MK3 SEAT Leon CUPRA's owner's register

Which Leon Cupra version do you own?

• Total voters
Apr 15, 2009
Wolverhampton
It was very bad with the vxr. Owners were having the whole car resprayed under warranty. Poor quality paint plus 20" wheels with soft tyres! The sides were covered in chips, not just one or two. Literally hundreds. Puts you off driving it hard as you can hear the stones rattling around the wheel arches.
I had this on my R26 horrible it was. Something the Leon never suffered with.

arreruk

Mar 15, 2014
Was on my list at one point. However, I wasn't all that taken with the interior so didn't bother test driving one. There are some very big discounts to be had on them though. Got to be worth a look.

My MK3 ST3 is a really good motor TBH. The only reason I'm looking to trade it in is that I really want to get back to a DSG box.

Test drove the VXR and whilst it was nice (nice enough for me to put a deposit down) all the subsequent things I read about stone chips, replacement gearboxes, notchy gear change, unbelievably short lived brake discs, noisy diff, blah blah blah.... I cancelled my order.

Had the Cupra been available when I was looking to change cars then the Focus wouldn't have got a look in. However, it's a good drive, well equipped and suits my needs and with the great deals available, certainly worth a look. But I reckon if you drive the Cupra first, all other bets will be off :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lawto48

Aug 26, 2013
Don't think Seat will be a lot better for paint quality / stone chips to be honest. Our Mk2 doesn't look too bad because I am meticulous about touching stone chips up as they appear. The biggest annoyance is the plastic parts are black and show up really badly on a white car.

Best approach to avoiding stone chips is to hang back from the traffic. Not always easy, I admit.

It was very bad with the vxr. Owners were having the whole car resprayed under warranty. Poor quality paint plus 20" wheels with soft tyres! The sides were covered in chips, not just one or two. Literally hundreds. Puts you off driving it hard as you can hear the stones rattling around the wheel arches.

Think the main issues with the VXR was that the front wings were sticking out a millimetre and that was throwing stuff up the sides - think they have resolved that now. My son has a VXR and its a really nice looking car and the interior especially the seats with leather are spot on. I had a test drive in a Cupra at Stoke Seat and would have one if I could afford it. Thought it was very understated in that it didn't vary too much in looks from the FR but I like that.

Talking of paint issues I have a Mk3 1.8tsi FR Leon and its done just 3000 miles in 6 months and there are numerous stone chips on the front end - also had 3 Audi's and they were the same. Must say though that I love the Leon and don't regret having it - the 1.8 is a lovely engine.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I ordered Black paint as it don't stone chip as bad (had a Ibiza for over a year in this colour, no chips) and tested the touchup paint on the back of a door and it matches great, not like the emocion red I had before.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
The buckets are only in black/grey leather and it is an extra £500 over the standard leather.
He is gonna double check about the all black and give me a bell tomorrow.

seat-leon-cupra-2014-23.jpg

Mar 13, 2011
The quality in the leather in the mk2 was terrible. I won't be ordering it again in the mk3.

I thought the same. Normally a big fan of leather, but sat in a FR in showroom with leather trim and it really didn't seem great to me, unfortunately. On the plus side the standard alcantara is great. I'm not sure about the white bolsters but the material itself is very nice indeed.

On an unrelated note, my dad picked up his new Guilietta yesterday and it has alcantara interior too (he was debating leather as well). However, he now thinks he made the right choice and I have to agree as the interior is fantastic. Never really given alcantara a second glance for past cars, but I think I'm a convert. Certainly a step up from the flimsy textile material in the Mk2.

Nick

Jun 24, 2001
Coventry, UK
Visit site
I've gone through the same route for mine. Order went in a week ago and I have a provisional build date of week 18.

So you may not have to wait as long as you think. :D

Just had confirmation they are building mine this week (week 18) as planned.
Still around 4 weeks for delivery though.

Moonhead

Apr 3, 2014
Stoke-on-Trent
Got a phone call Monday saying mine hasn't got a build week yet. Been told it will be a 2015 MY and should have a confirmed build week very soon. All this waiting is killing me!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2011
Our Mk2 has just been picked up. Very sad to see it go :cry:

On the plus side the Mk3 is being built this week and I hope it isn't 4 weeks until deliver (as Nick says).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members