Twintercooler fitted!! Now with added ITG intake!!

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Just bought Rob GTI's Twintercooler as he's defected to the other side and it wouldn't fit his Edition 30 Golf. Downloaded fitting instructions from Forge website, thought "that doesn't look too hard" .............3 1/2 hours later................ 30 screws to get the bumper and undertray off, move horn brackets, move airtemp sensor, remove several plastic guides and ducts, drill holes to mount i/c, line up hoses, trim hoses, remove lower strengthener from inside bumper, reassemble............. Then found i/c hoses rub on chassis, make pads to protect, then found clips for honeycomb grille foul hoses, make pads to protect, enlarge hole for airtemp sensor, finally done! Also beware (as Rob found out, bless him) one of the screws for the undertray when put back in pierces the driver's side hose! However, what a difference! The car feels a lot more urgent now, pulls harder to the red line and seat of pants dyno backs up Forge's claim of around 10 bhp gain! Wasn't sure it would but there ya go...... Just waiting for the CAI kit to arrive from ITG, 2nd production one, £320 + vat, maybe worth asking about a group buy? A benefit of removing some of the plastic is that there is now a clear run from the grille area around the fog light which runs right to where the filter for the CAI will be, handy! I'll put up some pics when that's done cos I don't think we've seen it on a Cupra yet? I think my car has been crying out for these mods since I stage 2+ 'd it with only the fuel pump and a panel filter, be interesting to see how it goes with the CAI! That should make a difference with increased flow and cooler temps. I've been a little disappointed with the stage 2+, thought it would make a bigger difference over stage 1, maybe my settings (B8, T5, F7) were too aggressive and the mods will allow the engine to work better, possibly the ECU was pulling back on the boost a bit with the temps being a bit high? After CAI, I'll get the sports cat fitted and then set it all up on the dyno again!

Last edited:

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Did this a couple of weeks ago, just too busy having fun, fitted NGK Iridiums and BSH PCV kit on thursday, made a vast improvement, so much smoother, I might be tempted by the Forge Twintake, so I'll be selling the Dbilas at some point...

DSC00191.jpg

Igor23

Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
On a pure physics point, black absorbs heat, surely you'd want a cooler to reflect any external heat ?? Also, your square number plate must restrict airflow to your IC, why not have a normal number plate, seems to make more sense IMHO, but hey, if you're happy with it...

Last edited:

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Actually, black RADIATES heat, why do you think radiators are always black? Yes, it absorbs it too, but not a lot of sunshine in that position......... Was a 2 micron thick coating applied and recommended by Forge so it won't affect the thermal efficiency of the cooler. Numberplates already changed, just haven't updated pic, already had my wrist slapped by DJ Horace on that one!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Numberplates already changed, just haven't updated pic, already had my wrist slapped by DJ Horace on that one!

Good lad :D. It will look loads better now too :). Like the look of the front of yours bob. They grey looks good when all polished up and that core looks menacing!

I fancy one of these now, and will be keeping an eye out for a decent deal on one to pair up with the S3 core I already have as I cant be arsed pulling the front end completely off the car for a 4th time to add a different core - the twintercooler looks pretty easy to fit.

Can you guys with these confirm if the hoses for the Forge are just silicone or do they have a special fitment on them to use the OEM clips from the stock intercooler pipes?

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Top job! I too would prefer the more stealthy look in black. I wonder how the Forge Twin Cooler performs compared to the THS? I need to sort something in the near future but don't know which to go for. Logs anyone?

Igor23

Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
Good lad :D. It will look loads better now too :). Like the look of the front of yours bob. The grey looks good when all polished up and that core looks menacing!

I wanted to get the Forge logo stencilled on it, but Forge couldn't supply a stencil, got mine from ebay, amarillo_motorsport_uk is the username, £460 inc p&p, couldn't be arsed to fit it myself, JBS did it for a very reasonable price, and also tempted me with some Eurojet turbo pipes and a water methanol kit, but SWMBO would have taken a sharp knife to the family jewels if I'd spent anymore... :scary:

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Good price Igor! Definitely makes a difference doesn't it! Rob, you know you can never have too much of a good thing! How's the CAI btw? Should receive mine on Monday, #2 in world! Looking forward to fitting that after the intercooler PITA!

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Good price Igor! Definitely makes a difference doesn't it! Rob, you know you can never have too much of a good thing! How's the CAI btw? Should receive mine on Monday, #2 in world! Looking forward to fitting that after the intercooler PITA!

The intake is great havnt had any issues so far with missfiring or hesitation possibly because the maf housing is right for revo software, and i think your #3 if you count Revos K1. Youll have a very very strong car once the intake is fitted thats for sure, just want to get mine on the dyno now to see the improvment.

Wouldnt mind a couple of chassis mods now to help with the power.

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
OMG! Got the ITG intake today, just put it on, dead easy, took about 45 mins. Just as Warren Cox has said, the build quality is amazing and everything fits exactly as it should. Start it up, no difference, go for a drive, crikey! Sounds like a hoover in the glovebox, but I guess it always would! You can hear every chirp, suck, hiss and twitter from the filter, love it! As to how much better it is, difficult to tell because the noise is so different now, will get on the dyno at the end of the month when the downpipe arrives. On another note, after driving the car yesterday after fitting the intercooler, I suddenly noticed after an hour or so a real and I mean REAL increase in power! This coincided with the chirp from the DV changing to a chirp followed by by wuwuwu, methinks the boost settings were too high originally and the ECU was pulling back and now it's adapted, feels like another 15-20bhp, nice! The car just pulls and pulls hard all the way to the redline like it never has before!
DSC00170.jpg

Cupraken

Southwest Stealth
Apr 10, 2009
Street, Somerset
Down in Street, bring the missus and leave her in Clarks Village! Welcome anytime for a ride and a brew, yours standard? Never been in a std Cupra, mine had an unknown map when I bought it, mental torque, no bhp!

robjnr

258 spanish donkeys
Oct 24, 2007
Bristol
We will have to arrange something mate,

yeh mine is standard at the moment, be good to see and here what a modded cupra sounds like, i've only heard a milltek exhaust and that was crazy loud, that was before i was evan thinking of getting a cupra

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
hi cupraken

I think your probably right about the boost settings and ecu adjusting accordingly as i felt that, although all that extra air deffinetly helps top end.

Glad you like your intake and it does sound properly psycho on boost.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.