prices for mods...

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
right, im looking for my first smallish/cheapish mods for my mk4 1.9 tdi FR and have narrowed it down to the following, (prices are from my 2 nearest seat dealers and include vat)

seat sport strut brace £53.83
PD160 adaptor and hose £76.27
LCR splitter £21.59
cupra handbrake grip, £14.00

however one of them said they would give me a 10% discount...how very nice of them...this would make the total approx 150 quid with discount...do these prices seem a bit high? think the adaptor and hose pipe look very expesnive, have looked on fleabay and a 2nd hand one went for approx 60 quid....is it better to hold out for a 2nd hand one on here or another forum etc...

cheers for help in advance

andycupra

status subject to change
you think brand new is expensive at £76 when second hand ones go for £60 on fleabay?

on that basis the second hand ones are expensive!

for the sake of £15 get a new one. Warranty etc etc.

just realised, with the 10% off you can get, your worrying over just £9 difference for the adapter and hose.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
right, im looking for my first smallish/cheapish mods for my mk4 1.9 tdi FR and have narrowed it down to the following, (prices are from my 2 nearest seat dealers and include vat)

seat sport strut brace £53.83
PD160 adaptor and hose £76.27
LCR splitter £21.59
cupra handbrake grip, £14.00

however one of them said they would give me a 10% discount...how very nice of them...this would make the total approx 150 quid with discount...do these prices seem a bit high? think the adaptor and hose pipe look very expesnive, have looked on fleabay and a 2nd hand one went for approx 60 quid....is it better to hold out for a 2nd hand one on here or another forum etc...

cheers for help in advance

I personally would drop the handbrake grip and Splash out a bit more and get yourself a Whiteline Anti-Roll bar for the Rear £103 but worth every penny!

Markie68

Cars = ££
Jan 15, 2008
Tamworth
I say forget the handbreak grip and adapter and hose and get
either/or/and
1: either rear anti-roll approx £120
2: wheel spacer £80
3: instead of the handbreak cover get the air vent levers they are cheaper

up to you though

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I say forget the handbreak grip and adapter and hose and get
either/or/and
1: either rear anti-roll approx £120
2: wheel spacer £80
3: instead of the handbreak cover get the air vent levers they are cheaper

up to you though

Agreed :D

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England
£9 is £9 though! Better off in your pocket than theirs. Could go towards a nice air freshner or something :D

lol i like how you're moaning about £9 for a decent mod and then say that £9 could go TOWARDS an air freshener?
you're willing to spend MORE THAN £9 on one? :D

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
cheers for comments,
14 quid doesnt bother me on handbrake grip as it looks pretty nice, just was curious over prices of the adapter and hose as it seems a lot for not a look, few people i know said few years back they got it for near 30 quid?? thats some price hike...

in regards to the ARB, is the whiteline one the best? spacers.....these are for the rear correct?

also the air vent levers? what do they look like....as in modification wise..

dannyboy89

i say buy my 17'' black powdercoated alloys off me, if you want :)

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
cheers for comments,
14 quid doesnt bother me on handbrake grip as it looks pretty nice, just was curious over prices of the adapter and hose as it seems a lot for not a look, few people i know said few years back they got it for near 30 quid?? thats some price hike...

in regards to the ARB, is the whiteline one the best? spacers.....these are for the rear correct?

also the air vent levers? what do they look like....as in modification wise..

The whiteline ARB is the cheaper of the lot but its definetly not cheaper quality! i fitted mine and carnt beleive how good it is.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
don't spend that money on the front strut brace...keep a look out and you can pick one up for £30-£35 like me :D

i didn't bother with the handbrake grip as it doesn't really match anything inside...but each to their own. i'd say spend that money on chrome ear lever surrounds around £7 ;)

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
i thought about the chrome surround? is it just 2 parts, one for top and one for bottom? but nothing else is chrome in there, so might look odd...no?

how often to strut braces come up for sale then?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
ok pay day has arrived,

here is what im hoping to order

gear lever surround
cupra handbrake grip
pd160 hose and adaptor
seat sport strut brace

maybe the lcr splitter...not sure yet...

then in future....whiteline ARB, 20mm spacers, 312mm brakes...

anyone know good places to look for spacers and 312mm brakes?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
312mm discs from anywhere, and the calliper carriers crop up on ebay all the time. You can visit a scrappy and get the setup from a Audi TT. There are some other cars that use the same setup but I'm not sure what they are... Some people recommend using the larger callipers too but you can just use your existing callipers with larger carriers.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
ok cheers for that,

looking to upgrade them soon after i have done a few small mods,

seen you have a seat sport brace, was it easy to fit? did you tell the insurance?

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Strut Brace is one of the simpleist mods to fit

On petrols it basically just bolts on using bolts already there

On the TDI'S you have to remove some components to fit it and then put them back

Maximum time it should take is 3o mins and thats if you do it rather slow

Took me 10 Mins on me TDI

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
nice, i got tdi, so i gotta remove a few componenets? did you tell insurance? take there is a fitting guide on here

Fitting is common sense mate. You can offer the strut up to the suspension top mounts and see the two bolts you have to undo on each side. Just make sure the car is securly parked as you don't want the suspension moving around when you have the bolts out! Should be fine on flat ground. Takes no time at all. I am renewing my insurance in a week or two and I will tell them then! I might get a renewal price for some other future mods I'm thinking off ;)

You might have an issue with the strut brace rubbing on the engine cover. Easiest way round it is to remove it all together!

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
yea im gonna order it now along with a few other bits

gonna get green filter too, any ideas on cheap sites? seen it for 35 quid...thats the fabia vrs one but its same part number...not getting pd160 hose and adaptor as its so expesnive, might try get a 2nd hand 1

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
sorry i didn't get back to you earlier mate. The chrome surrounds is just top and bottom but doesn't look odd at all...smartens the interior up a LOT, the plastic looks very cheap in comparison.

as to strut brace fitting on a tdi, it's simple. theres a box with a few cables in the top left that needs to be lifted as you fit it, this also loosens the engine water cylinder. but the strut brace bolts straight on and is a 15 minute job.

as for insurance, i haven't told mine bout any of my mods ;) keep checking the for sale section and the bay for strut brace

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members