The 2019 Leon Copra 290 thread

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I thought it'd be a good idea to have a proper separate thread for all things Copra 290 (except for the ordering, which you can find here). This thread should be the place you can post the specs of your newly received Copra 290, some nice exhaust clips, drive-by videos, pops/bangs/crackles/farts theory crafting, the mods you've made, etc. Likewise, for anyone that doesn't (yet) have a Copra 290 this is the place you can learn all about the experience of having one.

Last edited:

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
To start off, this is the spec on my Copra 290 DSG:
  • Magnetic Tech
  • Black edition (includes Carbon R spoiler)
  • Bucket seats
  • Sunroof
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Keyless entry
  • Wireless phone charger
Here's a video of the car, detailing the carbon R spoiler and some revs, drive-by's, pops, bangs and all those nice things.

There was some rumour about the Copra 290 being unable to produce DSG farts, because of changes made for WLTP. This is why I set out to experiment with the car to see if that was actually true. As it turns out, it farts just fine, it's just a bit lower pitched than the older Cupra models, and maybe doesn't occur quite as much. I've attached an audio clip of several farts (and some pops and bangs) below.

You can get the car to fart pretty easily:
  1. Put the gearbox in manual mode
  2. Shift at a high rpm (>4k) under low load
Notice that there's no "hot exhaust" or "Sport/Cupra mode" requirements, although those will give you better farts. So to get the best farts:
  1. Make sure the the engine is nice and warm (oil temp >95C)
  2. Get into Sport or Cupra mode (haven't noticed a difference between those modes)
  3. Put the gearbox in manual
  4. Shift at a high rpm (>4k) under low load, the higher the rpm the better the fart
Under higher load the gearbox shift speed increases quite a bit, which may be causing the absence of farts (or at least making them inaudible from the cabin).

Attachments

• cupra_exhaust.mp3.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 208

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Thanks for the write up and the video. It looks ace! I especially like the Carbon spoiler. You got any plans for modding it? If so, you could also put up a readers ride.

Reactions: TheLuckys

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
You got any plans for modding it? If so, you could also put up a readers ride.
Right now I really wouldn't know what I'd mod. Exhaust mods are popular, but it's loud enough for me and as the clips demonstrate it makes all the right noises. However, if I do end up modding it I'll definitely put up a readers ride.

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
Absolute beaut of a car. I have around 12 weeks till my 2019 290 in Mystery Blue arrives to me. It's gonna be a long wait!

Is your exhaust completely standard? It sounds pretty good in the video.

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
This fills me with confidence now... After ordering the car I heard so many people saying it's super quiet and thing... Now don't get me wrong, I don't want it "mad boy racer" sounding but I do like the little pops and farts and things now and then. Plus from your video it sounds nice on start up and on idle. Here's hoping the UK version is exactly the same...

Reactions: Mystery290

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
I actually have another couple question... do all the 2019 Cupra’s come with the black rear window side spoiler things?

Is there a certain mileage the engine needs to hit before all its power or high revs are allowed?

And lastly (for now) when’s the very first service due on these? Is there a service due at a very low mileage?

Paul1979

Mar 30, 2018
To start off, this is the spec on my Copra 290 DSG:
You can get the car to fart pretty easily:
  1. Put the gearbox in manual mode
  2. Shift at a high rpm (>4k) under low load
Notice that there's no "hot exhaust" or "Sport/Cupra mode" requirements, although those will give you better farts. So to get the best farts:
  1. Make sure the the engine is nice and warm (oil temp >95C)
  2. Get into Sport or Cupra mode (haven't noticed a difference between those modes)
  3. Put the gearbox in manual
  4. Shift at a high rpm (>4k) under low load, the higher the rpm the better the fart
Under higher load the gearbox shift speed increases quite a bit, which may be causing the absence of farts (or at least making them inaudible from the cabin).

I will try this and see what mine does but as yet. (over 1000 miles) I am yet to hear a proper fart noise. Mine is the ST 300, so seriously considering getting a resonator delete.

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Reactions: Hickery1995

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I will try this and see what mine does but as yet. (over 1000 miles) I am yet to hear a proper fart noise. Mine is the ST 300, so seriously considering getting a resonator delete.
I know the STs have a different exhaust system which is more muted. Supposedly this is done because the ST is more likely to carry passengers in the back and SEAT thought they'd go crazy if exposed to the louder pops, bangs and farts.
Also, the 300 has the 6-speed DSG gearbox, not the 7-speed found in the new 290. So all in all I really can't say if my fart guide will work for you. It's worth a shot though, farting around in my car instantly makes my day.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I know the STs have a different exhaust system which is more muted. Supposedly this is done because the ST is more likely to carry passengers in the back and SEAT thought they'd go crazy if exposed to the louder pops, bangs and farts.
Also, the 300 has the 6-speed DSG gearbox, not the 7-speed found in the new 290. So all in all I really can't say if my fart guide will work for you. It's worth a shot though, farting around in my car instantly makes my day.
I thought the new 300ST had the 7 speed.

Don't forget the 4WD ST (which is the only one we get in the UK) is still 300. The FWD is 290.

Reactions: TheLuckys

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I thought the new 300ST had the 7 speed.

Don't forget the 4WD ST (which is the only one we get in the UK) is still 300. The FWD is 290.
Alright, didn't know the ST is still a 300 in the UK. In that case there is a slightly bigger chance my guide will work.

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
What I remember the 300 4drive 6speed I tested in september you could clearly hear farts on upshift during hard acceleration. But the 3004drive 7speed I tested I could only hear farts during light load and high rpms

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
All cupras in the UK come with 7 speed dsg. There is a thread going with pictures of the GPF and how it's replaced the resonator. No more res deletes I'm afraid.

Reactions: Mystery290