New Cupra R

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
Il be first in line, keep thinking about buying another cupra (facelift) but if this is truly coming soon, il wait for this.

Kinda confused though, most current cupras put out 260BHP+ anyways, so claiming 265BHP on paper for the R version doesnt get me too excited, but uprated brakes etc etc might just do it lol, although i hope in reality it puts out 280BHP+

webhype

Mar 30, 2008
Wakefield
www.8baller.co.uk
are you mad?

I hope they go "copa" on its ass lol. I like the Cupra Copa they did...shame that never came over here.

2916481111_1c4596e6c2.jpg

2843193703_c12c0cb084.jpg

Seat_Leon_Copa_Edition_48085c344099b.jpg

Now i know its just the aero kit but with the exterior and interior stripes etc it really gives it that "R" look... its got the 280 BHP i was hoping for, 18inch wheels...niiiiiice..

Last edited:

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
Because they think it will sell nicely? Easy bit of money to be made at the end of the mk2 life cycle.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The price of this will be interesting, as will the exact spec and price. I am willing to bet it will probably have the regular Cupra kit when it leaves Spain, and it will be dressed in the usual Aero Kit for the UK when it comes in to the country, like the K1 was (and possibly the nasty stripes).

Shame they are taking it in so late in the MK2's life. I am not sure that I would want a top line car thats going to be old hat within months and lose a fortune in to the process, not after the fortune I have lost in the Cupra I already have.

DJHotspur

If true talk about alienating their customers.
Seat say they won't be releasing a Cupra 'R' so people go out and buy the Cupra.
They then decide to release an 'R' :(
If i had of known that i would have held off and waited for the 'R' and i'm betting a lot of people would have too.

^^^... but isn't that always what happens with product lifecycles? The company can't preview their whole product roadmap, or it would destroy sales of their current lineup. It's the same with mobile phones, clothes, pretty much anything that has new products with the same essential functionality but with improvements over the previous generation.

As you say, you'd have held off buying your Cupra if you knew this was coming... which is exactly why Seat couldn't have told you that it was coming, I reckon. :confused:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
If true talk about alienating their customers.
Seat say they won't be releasing a Cupra 'R' so people go out and buy the Cupra.
They then decide to release an 'R' :(
If i had of known that i would have held off and waited for the 'R' and i'm betting a lot of people would have too.

I did wait for the Cupra R and am now glad I did.

I believe that good marketing, PR, honesty and positive customer relations would serve SEAT well. In my opinion and experience, none of it is up to the standard it could and should be.

I can understand possible reasons why SEAT UK kept the R quiet, ie to sell more Cupras in the interim period, but I would be seriously pissed if I bought a Cupra then found out an R was to come out just after I got a new Cupra (poor marketing and PR as mentioned before).

Having thought long and hard about it though, with the AP brakes, DSG, S3 intercooler and no doubt the Aero kit (which would instantly put me off buying one), its going to list at at least £22k I would think, and knowing what happens to old model cars when their replacements come along, its perhaps not one I would be willing to buy as I have lost at leasty £6k in 2 years on my 07 Cupra.

If only SEAT had come clean about it ages ago like Ford did ith the RS, and it had come out now with the Cupra.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Always wondered if they would bring out the R in the end. Just a shame they can't improve on the look of the Mk2 at the same time. The Mk1 LCR just has a very aggressive stance that the new Mk2 can't match IMO.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Always wondered if they would bring out the R in the end. Just a shame they can't improve on the look of the Mk2 at the same time. The Mk1 LCR just has a very aggressive stance that the new Mk2 can't match IMO.

Agreed. However a proper body kit would address this.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Hopefully. Aggressive bumpers, splitters, spoliers and sill covers would help. Definately needs a 4-pot brake upgrade too. No chance for the MPV-like shape to be changed I imagine...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Hopefully. Aggressive bumpers, splitters, spoliers and sill covers would help. Definately needs a 4-pot brake upgrade too. No chance for the MPV-like shape to be changed I imagine...

To be fair, the brakes on the MK2 Leon Cupra are superior to the Brembos in the MK1 Leon Cupra R. However, an improvement over the MK2 Leon Cupra brakes would be welcome.

No chance the MPV shape will be changed, but it isnt that bad with the skirts and spoiler on it.

Last edited: