Mk2 Toledo - Suspension Question

dizzydiesel

Hi All,

I've pondered replacing my 2001 Toledo TDI (110) now with 170k on the clock. I've decided against trading it in as it's worthless according to the dealer. It's never put a foot wrong for me....bar the MAF.

Anyway, I'm going to spend a few quid to get it new again. I want to replace the suspension with stock parts (not interested in lowering or making it too stiff)

I drive mostly on motorway and primary routes at 50-60mph, so I'm in the market for comfort rather than preformance.

My questions:
Assuming all the suspension bushes are now shot, what parts do I need to replace?
Do I need to replace the springs also? (I can't find them for sale or a part number for them)

My plan is to replace the following....
1. Wishbones (control arms)
2. Ball joints
3. Shocks
4. Control arm mount bush
5. Bumpstops
6. Boots

Do I need to do the springs too? Where will I find the part number or supplier? AVS don't have springs.

All feedback and advise is welcome! :D

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Springs will usually run till they snap.... with no adverse effect on handling

Get it into a good garage to see what needs doing rather than just replace everything for the hell of it, and keep the money you were going to spend on the suspension to one side for unforeseen stuff - how's the exhaust looking 8yrs on ?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
As TIIEWL says, springs very rarely affect the suspension behaviour. They do compress over time, but you're talking maybe an inch of travel over time? Certainly nothing thats worth replacing them for.

As for the rest;

1. Wishbones (control arms). Only replace them if they're physically damaged, or the bushes aren't replaceable. Its the bushes that will be old, but I know most garages don't bother replacing the bushes as its easier to just replace the entire arm.

2. Ball joints. Again, only if they're physically damaged, but that would be an MOT failure anyway.

3. Shocks. Definitely replace, five years is good for a shock so after eight years you'll definitely notice the difference.

4. Control arm mount bush. Yes replace, but as for 1, it might be cheaper to replace the entire arm with the bushes attached.

5. Bumpstops. Nope, bumpstops are there as a 'just in case' and will more than likely be completely untouched.

6. Boots. I'm assuming you mean CV boots? If they aren't leaking, leave them alone.

To bring your suspension back to life, dampers are the best first step, followed by bushes. But in my 2001 V5 (110K miles), I don't get any of the vague feeling that comes from worn bushes, so I'm not convinced you'll need to change yours.

I'm tempted to do a damper swap for something a little stiffer, but I'm the same as you with most of my commute being motorways and A roads.

If you really want to wake your car up, treat it to a luxury valet inside and out. That more than anything will make it feel like a new car.

dizzydiesel

Springs will usually run till they snap.... with no adverse effect on handling

Get it into a good garage to see what needs doing rather than just replace everything for the hell of it, and keep the money you were going to spend on the suspension to one side for unforeseen stuff - how's the exhaust looking 8yrs on ?

Thanks for the advise.
Haven't looked at the exhaust yet. :cry:

dizzydiesel

As TIIEWL says, springs very rarely affect the suspension behaviour. They do compress over time, but you're talking maybe an inch of travel over time? Certainly nothing thats worth replacing them for.

As for the rest;

1. Wishbones (control arms). Only replace them if they're physically damaged, or the bushes aren't replaceable. Its the bushes that will be old, but I know most garages don't bother replacing the bushes as its easier to just replace the entire arm.

2. Ball joints. Again, only if they're physically damaged, but that would be an MOT failure anyway.

3. Shocks. Definitely replace, five years is good for a shock so after eight years you'll definitely notice the difference.

4. Control arm mount bush. Yes replace, but as for 1, it might be cheaper to replace the entire arm with the bushes attached.

5. Bumpstops. Nope, bumpstops are there as a 'just in case' and will more than likely be completely untouched.

6. Boots. I'm assuming you mean CV boots? If they aren't leaking, leave them alone.

To bring your suspension back to life, dampers are the best first step, followed by bushes. But in my 2001 V5 (110K miles), I don't get any of the vague feeling that comes from worn bushes, so I'm not convinced you'll need to change yours.

I'm tempted to do a damper swap for something a little stiffer, but I'm the same as you with most of my commute being motorways and A roads.

If you really want to wake your car up, treat it to a luxury valet inside and out. That more than anything will make it feel like a new car.

Great advise dude.
I totally agree with the last point.....I keep my car clean (inside and out)
I've recently joined detailingworld.co.uk and purchased some great products to clean the old girl up. She looks great.....that's why I don't want to sell her

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise