This is the new Ibiza Cupra!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I can see people who own a low spec mk5 collecting a few stone chips and thinking :idea: I know, I'll get the nose painted black at my local bodyshop

Then there will be chavs in Saxo's doing the same with a spray can and parcel tape

hermann

My personal opinion - the TSI engine is an engineering marvel. The balance of performance & economy it foretells, along with its lower emissions, is the tale of the future...

As has been said, SEAT don't give a hoot as to whether people think it's not 'tuneable' enough - trends are governed by economic climate and the shift is to smaller & more efficient motors. I mean, do you honestly think the States would've envisioned a V6 Camaro (with talk of future 4-pot turbo-charged 'muscle cars') ten years ago?

The TSI concept is something that is going to be copied by every other manufacturer out there...

dancupra

whats to stop someone sourcing a 2.0l tfsi engine from a s3, cupra or ed30 and dropping that in ;)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I can't see what all the fuss is about

180 BHP is going to be plenty in a MK5

MY stock mk4 FR150 is enough for me and some and that's the truth

djjonnibgood

Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI "130"
Feb 13, 2007
Wakefield,West Yorkshire
I supose power isnt everything, after all its the performance figures that matter and if the car is shaved of excess weight it will be quick enough. Im sure as time goes on people will be able to make these engines produce big numbers after all its a relatively new motor

Skisbp

Cant see the 1.4TSI being a good tuner engine!

It's a great power-plant! Just not what many of you were hoping for in the Cupra...:rolleyes::whistle:

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the engine is total piece of s.it.
The rims and the brakes are some kind of joke.
But the engine,oh that cow crap.I am speechless

But wait it's a Cupra, shouldn't we all be...
:seatgod: :seatgod: :seatgod:

whats to stop someone sourcing a 2.0l TfSI engine from a S3, Cupra or ed30 and dropping that in ;)

[B)]Only Expense, Warranty, & Legality in some locals... To name a few!:doh:

I'm sure as time goes on people will be able to make these engines produce big numbers after all its a relatively new motor

This is a new variation, yet Revo(amongst other tuners) already have a StageI remap that makes up-wards of 200hp & gives it a very Derv. like torque curve!!!:drool:
Oh & that's on the least powerful 1.4TSI 140hp... Can just imagine if there are any mechanical differences on the 150hp,170hp,180hp versions...:funk:

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
I supose power isnt everything, after all its the performance figures that matter and if the car is shaved of excess weight it will be quick enough. Im sure as time goes on people will be able to make these engines produce big numbers after all its a relatively new motor

But does a 1.4 tsi have much capacity for tuning? Or will it be like a vtec, very expensive to tune for such a little jump in bhp

Poverty

My personal opinion - the TSI engine is an engineering marvel. The balance of performance & economy it foretells, along with its lower emissions, is the tale of the future...

As has been said, SEAT don't give a hoot as to whether people think it's not 'tuneable' enough - trends are governed by economic climate and the shift is to smaller & more efficient motors. I mean, do you honestly think the States would've envisioned a V6 Camaro (with talk of future 4-pot turbo-charged 'muscle cars') ten years ago?

The TSI concept is something that is going to be copied by every other manufacturer out there...

The concept is great, the excecution not all that great. As Ive said before, the EA888 series 2.0TFSI with 211hp gives alot more power, whilst drinking alot less fuel, and being less harmful to the environment. And I took those figures from the the 1200kg golf with the 1.4 TSI 170, and the 1550kg Audi A4, so with the EA888 fitted in a lighter car such as the golf the figures would be even more impressive.

Plus there will still be a V8 version of the camaro. GM realise that their most hardcore fans dont really acre too much about mpg and the likes, and SEAT should think the same, if you care so much about MPG etc dont buy the fastest version, simple really.

whats to stop someone sourcing a 2.0l tfsi engine from a s3, cupra or ed30 and dropping that in

Nothing really, but would it be worth all the hassle? The extra money you will spend just gettin the engine, and then getting it fitted would allow you to buy a scirrocco or Leon with it already fitted as standard.

Big numbers are possible, but it will be extremely expensive, and at the expensive of driveability, and reliability!.

But does a 1.4 tsi have much capacity for tuning? Or will it be like a vtec, very expensive to tune for such a little jump in bhp

For smallish power increases, 40bhp or so, the 1.4 TSI will be cheap to tune, unlike the vtec as its already using forced induction and you can just increase boost etc. However I dont think we will be seeing many 300bhp + ibizas like we have with the MK3 and MK4, which is a shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonidas

I wonder what's the weight difference between the golf GT170 1.4 TSi and the GTi 2.0Tfsi.

Leonidas

VW Golf TSI 170 GT
Tech: 1390cc 4cyl, FWD, 168bhp, 177lb ft, 1271kg, 178g/km CO2
Performance: 0-62mph in 7.9secs, 136mph, 38.2mpg

VW Golf GTi 200
Tech: 1984cc 4cyl, FWD, 200bhp, 207lb ft, 1372kg, 192g/km CO2
Performance: 0-62mph in 7.2secs, 147mph, 35.3mpg

Poverty

VW Golf TSI 170 GT
Tech: 1390cc 4cyl, FWD, 168bhp, 177lb ft, 1271kg, 178g/km CO2
Performance: 0-62mph in 7.9secs, 136mph, 38.2mpg

VW Golf GTi 200
Tech: 1984cc 4cyl, FWD, 200bhp, 207lb ft, 1372kg, 192g/km CO2
Performance: 0-62mph in 7.2secs, 147mph, 35.3mpg

I know the 2.0TFSI is roughly 150kg in engine weight but I cant find any data on the 1.4TSI.

What we have to remember is that the 2.0TFSI fitted in the stats above is the onld design architecture and not the new 2.oTFSI EA888 series engine which is lighter and more compact, and also gives more power and uses less fuel and kicks out less co2.

A5 2.0TFSI EA888 series 211ps

Engine (cc/type) 1984/4
Number of Valves 16
Fuel type Unleaded
Max power (bhp/rpm) 208/4300
Pulling power (lb/ft) 258
Kerb weight (kg) 1,420
0-60 mph (secs) 6.9
Max speed (mph) 155
Average mpg 42.8
CO2 rating (g/km) 154

Edit

2.0TFSI on old engine design (not ea888) in 272ps form weighs 153 kilograms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonidas

And is the 180TSi not a newer cleaner version of the 170TSi.
I heard a few months back the 170TSi was giving a bit of trouble, maby the 180TSi is the revised version. The 211ps looks very good aswell. It has less emissions than the 125TSi in the leon

Poverty

Ans is the 180TSi not a newer cleaner version of the 170TSi.
I heard a few months back the 170TSi was giving a bit of trouble, maby the 180TSi is the revised version. The 211ps look very good aswell. It has less emissions than the 125TSi in the leon

It could very well be a revised design. The 1.4 tsi 170 has been troublesome, and some whispers are that the 180 TSI is a updated design. We will find out in october for sure!

Leonidas

Only 4 weeks to go. I'm sure we'll no more a week before.
I wonder is audi puttin that valve lift into the 125TSi. the emissions would be really low(cheap tax here)

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
dont forget toyota made the glanza, starlet gt... 1.3 single turbo which produced 130-140bhp from standard, and many tuners easily got well into the 200-300bhp mark :) so naturally a 15 year more advanced vag engine will do fine tuning wise.

Isnt it cool to tell your friends you have a 1.4 which will leave scoobies behind?

they will just laugh until they see it :D

Smaller lump should make working in the engine bay easier too? Unless this is the lesser sports model e.g. FR in the mk4 range, lets hope they make a real good effort on the diesel lump. especially as skoda have no plans really for a decent vrs fabia tdi..

Poverty

Tuning a 1.3 turbo is a pretty simple task, its just like tuning a 1.8T or 2.0T etc. Easy to just bolt on bigger turbo etc.

Trouble with the twincharger is that the turbo and supercharger have a relationship where they work together, not at the same time but in a way to compliment each other. Thats where the difficult in lies with the 1.4 TSI.

Skisbp

It could very well be a revised design. The 1.4 TSI 170 has been troublesome, and some whispers are that the 180 TSI is a updated design. We will find out in October for sure!

Well if anyone can verify what changes were made for the 150hp version in the Tiguan. Then that should give us some pretty good ideas as to what they've done on the 180hp debuting in the Cupra.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members