MK4 Suspension Advise

Ting

Apr 28, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
Hi guys

I've just recently fitted some new alloys, and when I got the tyres put on them the mechanic noticed my front driver side spring has the end snapped off. Basically at the end of the spring its supposed to curl round back on itself, making a circle but now its just a semi circle and its very sharp :help:

So my next step is looking into getting new springs and shocks all round, as I was thinking about doing it one day anyway. The garage quoted me about 80 quid to get it repaired but I realise that its probably a bad price.

All I want to know is your opinions on what's a good drop to get on the mk4's while still being drivable over speed bumps fairly easily etc. Do you think 30mm is good enough on a standard Ibiza (not cupra I mean) and is it worth paying a little extra for adjustable shocks? I made my decision that I DON'T want coilovers by the way.. (I'd never get the height changed)

This is my ride height at the moment.

DSCF0470.jpg

I've noticed the back is higher than the front, I'm guessing due to the weight of the engine.
Would I need to get different springs on the front than the back to level this out?

Also, which company would offer the best cost / value ratio based on your own experiences?

Thanks!

BKR

TorqueDefinesIntelligence
Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby
basicaly its personal choice as to which make you go with

for £80 you could by brand new lowering springs and just use the standard shocks while still have the car useable for going over speed humps

Ting

Apr 28, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
Hmm

Damien, if I was to get springs now then get shocks when I've got more money are there any options you would suggest? I've read in various posts that its important to get shocks and springs which work well together.

If I got the Eibach springs would the Koni FSD shocks be a good combo?

Thanks

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Yeah if you were going for the Eibach springs then I'd say match them with the Koni FSD's and if you go for the Weitec springs then match them with the Weitec dampers.

Hope this helps.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Ting

Apr 28, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
fancy selling me your wheels ? :D

I only just put them on last Monday! :p

Is the only way of sorting out the height difference of the rear end by getting coilovers? I can't find springs which are lower at the back than the front, only the opposite, which is the eibachs.. If I got the Weitec springs, as they will be firmer would this mean the 30mm all round lowering would be similar on the back as the front would be?

Ting

Apr 28, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
I've got a few more questions to ask

Can I use Spax springs (30mm or 45mm) with Koni FSD dampers? Or can you use any springs with any dampers, except they might not work as well as sets built for each other? I would get the Eibach springs but they only lower by 25mm at the back which isn't really what I want..

Also, does anyone know the maximum amount you can lower a mk4 with coilovers/springs without any rubbing in the wheel arches and still road usable for average size speed bumps etc? I've searched for hours but its so vague most of the time

Thanks

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Yeah you'll be able to use pretty much any make of spring with the Koni FSD's but they are best matched with around a 30mm drop.

Damian @ DPM Performance

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise