Spare/Budget Boost Gauge **Updated With Install & Pics**

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Hi All,

I know alot of people on here want boost gauges or have boost gauges.

Just thought I'd share knowledge that I recently came across, that Halfrauds do a boost gauge, 30 VAC and 30 PSI...for £19.99

I will be getting one as a spare, but if this had been around when I was after a gauge I would of risked the £20 to see what the quality is like, before spending £54 on my Autometer Phantom gauge, which I must say looks very similar, but also needs to go back to APEX for investigation/repair, and this seems a cheap spare to keep hold of.

I will be buying one today or tomorrow, so if peeps are interested I can update with pics and my opinion of the product.

Link to gauge Here!

If this product is old and been around for years then MOD's please delete thread, but its the first I have heard about it.

Mike

Last edited:

flashbsd

a bit of both really.

Mike had a bad experience with his autometer one, first ive ever heard.

But i would be sceptical miek to rely on a halfrauds one.

I would either drive without one or just take it straight to autometer. :)

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
a bit of both really.

Mike had a bad experience with his autometer one, first ive ever heard.

But i would be sceptical miek to rely on a halfrauds one.

I would either drive without one or just take it straight to autometer. :)

I thought it probably would be a bit of both to be honest

Yeah i thought they were a good make? Quite pricey too?

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Well i am sendign the other one off at mo, but for £20 if its crap I'll take it back to Halfords, but a few of the Punto GT boys run them with no issues... look good to, but I havent seen them myself yet...

Mike

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Updated With Pics & Brief Description

Well this lunchtime I have fitted my spare boost gauge, the Halfords AutoGauge for £19.99

dscf2544uy6.jpg

dscf2545uw3.jpg

Supplied Hosing... IMO better than the hard plastic stuff I got with my £50 gauge...

dscf2547lo3.jpg

4 wires come from rear of gauge. Orange Purple Yellow and Black. The Black is for the earth, easy bit! lol

All I have for my previous gauge is a +ive and a -ive wire. However this gauge has another 3 in addition to the earth wire...using the instructions and basic experimentation, you can get Red or Blue background without wiring the whole lot. I went for Red to match the interior, and therefore I have wired the Purple wire to the +ive coming from my dimmer switch.
Note: Doing it this way disables the colour selector knob. To use this function you must wire in correctly according to the instructions enclosed with the product.

dscf2551sl5.jpg

Replaced housing, routed hosing and wiring, hey presto...

dscf2555hv0.jpg

dscf2558qh6.jpg

dscf2559dd3.jpg

For those of you interested I bought my Gauge Holder from Here

Hope this helps anyone looking for a spare boost gauge, or even those wanting a cheap set up, as the holder was £25 and the gauge £20 which is £45.....my original gauge cost me £54!! :D

For wiring into dimmer switch see Here Post 53...

:) Mike :)

Last edited:

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Well its not quite step by step, more of a rough guide to the last part of the installation process. It doesn't include the running of the boost hosing, but its more to show the 'cheap' gauge alternative.....that I think looks just fine :D

lol

Mike

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
Well its not quite step by step, more of a rough guide to the last part of the installation process. It doesn't include the running of the boost hosing, but its more to show the 'cheap' gauge alternative.....that I think looks just fine :D

lol

Mike

Yeah but it does give you an idea of where things should go between the two threads, you know?

It does look good! The White background matches the White dials well ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
cant complain mike, looks good! :)

as long as its accurate tho!

i had a SW gauge at first but it made a ticking noise so changed it for the auto metre phantom one. yes they are not the cheapest gauge over here in the uk, but if u buy from the US (ebay! ;)) then u can get them for a good price... i paid £40 delivered for mine i think! :)

oh and i think if u painted ur silver bezzle black it could look better?! :shrug:

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Like I said for me its only a spare, hence not wiring it up as intended and not spraying the bezzle lol PMSL

Sits dead on 0 when off, even my Phantom one sits just under 0 when off, was too wet at lunch really to give it some, but seemed OK, slight buzzing but my gauges always seem to buzz :shrug:

Mike

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
Like I said for me its only a spare, hence not wiring it up as intended and not spraying the bezzle lol PMSL

Sits dead on 0 when off, even my Phantom one sits just under 0 when off, was too wet at lunch really to give it some, but seemed OK, slight buzzing but my gauges always seem to buzz :shrug:

Mike

Its probably a fly buzzing around because it needs hoovering :lol:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004

Mike

ok good point, forgot its a spare! :redface:

my phantom sits bang on zero when off too... urs must just be dodgy! :p

as for the slight buzzing you should not get any at all... but there are two things you can do to help.

get a copper T peice http://www.purems.com/products/product.php?PA=6&II=778&_cid= or put a copper stick inside the first 12" of the vacume tube from the back of the gauge and use a heat gun so it insulates the inside of the tube with copperm, then pull the copper stick out and job done.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members