gib20vt

May 11, 2008
Cumbria
Slight problem...but unsure what it is??

I have had this on going knocking noise comin from the front end when turning, mainly happens if I am going over uneven road surface whilst turning (pulling into juctions etc...) at the weekend I was in scotland and driving down a cobbled street and the steering wheel didn't feel as if it was connected to the car, there was this very slight knocking noise too - but whislt I was driving round the corner with the wheels turned it just felt like the wheel was loose!

I got a garage to have a look at it today and they couldn't find anything wrong - I have uprated anti roll bars too but this was happening before these were put on.

something just doesn't feel right. any ideas please :shrug:

gib20vt

May 11, 2008
Cumbria
LCR doing my head in!!!

I have owned my LCR now for 6 months and since owning it I have spent nearly £2.5k on her! I have replaced alot of parts as she has done 103k - but also spent some on performance mods, exhaust, filter, stage 2 revo etc... the car is in mint condition. But I a am getting sick of the steering problem I have had on going since buying the car.

When turning right (doing about 10mph or even slower) whilst going over a rough/uneven road surface you can hear what I can only describe as something being loose like a slight knock. like the ARB but I have replaced it with a uprated one 2 month ago, I have had the car checked over by a few garages and friends who are mechanics and can't find any worn bush/track rod/ ball joint etc..... just this week I have been away for work and on returning I now have a slight squeek/rubbing noise when I am moving slowly over unever road surface :cry:

its doing my head in that much I feel like selling up and buying a new car.

any idea's on what could be causing this problem in the steering dept. any help would be great :)

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
had the same thing a while back and it turned out to be the ball joint which had hardly any play in it:D

justsean

Apr 4, 2008
Cumbria
hey richard,

you around this weekend? might give you a text tommorrow and come see your LCR, might be able to give you a second opinion on the noise but i dont really know much anyway so doubt il be much help...:blink:

gib20vt

May 11, 2008
Cumbria
The garage who checked it over is a trusted place in preston ( i live a hour away) they said they checked over all the bush's and ball joints and gave it a test drive but couldn't find a fault. Might just replace all the parts least then I don't have to replace them in future. The steering just doesn't feel right!

justsean - yeah I'm around this weekend, just give us a txt :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The top mounts are uncheckable until you remove these, even then unless there is a serious failure it is difficult to tell the state of these.
Get them changed as you said to eliminate them for the equation.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
I have the uprated 'dogbone' mount (lower mount) can you uprated the other ones?

yeah you can get after market engine mounts from vibra technics etc

I had a bolt weaken on the nearside engine mount (gearbox) kept knocking now and again and then when it snapped altogether I got the most bizarre transmission noise coming in to the cabin as the gearbox had dropped slightly and was touching the anti-roll bar

gib20vt

May 11, 2008
Cumbria
The LCR has decided to play silly buggers! :( along with the steering have a slight knock when turning - and now have a very slight knock noise when driving normally - the disc's have decided to warp them selfs! :cry: they are only 4 month old too. coming home last ngt was doing around 70-80mph put my foot on brake to slow down and the sound was awfull, sounded like a wheel was coming off! they are EBC disc's and pads

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Have you checked to see if the wheels is coming off, it's been known.

Are you 100% it's warped discs, even though people speak about this alot its more comonly disc/pads pick up.
You can freshen these up by re bedding these in to see if that helps.
Try the braking section and search under bedding in pads, I posted a link to the the stop tech website about this topic

gulzar

LCR jabba'd
Oct 1, 2007
i no a few people with ebc stuff having used and used them myself on a different car.. they arent the best on these cars. stick to known brands like brembo. ferrodo. standard brembo disc with ferrodo pad seems to work brilliantly. stay away from pagid oe replacemnt pads for lcr. they cant cope and damage the disc. i learnt the hard way. sorry but cant be much help on steering noise.

gulzar

gib20vt

May 11, 2008
Cumbria
I had the same problem when I first got the car changed the disc's and it was fine. might remove them and clean them all up se if that helps - many thanks for your help guys :)

the slight knocking noise when driving normally but hitting the grids and bumps is that down to strut top or drop link

think I'm going to replace all the parts

B3LSY

i get this knocking noise to, could be worse had mine 7 months an paid out around £7k,only paid £4950 for the car

gib20vt

May 11, 2008
Cumbria
Thats the thing - to either cut my losses short and just put up with it until it get serious or sell car with it. as in 6 months i'm thinking of maybe selling up (1st house ect....)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise