Popping and banging exhaust thread

I always thought the popping and banging was the unburnt fuel ignighting in the exhaust personally I like it, google focus st and mountune it sounds fantastic. Oh a d pipeworx get very good reviews and I've had a jetex system in the past and it was very well built

Yeah I believe it is uncombusted fuel igniting as it's fired through the exhaust. My car is running rich at the moment and will probably be why I'm getting a lot of the pops etc. I do like it, it's not chavy because chavs can't recreate that noise... they're more into their deep rumbles :)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Years ago pre-Pipewerx Ian Birch (the Dubmeister) used to run a small independent outfit called Dubsport. I had him make up an exhaust system for my Jetta, and it was a quality piece of kit. Initially the Jetta had gone in for a new head, but ended up buying a full 1.9 8v rebore engine, the exhaust and a clutch. Engine was so pokey 2 months later I blew the gearbox apart :whistle:.

I'm in a quandary about exhausts at the moment, I've seen an MV Sport DP/cats for reasonable money which allows you to maintain OEM back section (as it's 2.75" diameter). Then I quite like the Blueflame stuff, and then there is Pipewerx (Quoted a grand to build a system for my car). I have seen some 400bhp+ S3's running OEM cat backs on new DP's and cats with no ill effect, just less tune, so I am tempted to follow this route, save £500 and spend that on an uprated clutch.

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
I'm in a quandary about exhausts at the moment, I've seen an MV Sport DP/cats for reasonable money which allows you to maintain OEM back section (as it's 2.75" diameter). Then I quite like the Blueflame stuff, and then there is Pipewerx (Quoted a grand to build a system for my car). I have seen some 400bhp+ S3's running OEM cat backs on new DP's and cats with no ill effect, just less tune, so I am tempted to follow this route, save £500 and spend that on an uprated clutch.

So the standard system is 2.75" same as the milltek?

If so then could you not just chop the boxes out to make a straight through system, would be ALOT cheaper than a milltek, and also you'd be keeping the standard tail pipe so you will have the OEM look, I know on the AMD race cupra they have a milltek system but they have removed the back box and apparently it sounds awsome,
would this not be the same as removing the boxes on the standard system?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
So the standard system is 2.75" same as the milltek?

If so then could you not just chop the boxes out to make a straight through system, would be ALOT cheaper than a milltek, and also you'd be keeping the standard tail pipe so you will have the OEM look, I know on the AMD race cupra they have a milltek system but they have removed the back box and apparently it sounds awsome,
would this not be the same as removing the boxes on the standard system?

The issue I have is with the bit marked in red on this picture:

d5aa_1_sbl.JPG

I have an MoT in a week, so need a legal system, but this cat is 100 cell and I'm not sure that 100 cell cats are up to MoT. I'm not swapping exhaust sections once a year, so it needs to be a permanent solution.

The restriction is after the cat, and running stage 2 I think my engine is struggling to clear its gases and is backing them up. Want it resolved soon before any potential damage is caused.

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
robjnr,

I think that the standard Cupra exhaust is 2.5 inch diameter. I'm going this saturday to get my middle box cut out and a straight piece of pipe welded in as a stop gap until the funds situation pics up so I can afford a full TBE. I am just doing this to try and get a little bit more noise but keeping the CAT and the back box. I will take pics of the operation when the guy is doing it for me.

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
Take some before and after vids so we can see the difference, also how much is this costing you?

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
My 100 cell cat passed its mot easily last year on my LC and it was 8years old and on 108k.
Just give it a good kickin on the way down to mot place and should be fine if they test it wile its still upto operating temprature

robjnr,

I think that the standard Cupra exhaust is 2.5 inch diameter. I'm going this saturday to get my middle box cut out and a straight piece of pipe welded in as a stop gap until the funds situation pics up so I can afford a full TBE. I am just doing this to try and get a little bit more noise but keeping the CAT and the back box. I will take pics of the operation when the guy is doing it for me.

Cool, please post up a vid of it without the resonator. Anyone who's removed the resonator what's the sound like when under normal driving? Not obtrusive in cabin is it?

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Will take vids no problem guys, should cost me no more than about £50. I got the idea from the vids of the new Cupra R with Tarquini driving it, in the vid I noticed the Cupra R had a different deeper exhaust note and when I got my mate David off of SERE motors to look up specs for the Cupra R exhaust, it turns out its the same exhaust minus the middle resonator so hopefully this will sound good :D

Will take vids no problem guys, should cost me no more than about £50. I got the idea from the vids of the new Cupra R with Tarquini driving it, in the vid I noticed the Cupra R had a different deeper exhaust note and when I got my mate David off of SERE motors to look up specs for the Cupra R exhaust, it turns out its the same exhaust minus the middle resonator so hopefully this will sound good :D

Got any vids yet DaveysFR?

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
No mate, the guy let me down, got to his workshop on Saturday and he wasn't there [:@]. So I called him and he said he was held up elsewhere.

I went and booked it into a nearby Powerflow Dealer for next Saturday at 9:00am so it WILL be done then.

I have a standard vid I took on Saturday but I will post it once I get the vid with no middle box.

No mate, the guy let me down, got to his workshop on Saturday and he wasn't there [:@]. So I called him and he said he was held up elsewhere.

I went and booked it into a nearby Powerflow Dealer for next Saturday at 9:00am so it WILL be done then.

I have a standard vid I took on Saturday but I will post it once I get the vid with no middle box.

Ahh! gutted mate. Hate those situations. Good luck next weekend!

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Update

UPDATE:

I got the middle box cut out today and a piece of 2.5 inch pipe welded in place. It cost £40 and took the Powerflow dealer about 45 minutes to do.

Below is the pic of the original box after it was removed:
DSC00812.jpg
]

Here is the pipe welded in place:
DSC00814.jpg
]

Here is a link to a video before I had the box removed:
http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u345/DaveysFR/?action=view&current=MOV00788.flv

Here is a video after (excuse my shouting over the top of the video and the dirty car lol):
http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/u345/DaveysFR/?action=view&current=MOV00815.flv

The sound is much more of a loud rip when under load yet still nice and quiet when cruising at motorway speeds. All in all it's a worthwhile mod for the money and a perfect stop gap until I get a full TBE with a decat.

Any questions just ask.

JoshSimpson

The joys of having a diesel, no popping and banging for me!:(

Josh

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.