill then adjusted the actuator as much as he could but he could only adjust it to a point and no further (about 3-4 turns I believe)

3rd road test:

car was instantly boosting better, and now meeting requested boost at 1.3 bar and air reading was about the same....so we are still low on the air reading...

we eventually finished about 4ish and the car has definitely improved. It is pulling a lot harder through the gears and there is certianly more urgency with the turbo spooling

I will be back at Bills in 2 weeks time - Bill is ordering a new Forge Actuator and I am buying a new MAF as it seems slightly iffy

just to say so far, a massive thanks to Bill, very welcoming and we chatted for ages between each stage of the car cooling down so Bill could get his hands down the engine bay

great guy, and I certianly fills you with every bit of confidence your car is in very safe hands

so......happy days and we might finally be reaching the level the turbo is supposed to be running at

certianly the car has been feeling quicker and quicker on the way back and still there is another 0.1-0.2 of sustained boost to get from her:D

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Starting to get there then Jamie. Sounds like you had/have a couple of things leading to your boost not meeting the requested. Is there no more adjustment in the actuator left? How did CR Turbos modify it?

Glad Bill is sorting you out. He really does offer a top class service and is worthy of all the praise he gets from not only customers but others he helps and gives advice to on here and elsewhere. Businesses like Badger5 are few and far between but because of that they dont need lots of flashy publicity as word of mouth is the best advertising you can get.

jamiebennett81

Starting to get there then Jamie. Sounds like you had/have a couple of things leading to your boost not meeting the requested. Is there no more adjustment in the actuator left? How did CR Turbos modify it?

Glad Bill is sorting you out. He really does offer a top class service and is worthy of all the praise he gets from not only customers but others he helps and gives advice to on here and elsewhere. Businesses like Badger5 are few and far between but because of that they dont need lots of flashy publicity as word of mouth is the best advertising you can get.

yes as Bill said certianly a number of aspects which have and still are accumalating to the request for boost not being met

MAF is definitely not working as it should as the car is over fueling and mpg has dropped off (along with the low air reading) it was filthy when we pulled it out

nope, no more adjustment left in the actuator....Bill commented they have crimped the end of it for some reason (CR Turbo's that is) and he could not wind it any further:blink:

Rob's gt2x holds 1bar as standard easily when pressure tested and mine is struggling, which would suggest the reason for it not meeting and holding the requested boost as the actuator cant hold its own - it's nice to see someone who has actually managed to carry out some proper fault testing of my car!!!

I look forward to the final result in two weeks time and what the final bhp result will be, although not too fussed about figures, its how it drives, and right now its driving pretty well (touch wood:D)

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Must have been a duff actuator from day one from ATP, mine hasn't changed at all since CR Turbos had my turbo and their rep. is second to none. Sounds like it will all come good with a new MAF and actuator though, good work from Bill. I think my MAF isn't 100% either.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Just a small correction to the diagnosis.. the actuator is a 9psi one when tested, not 0.9bar.. so the deficit in request vs actual is related to the preloaded actuator.
Initially the pressure test showed a leak, and a couple of loose pipes to the N75, which would'bt have helped things, so actuator to N75 pipe was replaced with a new section of silicon pipe. ends done up tight, re-tested with the pump and held ok.

The actuator rod looks like it has been crimped at some point, so winding it undone was a 'mare of a job. and the thread bottomed out after only 3 to 4 difficult turns. :cry: The actuator as set had no preload tho.. :no: which is not a good setting. :think:

timing pull was minimal, boost rose from an initial 1900mb on a request of 2350mb to a post adjusted 2300mb against request. Not quite holding it, and duty cycle pegged at 95.3% max'd

Airflow as said was pretty dire at only 123g/s first logs. Swapped for a.n.other MAF I had around of same part number and these rose to 168g/s. but still cr4p for a GT2x. I have GT2x logs on an ibiza running 190g/s from only slightly more boost. I cleaned the original sensor, reinstalled it for the journey home. new one will fix things in that dept. (and reduce the popping from the exhaust, which on the day was'nt much at all)

A higher preload actuator will be got from Forge, and the next visit I will remove the old actuator bracket and modify it for the forge actuator. We will then see what it can do as duty cycles will plummet then, and requests will be achieved.

Nice to meet you and Damian yesterday - I think we're getting to the bottom of it tho. :thumbup:

(had a fiddle with my ibiza after and got its part throttle overfueling dialed out when revving it.. - 'smokin' - :D )

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Must have been a duff actuator from day one from ATP, mine hasn't changed at all since CR Turbos had my turbo and their rep. is second to none. Sounds like it will all come good with a new MAF and actuator though, good work from Bill. I think my MAF isn't 100% either.

I think the difference here Rob is you sent yours as is to CR and they reworked it, but tonys was an ATP unit with as as-supplied ATP actuator.

You run forge actuator now as previously I think you needed to up its actuator pressure to achieve boost also? (memory fades as to why you wanted or needed to change), but this does makes sense seeing as this is the underlying issue with Tonys car.

Did you get the forge actuator with a mounting bracket? or did you have to modify the original one? - seeing as I will need to do the same.

thanks
bill

jamiebennett81

Just a small correction to the diagnosis.. the actuator is a 9psi one when tested, not 0.9bar.. so the deficit in request vs actual is related to the preloaded actuator.
Initially the pressure test showed a leak, and a couple of loose pipes to the N75, which would'bt have helped things, so actuator to N75 pipe was replaced with a new section of silicon pipe. ends done up tight, re-tested with the pump and held ok.

