Spring Snapped on Motorway

immersion

Auto emoción
Nov 1, 2008
Ireland
Hi Everyone

I was driving on the Motorway on saturday at about 80mph in my 03 1.2 and the drivers side spring just snapped and pushed its way up off the shock!

Is this a common thing to happen? i got the front bushes done three weeks ago is this related in anyway or just bad luck!

Thanks.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi Everyone

I was driving on the Motorway on saturday at about 80mph in my 03 1.2 and the drivers side spring just snapped and pushed its way up off the shock!

Is this a common thing to happen? i got the front bushes done three weeks ago is this related in anyway or just bad luck!

Thanks.

Well I bet that was interesting for you! My wife's car broke its O/S spring as I reversed it out of the garage - that was inconvenient enough for me (New Years Day)!

I really think that it is a combination of crap (steel) material and chipped paint, my VW garage had fully compressed that spring two days previously to change ARB. Maybe your fixer had compressed this one as well - either way fully compressing these springs will increase the chances of opening up any weak areas - then some short time later BANG!

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
Blimey,

so that's another one! My wifes 1.2's nsf spring went bang at the weekend it was sitting on the drive at the time, we'd been out in it only 20mins before! The top mount bearing is shot to bits too,
As others have said, you should do both springs during the repair, as the suspension will not be balanced correctly

Must have been the cold weather that's caused additional fatigue.

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
Hi Everyone

Thanks.

you had a lucky escape. this happend to my mate on the A82 except the spring cut his tyre open can opener style an he swerved across the road luckily he stopped with out hitting anything.

p.s. it was a saxo vts lol

immersion

Auto emoción
Nov 1, 2008
Ireland
It Sucks nothing but bad luck with my MK4! My old MK3 had no issues at all lol I have a 08 Leon 1.4 with Sport Up Kit as a Courtesy car i dont think il give it back :happy: