No Drive after thud from front end, something gearbox but not sure, help!

elviscat

Jun 11, 2007
Bristol, UK
Hi all,

LCR 05 Cupra R, 133000miles, BAM engine, 02M front part of part number underneath box.

Driving along no more than 30mph, not changing gear, just chilled driving. Heard a thud from the front end through the car, i dipped the clutch straight away, checked the engine was ok. but when i brought the clutch pedal up no drive. I coasted to the kerb. Clutch pedal works as normal, I can select gears, but when i bring the clutch pedal to bite, the engine tone dips as the friction plate grabs but no movement. Had to be towed back on a bar, driveshafts are fine and running fine, diff is working fine as went around bends roundabouts etc no problem. No oil leak, no smell, no holes in cast, no rattling or random sounds at any point aside from the thud.

I've disconnected everything and loosened gearbox bolts and it's ready to get out tomorrow, drive shafts all ok.

I don't know what to expect if it was DMF failure, does this sound like DMF failure as what i've read is more rattling when DMF fails! how will I know if the DMF has failed in comparison to the new one, and would this cause these symptoms?

Can anyone suggest what else to look or test for? Any ideas, or suggestions, or if anyone has been something that sounds similar ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
DMF start to rattle then fail.. as Thai says sound like clutch failure... I would more go towards clutch plate expoding. I never seen a pressure plate fail. Only loose pressure due to over heating . Can't be bearing as it would still drive . Am interested in the answers when you pull it apart

elviscat

Jun 11, 2007
Bristol, UK
Thanks for the replies, I forgot to ask can anyone recommend a clutch alignment tool that works with these, preferably something i might be able to get hold of tomorrow!
(if I'm lucky)

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Halfords or your local car spares shoo will sell one.
Screenshot_20201010-211619_Samsung Internet.jpg

Very easy to use and sold every where.

Reactions: elviscat

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Or do it by eye. Lightly tighten 3 (at say12,4,and 8 oclock positions)of the bolts so the cover slightly grabs the friction plate. Then move the centre plate to the central point with a long 3/8 extension or long screwdriver.
Good to go.
DMFs fail but never heard of one lose drive altogether. Usually just cause clutch pedal and or cabin shake/vibration.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
If you're on 133k and your original clutch and DMF you've done well.
They can go at any time, even just tootling at 20mph. Usually clutch goes first, but you'll need a new DMF anyway.
I hope you have £850!

elviscat

Jun 11, 2007
Bristol, UK
Looks like Differential is in bits, took off one of the driveshaft flanges to get the box out, and by the time the box was out there was nothing for the allen key bolt to go back into through the flange, looking into the diff there seems to be some bits rolling around on their own.!! a mate is saying my as well get a recon box.
Any recommends?

elviscat

Jun 11, 2007
Bristol, UK
DMF and clutch are ok btw, although i have new ones to replace. I was thinking of getting quotes of Gloucester Road Gearboxes for a rebuild, any thoughts?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Thai might have a box laying about. He breaks a lot of leons
I don't have any out at the moment unfortunately.
I'm getting another LCR in for breaking tomorrow as it happens but too busy to do anything with it for a little while.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Nizza

May 17, 2019
No but can source one if needed?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk