Rear camera falls out…

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Had my "investigation", the Dealer Motorvogue in Northampton has looked at the missing camera and is claiming that someone must has reversed into th car at some unknown point in time and knocked it off and are refusing to replace under warranty. How was SEAT UK contacted to replace the camera under warranty? This is a motability vehicle so this would be another 9 months until it's due for replacement.

I have pointed out the existence of this thread to the dealer and reports from around the world not just the UK. They cannot explain how the camera was knocked off with no visible damage to any other part of the car or bumper when it's mounted under the damn thing. This is the missing camera

. View attachment 37709

This is an intact camera in the dealer's car park.

View attachment 37710
I'm sure there is an internal document advising about the part issue from the supplier. Obviously, SEAT just ignores that even if the supplier will reimburse the cost. Pile of nonsense in the UK market especially with the franchise that is running here. o_O

Reactions: Seriously?

Seatboi

Apr 13, 2023
Is this issue occurring on brand new (2023 models) or is the issue part on the models a few years older ? Just intrigued if its across all ages or if it's been fixed on brand new ones (hopefully for anyone getting one new !).

Jul 24, 2023
Mine's a 2021 model 12k miles, I believe that whatever they are using to fix the cameras in place is failing after a couple of years, one poster did lose their's when power washing, another person has had a couple fall off so it may be rough roads. I have my leasing agent trying to raise this with SEAT UK because the dealer "someone must have hit it" excuse on a vehicle in a private car park etc... where the rear bumper sticks out further than the camera mount and there's no damage, is rather annoying.

I'd avoid this model like the plague, I've had exactly the same electronics issues as others and more on top,
  • my car frequently calls SEAT UK when it's parked up to tell them it's been involved in a serious accident,
  • I once got stuck in a dodgy area for 20 minutes after hitting cancel many times for the OTA update that told me the vehicle would not work if I started the update and then it did it all by itself,
  • had the car alarm go off at 30 mph for no reason,
  • had the screens blank out entirely, phoned the dealer, they told me how to reset it by holding my finger in the bottom left corner for 30 secs, this worked,
  • when I take the car in with video and photos of the parking sensors failing every time the temperature drops to 4 degrees,
  • when the heated seats have turned on at random,
  • when the GPS fails (both the built in one and the connection to android) going through Newbury by a particular phone mast, and more, and with the person who told me to that reset the screens sitting there, I'm told that a master Technician can find nothing in the car logs.
To me the obvious conclusion is that the logging of faults is also not working, but still they won't accept that there's a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20230801_175051014.jpg
    IMG_20230801_175051014.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 104

Seatboi

Apr 13, 2023
Just to give a little update on new Leons, it looks like Seat have added the rear view camera to the SE, FR and FR Sport models from around June time. I'd assume they've fixed the issue with them falling out otherwise they'll have every version of the Leon coming back in ! Must be a 2020/2021 defect ?

Jul 24, 2023
I have no idea, I paid extra for mine in 2021 and SEAT is refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem and have refused to repair it under warranty claiming that persons unknown knocked the camera off even though there is no indication of the car having any damage other than the missing camera. Currently I'm in a stalemate.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Today the camera was replaced. Not calibrated as apparently don't need it. 🫣 Checked with obdeleven showing error code no basic settings 😐 I have no word for UK franchise service garage, honestly shambles.

Software number: 5WA980556D
Software version: 0344
Hardware number: 5WA980556B
Hardware version: H30

Jul 24, 2023
The end of my story is that after disputing the dealer's opinion that someone had hit my car and knocked the camera off, (and there being no marks on the car body work etc...) they then changed their story to "some must have nicked it, claim on your insurance, that'll be £600+VAT", since my car is on motability leasing and I wanted my no claims bonus, the car is not repaired and won't be. I wouldn't recommend a car from motorvogue northampton ever, the car had the frequently mentioned electric niggles from new, which is not their fault, but the general attitude of "not my problem" has been prevalent throughout the 2 1/4 years of owning the car.

