Need MAF - East london

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
Anyone near east london willing to let me use their maf -

Would you believe it, spent ages trying to find a boost leak, turns out the maf might be knackered - reading to high -

and the bloody thing was new...well about 5 months old - going to take it back to dealer - anyone know if its a case of asking them to change it over, or they going to do some tests....

I assume there is a years warrenty on these.

cheers

p34ch3y

tastefully modified
Oct 17, 2005
cambs
m8 know what u mean ive had mine on bout 3 weeks from jabba sport n i think it may be gone already...god the mafs are so crap[:@]

andycupra

status subject to change
unplug the maf, does it run better?

maf is exchange basis at dealers, about £85.
Dealers are not really capable of checking them, they seem only able to know when its totally dead, not 'playing up'.

its easy to change it over yourself.
not sure about warranty, as if its not dead they will say its ok not broke!

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
yea it was unplugged and car was boosting properly - when its plugged in, kept giving me a 17965 posistive deviation and limp mode -

turn car off, unplug, then start driving - you will get the traction control light come on - and you can only clear this with VAG COM

andycupra

status subject to change
before i go on, you really need to say what the issue is. you say you have been looking for a boost leak. why? it is running slow? stuttering? whats up?

as for maf:
unplug it, with engine off. not sure it matters. then start it up.
there will be a light on the dash, (the traction control light).

go for drive.
traction control wont work now.
the engine will use different readings to run off, but may well be a bit down on power as it will run safer settings.
does it feel better? if it does, it may well point to the maf. but its by no means a guarantee.

afterwards, just plug it back in with ignition off.

CupraPower

Jan 29, 2004
Woking, Surrey
Visit site
Taken from Vagcom site:

17965/P1557/005463 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation

Possible Symptoms
Reduced power output
Limp mode

Possible Causes
Boost Pressure too High
Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
Charger Pressure Control defective
VNT (variable nozzle turbo): nozzles stuck
Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective

Possible Solutions

Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)
Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
Check / Clean mechanism for variable nozzles

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
when my maf was knackered, i unplugged it and it made no difference whatsoever........fitted the new one and hey presto........sorted the problem.

I dont see how unplugging it helps to be fair??

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
Mine was reading to high, so when car was measuring boost levels, it could never meet the value it was reading at the maf - so car went in to limp mode assuming there was a loss of air somewhere(air leak)

Well thats my theory, will have to try another maf just to make sure it is that.

Strange though, i would have thought unpluggin it would have made a difference.... strange things these cars!

cheers

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise