tuning,quaife diff for leon cupra mk2

adamfoster

hi guys adam here from adam foster racing.
Thinking of buying an seat leon cupra mk2 2.0tfsi 240bhp k1.
Under a revo remap gets it to 300bhp and an exhaust and induction will get me to 320ish.
But how the hell can you get the power down, can you get a quaife diff for the cupra, and how much and who would do it??
also what bhp could i get for about £1000-£1500 for a safe set up without it blowin up?

thanks.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
can't really help with figures but I've seen somewhere on this forum that its possible to fit LSD to Leon

If you think about racing in it then good slimming holidays and it will be more effective than making it run gazillion horsepower ;-)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Hi Adam, welcome to SCN.

Yes Quaife do a diff for the VW 02Q 6 speed box fitted to the Cupra, as do Peloquin and Wavetrac. They will cost in the region of £700 not including fitting. Some of the folks on here are already discussing this for their Leon's here - http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246432&highlight=diff

A good suspension kit, anti roll bar upgrades and WALK anti-lift kit and engine mounts will also go some way to aid handling and help with traction, but the diff would be the cherry on top. Worth noting that if you had a diff fitted its a good time to get the clutch uprated at the same time so you maybe budgeting for anything upwards of £1600.

If you 'don't' include the cost of the remap which are usually around £400, a spend of £1000-£1500 on top of the remap then your aiming towards stage2+ area which is going to deliver around 340-360hp at the clutch. Dependent on the map or how aggressive you are with the setup as (REVO is adjustable).

No one has detonated an engine yet that I personally know of with many of these cars running in excess of 300hp at least and the same engine being run in the Golf Edition 30 and Audi S3 they have a great number being modified and its rare I've heard of common failures. A turbo went on one recently, but its believed it sucked something in it shouldn't of which ended up ruining the blades, a replacement turbo was fitted and as far as I know all is now well.

The basic mods required for a strong stage2+ would be:

An up-rated fuel pump (either APR pump which is a complete replacement unit for around £650 or an upgrade kit which replaces the internals of the OEM pump usually around £300),

a Full Milltek or alternatively a Blueflame Exhaust (inc downpipe) £800 - £1000,

a full intake is proven to give a good increase as much as 15-20hp the intake of the moment is the ITG kit which is around £350, but you also have DBilas, Backdraft, and Forge will start shipping their Twintake system soon too.

then you can also add an up-rated intercooler (best examples being either APR or Forge Twintercooler which range from £500-£900 fitted or a cheaper alternative would be an Audi S3 OEM intercooler which come in around £350 fitted)

Once you have those mods your most of the way set for going to a bigger turbo in the future if you wanted to as well.

Last edited:

Poverty

with just the map it wasnt too bad. With full stage 2 plus 1st and 2nd gear are useless. 3rd gear is alright with a nicely modulating right foot.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Quaife is definitely doable for the Cupra. I have a Quaife ATB diff fitted onto my DSG (edition 30) and it is a superb modification.

Regarding power mods, I mainly agree with Mark (ZBOYD) but would forget the S3 intercooler and go for either the Twintercooler, APR or THS intercooler. The S3 'cooler isn't really much of a benefit to power over the Cupra one and a THS 'cooler would be about £200-£250 more than the S3 with much better benefits. The Twintercooler would be cheaper to fit, but costs more than the THS one and the APR is the most expensive, but is a fine bit of kit.

On the intake side there is also the EVOM's intake if you like a louder sound:)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I only mentioned the S3 one because some seem to consider it as a viable affordable option. If I didn't mention it someone else would of. :D

I personally run an APR IC, lots of capacity with great performance nd is quite stealthy fitted in the OEM location which I like and would wholey recommend it. However the other aftermarket IC options are all good products too and will deliver results. :)

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The S3 'cooler isn't really much of a benefit to power over the Cupra one and a

Not true John ;)

The S3 intercooler is quite a bit more efficient than the OEM core and I have logs to prove it :)

Out of interest, has there been side by side tests of all the intercooler cores? To my knowlege ther hasnt been, so to say one is better than another is really not possible.

To the OP, regarding diffs, I should be able to comment on the Wavetrac within a month from now :)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
In regards to the APR it was designed specifically for their stg3+ kits and to fit in the OEM space with almost 3 times the core size of the OEM parts.

I saw a healthy increase in performance on road which was verified on graphs after mine was fitted last year, more so logs would really need to be undertaken under very similar ambient temperatures to be a fair gauge. Back to back tests with lots of manufacturers would be a hefty undertaking. I considered the S3 core but having seen the build quality and design and efficiency of the APR cooler and the untapped potential (for future development) I felt it was worth paying that little extra for.

Intercoolers do provide a little more power and torque, but its a modification that is more about balancing and reducing boost/air temps quickly. The more efficient the core space the faster the heat is dissipated and the faster the heat is dissipated the more sustained the boost and the faster it recovers.

I've noticed on subsequent RR runs mine will repeat its figures very closely and recover quickly, intake temps at idle are sustained and drop dramatically under boost even when the car is static on a RR at the height of summer. An IC is a great mod for sustaining the potential you have and making it usable and also goes some way to not over-working the turbo and other components, as too much heat only kills the power.

Last edited:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
just a quick question all, getting the clutch done soon but think im gonna go for either a quaife lsd or some kw v3's but i carnt decide which one, anyone wanna :help:?

Poverty

just a quick question all, getting the clutch done soon but think im gonna go for either a quaife lsd or some kw v3's but i carnt decide which one, anyone wanna :help:?

do the diff;)

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Not true John ;)

The S3 intercooler is quite a bit more efficient than the OEM core and I have logs to prove it :)

Out of interest, has there been side by side tests of all the intercooler cores? To my knowlege ther hasnt been, so to say one is better than another is really not possible.

To the OP, regarding diffs, I should be able to comment on the Wavetrac within a month from now :)

Wouldn't mind seeing those logs if you could pm them for me :)

Just that I had info from a member that said only a small gain and would have fitted the Twintercooler given the choice again:confused:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The diff is now in the UK and on its way to be paired with the gearbox. Should have it with me by Feb :)

John - Will dig them out for you :)

Leonneke

Hello there Adam: My Car is 'running' in the Netherlands. I have done nearly all the mods you guy's over there name Stage II +III My car is engineered by J.D. in het Netherlands.
350 hp at this time and torque is nearly 450 Nm. It will be tuned even more this month. ( It will reach about 400 bhp with a planned turbo-mod )

I have WALK - stabi at the back - Bilstein BTK 12..... That wil not be enough to make the power come out at the right way. You cannot run the car with lots of power in corners and when steering firmly. You will loose control in corners, in gear 1-2-3 and very important, you will loose control with bad weather.

The best mod EVER is the Quaife diff. Make sure they mount the ARP bolts - special gearings. ( Peloquin is an option - I recommend Quaife )
It makes the car more safe. Far, far more control. And not only, when 'racing'.. But now, with snow and rain and very bad roads, the diff is really the best mod to thinks of.
If you are used to taking curves with some power, now you can hook those curves and pull your car with full control out of the corner. You have to learn to drive with the diff, but it makes it far more safe and more easy to handle. For me, really the best mod ever. When you go beyond 250 bhp, this diff is a must. If I had to to it all again. Start with the diff. Learn to drive with the diff. Then tune up your car. A cherrynut on the cake is really the wrong way to describe it. It is a absolute must. And it is not the cherrynut. It is the whole cake itself.
If you run that much power, and you are not missing the diff, then you are really not driving the car.

I have allready had the luck of driving a 400 bhp with a diff. Without a diff, you really can not use the power as it should be used. You will get wheelspin in gear 4 at a dry road. Try the diff. You'll understand what I mean ........ Power really needs control. But make sure the best bolts and mountingproducts are used. Quaiffe is lifetime warranty. You will not destroy it, if mounted correctly. Takes about 10 hours to be built in the gearbox ..........

As far as the intercooler goes. This will give you ZERO power. You just need it, if you are running the car to its limits and keep it up there for more than 30 minutes.
Save the money on the intercooler. Only if you hit circuits. I would go for better brakes. Grooved discs and 2500 DS blocks. Again - Power needs control.c.
The standard brakes on the Cupra are not good enough when you are running 350 bhp plus. If you stay with the K04 TFSI Turbo, don't spent your money on the I.C. Or do you really push your car to the limits for one hour ?????? Just my opinion. Based on experience with all the mods.

A Cupra with 250 bhp and diff will overtake a Cupra with 350 bhp when coming out of a corner ... And in gear 1-2-3 it will overtake the 350 version also. That is really the benifit of a good LSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hello there Adam: My Car is 'running' in the Netherlands. I have done nearly all the mods you guy's over there name Stage II +III My car is engineered by J.D. in het Netherlands.
350 hp at this time and torque is nearly 450 Nm. It will be tuned even more this month. ( It will reach about 400 bhp with a planned turbo-mod )

I have WALK - stabi at the back - Bilstein BTK 12..... That wil not be enough to make the power come out at the right way. You cannot run the car with lots of power in corners and when steering firmly. You will loose control in corners, in gear 1-2-3 and very important, you will loose control with bad weather.

The best mod EVER is the Quaife diff. Make sure they mount the ARP bolts - special gearings. ( Peloquin is an option - I recommend Quaife )
It makes the car more safe. Far, far more control. And not only, when 'racing'.. But now, with snow and rain and very bad roads, the diff is really the best mod to thinks of.
If you are used to taking curves with some power, now you can hook those curves and pull your car with full control out of the corner. You have to learn to drive with the diff, but it makes it far more safe and more easy to handle. For me, really the best mod ever. When you go beyond 250 bhp, this diff is a must. If I had to to it all again. Start with the diff. Learn to drive with the diff. Then tune up your car. A cherrynut on the cake is really the wrong way to describe it. It is a absolute must. And it is not the cherrynut. It is the whole cake itself.
If you run that much power, and you are not missing the diff, then you are really not driving the car.

I have allready had the luck of driving a 400 bhp with a diff. Without a diff, you really can not use the power as it should be used. You will get wheelspin in gear 4 at a dry road. Try the diff. You'll understand what I mean ........ Power really needs control. But make sure the best bolts and mountingproducts are used. Quaiffe is lifetime warranty. You will not destroy it, if mounted correctly. Takes about 10 hours to be built in the gearbox ..........

As far as the intercooler goes. This will give you ZERO power. You just need it, if you are running the car to its limits and keep it up there for more than 30 minutes.
Save the money on the intercooler. Only if you hit circuits. I would go for better brakes. Grooved discs and 2500 DS blocks. Again - Power needs control.c.
The standard brakes on the Cupra are not good enough when you are running 350 bhp plus. If you stay with the K04 TFSI Turbo, don't spent your money on the I.C. Or do you really push your car to the limits for one hour ?????? Just my opinion. Based on experience with all the mods.

A Cupra with 250 bhp and diff will overtake a Cupra with 350 bhp when coming out of a corner ... And in gear 1-2-3 it will overtake the 350 version also. That is really the benifit of a good LSD.

i agree with all the above apart from the intercooler bit, its a must i blow a turbo :cry: becuase of this and it does add power and more low down shove imo.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise