My car is over heating BIG TIME!!!! HELP!!!

mikey_b

May 18, 2008
Manchester
Hi folks well i was driving along and all a sudden the temp rised from 90 degrees to 100+ degrees then i parked up and switched engine off...:blink:
i checked the top radiator pipe it was hot as it had water flowing through it when i checked the pipe coming from the bottom it was cold like there was no water init...im confused!! Is there a way to bleed the radiator or any ideas!!!

Thanks

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
mate when you stop but leave the engine running does the temp drop ?? if so soulds like ya water pump.... ive just had the same and now im looking at over £950 in repairs.....

mikey_b

May 18, 2008
Manchester
mate when you stop but leave the engine running does the temp drop ?? if so soulds like ya water pump.... ive just had the same and now im looking at over £950 in repairs.....

no mate temp just wants to rise and the bottom pipe is still cold!!!

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
mine was doing the same top hose red hot and bottom hose cold but i did find that my thermostat was fooked so i changed that but my water pump was fooked and may have done the HG in aswell. when its hot/over heating is the water in the expansion bottle boiling away ???

mikey_b

May 18, 2008
Manchester
mine was doing the same top hose red hot and bottom hose cold but i did find that my thermostat was fooked so i changed that but my water pump was fooked and may have done the HG in aswell. when its hot/over heating is the water in the expansion bottle boiling away ???

Erm.. no it dosnt only when you open the cap slightly to let the pressure out...

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
im thinking air lock or water pump ! to check water pump remove thermostat put finger in hole and feel to the left handside and feel the pump. but its more likley to be water pump. also have you checked to see if the fans are kicking in when they should do ???

mikey_b

May 18, 2008
Manchester
im thinking air lock or water pump ! to check water pump remove thermostat put finger in hole and feel to the left handside and feel the pump. but its more likley to be water pump. also have you checked to see if the fans are kicking in when they should do ???

i will try it in morning mate and thanks for the help and will try 2 get back 2 u...

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
Nice to see you passing on your newly found knowledge Meltonlad.Have sussed out what your going to do yet?
As for original thread, sounds like an air lock or thermostat but i would put my money on the thermostat staying shut. As meltonlad said if its the water pump you could let the car idle and the temp would stay normal or drop back to normal. Try taking thermostat out and put in boiling water and see if it opens. There seems to be alot of this happening to people on here recently, myself included.

andy_w

Hope its the thermostat it sounds like it. I overheating is constant then indicates thermostat. Just done my water pump lastnight started at 6:00 finished at 10:30 pig of a job but only cost me £33 for pump and anti freeze so i am quite happy.

robcool

still singing in the rain
Sep 4, 2008
retford
sounds to me that the thermo stat has gone!!! what miles have you done? has a cam belt been done and did they change the water pump?

robcool

Sep 4, 2008
retford
might just be the thermo stat then mate should be hard to change think its just down on the right hand side of the engine.

robcool

Sep 4, 2008
retford
it chould be one of the reason for your over heating thermostat opens then the engine is hot to circulate the hot water around the block and over parts of the engine/
The water pump is a main part of the coolant system but don't no if the is a hole in the bottom of the leon water pump which are on some water pump which will leak abit of coolant when they are on the way out?
To test the thermostat remove it and put in boiling water it should open if not it ****ed.
Them fan module relay things are a common thing to go on golf not should about leons,

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.