Power Steering Not Working + Battery Draining Completely (Error code 01309)

aidtheace

May 6, 2014
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi all,

I have a 2011 Seat Ibiza Cupra that has developed a fault with the power steering and battery draining completly.

The yellow steering light is on permanently and I have no power steering at all.
The battery of the car keeps dying if left unran for a day or so. It goes completely flat and wont even try to turn over and central locking also stops. Everything is dead.

I gather something must be draining it but cannot figure out what.

I have put a new battery on the car about 2 months ago.
Iv checked the fused and doesn't appear to be any of those either.

I had my friend scan it on his diagnostics and it came back with the following.

01309 037 - Power Steering Control Module Faulty.

Does this mean its a replacement job? and should I be looking out for the same part numbers on replacements etc.

Any help would be appreciated as the cars MOT is due soon and obviously wont pass as it stands.

Cheers,

Aiden.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
check if the battery voltage is 14v or near 14v when the engine is running, could be a bad alternator.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The trouble could be that if there is a high and constant draining load on that battery, that engine off measurement is not telling too much. To work out if that battery is still okay, you would need to remove the earth lead quickly after switching the engine off.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
So iv checked the battery and got a reading of 14.42V when engine is running and 11.72V when engine is off.
Is that okay @dm222 ?

looks ok

its hard to tell, because the power steering problem could be the problem or just a symptom of a flat battery caused by something else.

you need to take the car to an electrician