Mk2 2.0 8v GTi cutting out...

martin16v

hi all, my car runs very well, however once hot it start fekkin about..... it will just die! wether iam driving along or sat at a junction!! I have looked at all the usuall suspects but on inspection it has already had the following... Coil, Leads, Cap, Rotor Arm, Temp Sender, Cambelt, Plugs.... so to be honest i dont know where to start!! plz help guys...

martin16v

more on the symptons..... if driving along it will just miss and then comtinue to run, once it has actually died completely, but then fires up on the key?, sometimes it takes a couple cranks to get it starting again? and when this fault happens the fuel pump relay starts to click like mad just as it starts to mess about?.... doesnt matter if iam driving like mrs daisy or raggin it... help...

martin16v

ok..... so removed the throttle body and yes!! lots of gunk!! so toothbrush & carb cleaner at the ready... all shiney and clean !! so out for a test drive..... and the problem is still there!!!!!

Would a crank sensor show up as a fault on diagnostics? also i have no warning lights on my dash? unpluged my maf and the problem still happens exactly the same....

anymore ideas guys.... have checked ALL the earths, have tried another coil, have relaced the plugs!

*Lou*

Princess Lou Lou
Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh
www.bebo.com
Strange as it sounds, it could be your ECU. I know its a totally different car manufacturer, but I had a corsa for my first car, and the car was fine when it was cold, but as soon as the engine was hot the car cut out and then wouldnt start again.

I took the car to Vauxhall and they told me I needed a new ECU as it was cutting out as it thought the car was getting too hot even though it was at normal temperature. So got one, got it all recoded, and the car was fine again...

Like I said, I know its a totally different car, but it could be worth getting it checked out :)

Hope this helps x

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Strange as it sounds, it could be your ECU. I know its a totally different car manufacturer, but I had a corsa for my first car, and the car was fine when it was cold, but as soon as the engine was hot the car cut out and then wouldnt start again.

I took the car to Vauxhall and they told me I needed a new ECU as it was cutting out as it thought the car was getting too hot even though it was at normal temperature. So got one, got it all recoded, and the car was fine again...

Like I said, I know its a totally different car, but it could be worth getting it checked out :)

Hope this helps x

That sounds to me like a dodgy temperature sensor not the ecu anyway.

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
my 8v has had coil & crank sensor replaced, both times no running problems.
coil packed in whilst out, parked up then non starter.
crank sensor went after parking car up for 6 weeks, wouldn't fire at all.
before replacing either i'd be checking all the wiring, connections etc as it seems that the components themselves just suddenly die

martin16v

ok.... plugged it onto diagnostics this morning........

00525 -- Lambda Probe - No Signal.

00520 -- Air Mass/Flow - Open Short circuit To Earth

00537 -- Lambda Control - Lower Stop Value

so looks like i may be needing a lambda probe and an air mass meter!! any one got an airmass meter for sale? lol