Today the camera was replaced. Not calibrated as apparently don't need it. 🫣 Checked with obdeleven showing error code no basic settings 😐 I have no word for UK franchise service garage, honestly shambles.

Software number: 5WA980556D
Software version: 0344
Hardware number: 5WA980556B
Hardware version: H30
Sounds like the dealer doesn't have the necessary calibration equipment - at over £3k I can't necessary blame them

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KoNG and PhilipSEAT
Feb 1, 2024
Hi,
My rear camera lens fell out yesterday after closing the cars tailgate. I searched online to see if anyone else had had this problem to then find this forum. My car is a mk 4 Leon etsi 2020 and I bought it as a used car nearly 7 months ago so I'm thinking it's not going to be covered by any warranty still. I have phoned seat and booked it in to be looked at still, which they said will be in early March. I was just wondering if it's not going to be fixed by them then has anyone else just stuck the lens back in by themselves and did it work fine again if you did?

DeinsB

Dec 6, 2021
Latvia
Hi,
My rear camera lens fell out yesterday after closing the cars tailgate. I searched online to see if anyone else had had this problem to then find this forum. My car is a mk 4 Leon etsi 2020 and I bought it as a used car nearly 7 months ago so I'm thinking it's not going to be covered by any warranty still. I have phoned seat and booked it in to be looked at still, which they said will be in early March. I was just wondering if it's not going to be fixed by them then has anyone else just stuck the lens back in by themselves and did it work fine again if you did?
Hi! It is super common problem to 2020 and early 2021 MY. Not sure what is you warranty time but in Latvia it is 5years or 100k km. In 60k km run I had this problem twice. Both times changed by warranty. So if your car still has warranty. Contact dealer and they should change it on their own charge. No costs should be applied to you. As across EU we have the same warranty rules. Maybe for GB has something different since Brexit. Wish you luck and hope any infotainment bugs wont happen. ❤️
As for putting back, by yourself, not sure you will get any good image quality as the lens should be calibrated- atleast that said my dealership in LV.

Feb 1, 2024
Thanks DeinsB

Fingers crossed then that it is still under the warranty, thanks also for the heads up that putting back myself probably won't work clear. I'll keep updates on here once I've been to see Seat in March. As for infotainment problems I've not experienced any yet. I did however have a engine management light come on the other week after filling my car up at the fuel station. I took the car to my local garage who put it on there diagnostic equipment and it had a code to do with the fuel supply. The garage cleared the code and the engine management light hasn't come on since so hopefully that isn't a sign of future problems but only time will tell I guess.

Hi,
If you stick it on yourself, it'll just fog up

If you can't get the dealer to sort it, we can help - likely for a fraction of the price

Jul 24, 2023
Hi! It is super common problem to 2020 and early 2021 MY. Not sure what is you warranty time but in Latvia it is 5years or 100k km. In 60k km run I had this problem twice. Both times changed by warranty. So if your car still has warranty. Contact dealer and they should change it on their own charge. No costs should be applied to you. As across EU we have the same warranty rules. Maybe for GB has something different since Brexit. Wish you luck and hope any infotainment bugs wont happen. ❤️
As for putting back, by yourself, not sure you will get any good image quality as the lens should be calibrated- atleast that said my dealership in LV.
Do you have any documentation for your warranty repair, mine still not fixed because I'm in the UK and they just claim the camera was stolen. Any documents may help me put pressure on the dealership. Thank you.

2Pedals

Sep 8, 2021
Had my camera fall out (again when simply closing the boot).
Fortunately I found the lens assembly (the bit that fell out). Potentially this could be glued back in, but Seat obviously advise against this (something, something calibration, something, something water ingress). The car was 2 months out of warranty, so Seat washed their hands, the dealership simply looked uncomfortable being the messenger of bad news and claimed to offer a reduced cost replacement (trust me, it is not cheap).
If Seat won't honour as warranty, I'd explore third party (as poster above promoted)
Fair to say, I won't be touching another Seat again, or VAG car for that fact (shame as I used to drive Skoda's before this car)