The actuator rod looks like it has been crimped at some point, so winding it undone was a 'mare of a job. and the thread bottomed out after only 3 to 4 difficult turns. :cry: The actuator as set had no preload tho.. :no: which is not a good setting. :think:

timing pull was minimal, boost rose from an initial 1900mb on a request of 2350mb to a post adjusted 2300mb against request. Not quite holding it, and duty cycle pegged at 95.3% max'd

Airflow as said was pretty dire at only 123g/s first logs. Swapped for a.n.other MAF I had around of same part number and these rose to 168g/s. but still cr4p for a GT2x. I have GT2x logs on an ibiza running 190g/s from only slightly more boost. I cleaned the original sensor, reinstalled it for the journey home. new one will fix things in that dept. (and reduce the popping from the exhaust, which on the day was'nt much at all)

A higher preload actuator will be got from Forge, and the next visit I will remove the old actuator bracket and modify it for the forge actuator. We will then see what it can do as duty cycles will plummet then, and requests will be achieved.

Nice to meet you and Damian yesterday - I think we're getting to the bottom of it tho. :thumbup:

(had a fiddle with my ibiza after and got its part throttle overfueling dialed out when revving it.. - 'smokin' - :D )

oopps, sorry, thanks Bill for the more "accurate" description:D

what amazes me, and what a work colleague has just said to me is why this was not all diagnosed from the start?:blink: with the intial install/setup etc

anyhow, we are getting there and i cant wait till 2 weeks time for the revisit, and hopefully getting to 1.4/1.5 bar, as even with the small increase of 0.2bar that Bill got out of it, it has made quite a nice difference:)

Bill the different actuator was not the standard ATP one, it was one that CR Turbo's fitted themselves along with the hybrid treatment....so not sure what one they fitted or why indeed they crimped the ends!:blink:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
glad its sorting out for you mate... been a long road. nothing better than having confidence in your car and tuner , you can relax a bit now.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
oopps, sorry, thanks Bill for the more "accurate" description:D

what amazes me, and what a work colleague has just said to me is why this was not all diagnosed from the start?:blink: with the intial install/setup etc

anyhow, we are getting there and i cant wait till 2 weeks time for the revisit, and hopefully getting to 1.4/1.5 bar, as even with the small increase of 0.2bar that Bill got out of it, it has made quite a nice difference:)

Bill the different actuator was not the standard ATP one, it was one that CR Turbo's fitted themselves along with the hybrid treatment....so not sure what one they fitted or why indeed they crimped the ends!:blink:

Just a thought then, but is it worth asking them if they have a 1bar version of the same actuator as a bolt on replacement?

jamiebennett81

Mine isn't a Forge actuator, it's the original one that was on the turbo from day one.

and there lyes the problem

CR Turbo's have fitted an actuator with too softer spring in it!

Bill is calling them, as when I was trying to explain the issue to them....it was not going very well, so Bill is better placed to offer them a more technical explanation on what was carried out in regards to fault finding and what the solution will be

Hopefully CR Turbo's can supply another actuator FOC (seeing as they changed it and caused the lack of boost) instead of buying a Forge one and having to modify it

I will wait to hear from Bill:)

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
How strange. You'd think that if a company is asked to rebuild a turbo they would refit the original actuator or replace with one of a similar pressure.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
personally I check actuator pressure frequently on customer cars.. hence buying the kit to do so a long time back. same pump forge use to check their products with. good enough for them :p

loose leaky pipes also, so no one thing. its been apart a couple of times so far so.. who knows.

no preload on the actuator tho, which is poor practice imho. insufficient preload and static pressure spring as we have seen, and "the" difference between tony's and Robs fundermentally. (sorry rob, i thought you had a forge actuator fitted. my bad)

i tried calling mark @ CR but he was busy, another guy took my number to call back but I have'nt had the call and been buried in meetings all day so not had time to chase him either. will bell him tomorrow (am) - tony, you will have to run the foc angle when i have spoken to him. I will just confirm what and why with him. i will bell you as soon as I have had that conversation with him. plan (b) is still a forge actuator, which i know works fine (as i have run one for a few years now) - just more work to adapt to your setup/brkt

regards
bill

jamiebennett81

How strange. You'd think that if a company is asked to rebuild a turbo they would refit the original actuator or replace with one of a similar pressure.

common sense would tell you wouldn't it......but from this story or thread so far, we know all too easy the incompetence or mistakes these companies make

perhaps a little too harsh in CR Turbo's case, as they are pretty switched on, but this is an annoying/niggling issue

But how come none of this was picked up originally, why would you map a car that had all these issues???

your guess is as good as mine. I will allow you to draw your own conclusion on that one Rob, in regards to what you have already read concerning my comments on the mapper who carried out the work....:rolleyes:

personally I check actuator pressure frequently on customer cars.. hence buying the kit to do so a long time back. same pump forge use to check their products with. good enough for them :p

loose leaky pipes also, so no one thing. its been apart a couple of times so far so.. who knows.

no preload on the actuator tho, which is poor practice imho. insufficient preload and static pressure spring as we have seen, and "the" difference between tony's and Robs fundermentally. (sorry rob, i thought you had a forge actuator fitted. my bad)

i tried calling mark @ CR but he was busy, another guy took my number to call back but I have'nt had the call and been buried in meetings all day so not had time to chase him either. will bell him tomorrow (am) - tony, you will have to run the foc angle when i have spoken to him. I will just confirm what and why with him. i will bell you as soon as I have had that conversation with him. plan (b) is still a forge actuator, which i know works fine (as i have run one for a few years now) - just more work to adapt to your setup/brkt

regards
bill

:clap: thanks Bill

no worries about the FOC angle, I will happily take that matter up with them:D - I will also ask how they compared the two actuators when swapping them over i.e. spring stiffness etc and replaced like for like

clearly they could not have been as it should be a 1bar actuator as standard but clearly its not when tested @ 9psi

if you can't get hold of anyone Bill, please let me know and I will make sure they drop you a call to discuss the issue;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.