MK2 Ibiza / Cordoba Pedal box replacement

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
A big thank-you to Alpinewhite for actually making the guide, i just put it into more simplistic form and also Fl@pper

Useful part numbers

S6K2721335H Clutch Cable £27.62
S1H0721169A Bracket £3.33
S411417549 Shear Bolt £1.82 ea, x2 = £3.64
S6K2721115D Bracket £62.38

Net £96.97
VAT £17.97
Total £113.94

1. Access to the pedals

remove the driver's side glovebox (just pull it upwards and outwards) and the plastic tray underneath it. It's held in by two screws (arrowed).

DSCF2238.jpg

take out the driver's seat. It's only held in by one bolt at the front after which point it lifts out.

2. Remove the steering wheel

Firstly the airbag has to come out (the battery must be disconnected for this). It's held together by two allen head screws at the back of the wheel.

DSCF2240.jpg

Once these are undone the airbag unit is loose. It comes away from the steering wheel but there's an electrical connector which just pulls out. The airbag should be stored with the padded side up, according to the manual.

At this point the steering wheel nut (24mm) must be removed. Also, there was another connector from the airbag that has to be unclipped. This was hidden in some foam padding:

DSCF2244.jpg

3. Remove the stalks

There are three black screws which hold the stalks on. Then, make sure all the connectors are undone - i kept finding more of them! Once they are undone the stalks just slide off the steering column and you will be left with something like this:

DSCF2249.jpg

4. Remove the steering column

At the base of the steering column is a rubber guard, held in by two plastic nuts. Take these out:

DSCF2250.jpg

You'll then have clear access to a plate with two nuts on it. Undo these, being careful not to drop them into the hole where the steering column disappears into....

DSCF2251.jpg

Once the nuts are undone, the plate comes away with the two bolts.

5. remove the shear bolts that hold the steering column frame in

Shear bolts are now out. I tried the method of driving them around with a chisel but it wasn't working for me. I ended up using a dremel to cut the heads off. The washers then fall out with a knock and the rest of the bolt is very easy to remove.

Then the steering colum will drop down, but I couldn't remove it completely because of the wires going up into the column.

Last edited:

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
6. Remove the brake shaft from the pedal

The Haynes manual talks about a special tool fabricated from an exhaust bracket, so this should be interesting!!

Stuck with getting the pedals off the pedal box itself. It's only a retaining clip that needs to come off but it's got me foxed.

DSCF2261.jpg

on the one in the pic, try lifting the left hand side of it (away from the shaft) and then slide the clip towards you away from the pedal box.
Got that one off, next is the brake pedal. It's another retaining clip:

DSCF2262.jpg

Not a great photo I know.

The pedal box was also stopped by a little plastic tie that tidies up the wiring - shown below. This can be pushed out with fingers or a screwdriver.

DSCF2266.jpg

7. Box removal

The pedal box can, as written elsewhere, be removed without taking off the brake pedal connector. I carefully pulled the brake pedal through the large hole in the pedal box.

And it's out

DSCF2271.jpg

Side by side with the new pedal box:

DSCF2269.jpg

Note that the design is the same, except for the tab that holds those wired mentioned earlier in this post. I'll have the new pedal box reinforced before putting the new one in.

Failures on the main body:

DSCF2272.jpg

The 'bolt hole' is from where i'd previously bolted the two parts together.

And the corresponding bit that broke off!

DSCF2273.jpg

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
8. Pedal Box Reinforcing

As supplied by SEAT

From above:

DSCF2237.jpg

From below:

DSCF2234.jpg

As modified

From above:

DSCF2276.jpg

From below:

DSCF2277.jpg

9. Clutch Over-Centre Spring

1. Position the pedal end of the spring onto the pedal
2. Use an open-ended spanner (I used 12mm) to compress it slightly and push it up the metal wall towards the pedal box. It will get stuck in a gap between the two.
3. Use a screwdriver to lever the spring end onto the pedal box. By positioning the end of the screwdriver on the pedal box, it almost acts as a rail when you pull on the screwdriver.

The correct orientation is shown below:

DSCF2295.jpg

10. New shear bolts in

DSCF2296.jpg

And all back together, except for the plastic cowling:

DSCF2297.jpg

A big thank-you to Alpinewhite for actually making the guide, i just put it into more simplistic form and also Fl@pper

Last edited:

jibs666

Love my car man
Oct 25, 2009
Basingstoke
as an extra note: i managed to do it without removing the steering column and thus didnt fight the shear bolts... you may also be able to too

i am doing this now but the steering column is in my way how did you manage to do it without fighting shear bolts

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
did mine as well without removing shear bolts.
i pulled the uni joint out of steering column ( single bolt i think?), watch for spring falling out & orientation, this gave me enough room to get pedalbox around & back in.
this may not work if you don't have an adjustable stering column though

charless

Thanks to Alpine white as well. a big help.
Hi from NZ. I have been removing my friends Cordoba pedal box.
I found it better to take the steering column out. Instead of grinding the sheer bolts off I drilled the centre and used an eze out. As long as you drill straight, the bolts come out quite easily. Also the bolt is quite easy to drill.
My question is,...I wish to remove the brake pedal. I have pushed in each side of the clip but the pedal still wont come free.... is there a trick to it.? If I forcefully remove the pedal am I at risk of damaging the brake servo?

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Hi guys, realise this thread is fairly old, but, whats the best way to remove the brake shaft pin/ and the nut that is behind the right of the steering column? much help, more advice would be appreciated. As i havent opted to remove the steering column.

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
I'll admit im really new to fiddling about with the pedal box and all of that, umm the best way i can explain this would be the pin that retains the brake and clutch pedal, which goes through the pedal box.

Would it help if i could take a picture? If so, i'll have to get my post's up so i can post some pics.

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Forgot to say thankyou ;) All the help you can give will be much appreciated, as im trying to do this on a budget and in a rush because my beeza is a daily runner to and from college.

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
Thanks for that ibiza_95 really appreciated, looks like there are a few bits on that exploded diagram that i might lose :| Again thanks for that im gonna give it a shot tomorrow got work in a bit, hope you don't mind me asking for any more help along the way? I think ive reached my 15 post's aswell so I will be uploading a pic of my beeza soon :D Thanks alot

Mk2Ibiza

Aug 31, 2010
Middlesex
This is what i thought was causing my clutch problems...

100_2085.jpg

This is my beeza guys....

Seat1.jpg

IMG00084-20100901-1901.jpg

HOWEVER ITS MY PEDAL BOX...PICTURES TO FOLLOW

vngtx

that clutch has loads left compared to my old one. although even with my pedal box gone the car still drives perfectly and pedals are all equal height.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise