The Damp Smell

DarkSeat

Apr 23, 2006
Birmingham
Hey chaps,

Im sure with the sunny weekend weather to come everyones going to br out washing there cars, i know i am.

The problem is that i recently fixed a Leon Leak but I have started to get a real damp type of smell when i sit in the car, i've started to get use to it but the passengers have started to complain on the smell in my car, is there anything i can do to get rid of the nasty stink??????
:(:(:(

vinylrichy

Darker Than The Vinyl
Aug 3, 2006
Worthing West Sussex
i get the stink when i put my aircon on - its horrid!! - is there anyway to get rid of it from the aircon ive got a ambi thingy on it but the stink is that bad !!

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
I know the smell you mean - had it in my last car.

All you can do is wait for it to dry out (i.e. if you can leave it in this weekends sun - lets hope we get some!). Then you can tackle the smell - there are a lot of techniques such as charcoal to absorb the smell (do a google) but tbh nothing really got rid of the smell for me. It does go EVENTUALLY but only starts to go once the damp area has completely dried and carpet on cars can take blooming ages to dry. I actually used this potent air freshener and it worked well for a couple of weeks, then it came back! But it did go many months later.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
If you live in an area where you can leave the car running then leave it with the aircon on at maximum temperature and maximum fan speed on recirculate mode - that'll dry it out quite quickly.

The heat evaporates the water and then the recirc sucks in the humid air to be dried by the aircon - works a treat! ;)

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
To get rid of the smell from your carpets, get some shake n' vac, leave it for an hour and hoover off. It'll smell awesome afterwards!

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
if you've just fixed the door seal leak, then the next thing you need to do ideally is to remove the sound proofing which is underneath the carpet, and allow it to fully dry out before then refitting it into the car.

took me 2 hours to remove the interior and carpet the other night to refit the sound prrofing I'd removed the other week and left in the garage to dry out ;)

other than that, do as Tom has suggested and 'Shake'n'Vac' it ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise