Rattle from drivers side when idle!

estie

Since buying this car, I have loved and hated it.

This has just started without any alterations or anything being done to the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ3MZIPgZJE

the video shows how when idle it has a strange dull rattle, but the moment the revs increase it disappears. The rattle sounds like something is knocking.

Please be kind enough to leave me your experiences or advice. Looks like im in for yet another journey to my dealers. Which is not a pleasing experience as I have nothing good to say about them!

AM i really beginning to regret spending my money out on this beautiful nightmare.:headhurt:

estie

i have read that maybe it could be the fuel lines, but most posts say about the fuel lines being on the passenger side. I hope it is something very simple as a loose nut or something of that nature!

tackleberry83

Mar 24, 2008
surbiton surrey
I vote for engine cover I think seat invented them more to piss drivers off that do anything constructive.

Hope you get it sorted mate cause that'd drive me round the bend (pardon the punn)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Ive got a similar rattle only on idle, or on very low revs, but its a bit more high picthec and seems to be coming from under the steering wheel area. been there about a year, driving me mad!

estie

Ive got a similar rattle only on idle, or on very low revs, but its a bit more high picthec and seems to be coming from under the steering wheel area. been there about a year, driving me mad!

sounds similar to this, this sounds like its under the steering wheel.

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
yea same for me.

do you still have the engine cover on?

i was playing around this morning and the heat sheild on the engine cover is very close to the engine shield under it.

might be this.

lee

Nah i've got induction kit on. Its quite difficult to pinpoint exactly where its coming from. Seems to be around the gearstick, handbrake area. But also around the footwell on drivers side. Once revved or just generally moving the rattle is gone. I've kinda attributed it to the fact of my carpark where i live is gravel. So might be a loose stone. But who knows. Every time i take it into Seat the noise magically disappears.

Although, the one time it did rattle and i was over at the service centre. The tecchie came out and was leaving the handbrake on whilst bringing the clutch to biting point. He seemed to know what the problem was. Problem being, i was pushed for time, and the next time the car went in, no-one had any recollection of it [:@]

Still, she goes in AGAIN on saturday :ban:

We'll see what develops from that lol

Paul197

MK2 Cupra
Oct 27, 2010
Mildenhall, Suffolk
i had a rattle which i traced to the under car shields if that what they are called ? took both sides off and there was all sorts in them ! cleaned them up put them back on and min was gone i think it was a stone

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
yes that's the ones. i first thought my rattle was from behind the dash then i followed it by ear to the floor

This is what i believe to be the cause as the car is otherwise sound.

Also as mentioned, i have a gravel carpark so likely that some stones will get trapped

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members