Seat Ibiza GTI Cupra 2.0 16v passenger door lock and also brakes

justin8260

Hi there,

I’m a newbee here, so hello all :)

I’ve just bought a Seat Ibiza GTI Cupra 2.0 16v and there are a few issues with it that I need to resolve:

The brakes veer to the left under hard braking. I’ve checked all callipers/pistons/pads/discs – all now ok. Does anyone know if these cars have a rear brake bias valve or anything similar that could be causing it and if so where is it located?

The remote central locking & normal central locking do not work (though sometimes when I push down the passenger pin the central locking system makes a low pitched whining noise whereby I think it locks the tailgate), which I have realised I'm prob going to have to just suffer.

However more importantly the passenger door outer lock barrel is now broken. It was turning 360degrees and so after unscrewing the screw - the one on the side of the door that you have to open the door to get to and take a black plastic cap off to inspect, its now in pieces. It came out and pretty much disintegrated. The barrel is now sitting in my house because I thought it would probably fall out if I left it in the door.

So there are the 3 issues:

*Passenger door outer barrel needs replaced - this is my priority.
- how should I go about fixing this? New barrel for the passenger door from either scrapyard or Seat and just get a basic key cut to fit the passenger door if I ever need to unlock/lock from outside? and just lock it from inside from now on? Which might be a task in itself because the pin that sticks up from the door panel seems to be permanently stuck down!

*Central locking not working

*Veering to left under hard braking

Has anyone got any ideas??

Many thanks,

Justin

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
if you can hear the central locking pump working thats a good sign at least... check at the doors both on the inside of the car and on the inside of the doors, that the vacuum lines are attached and not broken, also check this at the boot and pump... the pump is in the drivers rear quarter behind the door card, i think its wrapped in foam, or covered by foam... seem to remember thee being foam there... its like a thin tube, the central locking works on vacuum and isnt electronic so the system needs to be completely air tight to work properly...

with regards to the passenger door handle, if you can live with a different key for the door, go for the scrapyeard option and try get the keys for thaat car at the same time... or the better option would be to get the rear door handle off a 5dr ibiza or cordoba, and then go for the 'smooth door handle' look

veering to the side of the road could be anything really... car been crashed at all ever, tracking miles out, etc

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
mk4 polo door handles are the same and you can get them on ebay for £7 or a scrappy. Cheap enough anyway.

whats the tyre like on the left, could maybe be a tread issue ?

stinkypete

Aug 22, 2007
Chesterfield
could it be something as simple (but often overlooked) the tyre on one side has less air in it than the other side?
I took my locks apart because drivers one was just spinning - turned out the tumblers inside the barrel had simply corroded a little & all siezed up. I soaked it in WD40 for ages & wiggled the key in the barrel until they eventually started to move. Then used long nosed pliers to pull them out one by one, cleaned them up with wire wool & put it all back together. Sounds simple doesn't it? Took me hours to get it built back up - ended up taking the other lock to bits to see what it all looked like & then had 2 locks in bits. Nightmare, but got it sorted.

justin8260

Cheers very much for now guys. Most helpful. I may need some more expertise over the wknd so might get back to you.

Was also thinking, as Ibiza_95 pointed out if the "smooth door handle look" means you cannot unlock/lock the car from that door, then the question is do I actually need to fix the outer lock on the car, or can I just lock/unlock from inside pin all the time (once/if I manage to get the central locking to work that is).

Another more serious prob has happened since - the oil pressure light is flashing on. Came on when I was driving yesterday, then when starting car up next morning (so I've stopped driving it justnow. I don't think its the actual oil pressure as no loud/unhealthy engine sounds, and when I look in the engine lid, oil is reaching the cams. Figure it must be the sender unit. Any other ideas? could it be an electrical problem?is this a common fault?

Cheers

Justin

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Cheers very much for now guys. Most helpful. I may need some more expertise over the wknd so might get back to you.

Was also thinking, as Ibiza_95 pointed out if the "smooth door handle look" means you cannot unlock/lock the car from that door, then the question is do I actually need to fix the outer lock on the car, or can I just lock/unlock from inside pin all the time (once/if I manage to get the central locking to work that is).

Another more serious prob has happened since - the oil pressure light is flashing on. Came on when I was driving yesterday, then when starting car up next morning (so I've stopped driving it justnow. I don't think its the actual oil pressure as no loud/unhealthy engine sounds, and when I look in the engine lid, oil is reaching the cams. Figure it must be the sender unit. Any other ideas? could it be an electrical problem?is this a common fault?

Cheers

Justin

its possible justin, the spanish were never the best at wiring. On my valver when someone used to slma the door the ABS light use to come on....

have you had it hooked up to a VAG com ?

coulam-gti

same problem here my drivers door wont unlock or lock key wont working the drivers door but will in the passenger side i'm having to climb over now because cant open the drivers door what a ball ache indeed ha

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if you can bleed the brakes do so may reveal a fluid issue

brake hoses are naff at best, googridge has always been a good replacement

the abs units are also known clog up from bad maintenance and can block supply so a blockage to the right maybe cause of the brake issue but with the right security screw bits they can be removed/stripped/cleaned/replaced easily though

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
could also be slider pins on the left side being partially seized?
(or slit in the rubber grommet thing it attaches to, allowing crap in)?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.